Recently built a new computer and decided with an RX 5700XT as RTX 2070 Super was more difficult to get for me and the extra $100 CAD wasn't worth ray tracing or the near identical performance in the games I'd be playing at 1080p.
-Basically I have had lots of trouble getting this GPU to work properly without crashing my computer or recently its been only freezing and I feel there's nothing more I can do. Also I have only had this computer for little over 3 weeks on a clean windows install.
CPU: R5 3600(non X)
Mobo: Asus X570-P
RAM: G Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz 16CL (Used DOCP in BIOS to achieve 3600MHz)
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB AORUS Video Card
SSD: 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe
PSU: Corsair CV 650 80+ Bronze
Monitors: DisPort Acer XF240H(Primary) & HDMI Acer P206HL(Secondary)
*All temps are Celsius*
-I've tried numerous "solutions" that have seemed to work for other people or just things with my knowledge that are red flags to crashing or caused errors in Event Viewer that I knew how to deal with myself.
-I have in the past few days of my troubleshooting and "fixing" caused my computer to stop full on crashing during a game but now it simply freezes it will still play any audio like that of the game or spotify/youtube but the screen will keep displaying the screen it froze on for at least 5 minutes as I've not waited any longer before restarting.
-My temps seem okay, GPU temp on Adrenalin and HWMonitor Idle at 49(lowest I've seen)-56(highest I've seen) and during gaming anywhere from 64-high 70s maybe low 80's, haven't seen anything really above 80 lately. Junction/Hotspot temps are about the same as GPU idle but reach 85-110(not 110 as often since new case fans) during load
-CPU Temps haven't reached anything higher than low 80's since new fans as well
-Wattage during freezing is normally quite low(80-160W) not often anywhere near the 225W the GPU is said to max at and 650W should be more than enough
Things I've done/tried:
- DUU'd drivers, fresh install (Not turning on gaming mode said casual or custom)(Multiple times)
- BIOS Updated to latest
- Chipset Drivers updated(2x)
- Fixed all things causing errors in Event Viewer (ATI External Events Utility, Headset driver that caused errors)
- Windows Update
- Set PCI to Gen 3
- Set High performance modes
- Re-seating GPU
- No Hardware Acceleration (Discord, Google, & Spotify)
- Checking drives for corruption
- Graphics settings in Adrenalin
- Anti-lag OFF
- Chill OFF
- Boost OFF
- Img. Sharpening OFF
- Enhanced Sync OFF
- Freesync OFF
Games I've played so far(All 1080p):
- Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition (Max settings) (Freezes very frequently)
- Rainbow 6 (Low sett.) (Freezes as well)
- The Witcher 3(Max) (Hav en't spent an hour in one run so far but no freezing)
- Monster Hunter World (Max) (Been a while since played(before troubleshooting) it was the first game to crash)
- Minecraft w/ Shaders (No freezing(Little GPU usage))
There's probably more but I will be open to suggestion if there's more or might've been something I overlooked. Regardless if none of this works I'm posting this in hopes that not only I find a solution for myself but things that I've tried may be the answer for others.
I am iffy with messing with tuning, under volting and fan curves as I want to keep my warranty intact as a last resort if I can't fix it but I very much don't want to have to resort to a warranty.
*At some points Event Viewer would show "Fatal hardware error has occurred"