General Discussions

ineedhelpplease
Journeyman III

I bought amd fx 8350 and it shows only 6 cores

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

Can someone help how i get my 8cores and 8 threads to use

0 Likes
11 Replies

Is your motherboard BIOS update, and does your motherboard state it supports the FX-8350? Also, the FX-8350 will show 4 cores 8 threads in Task Manager.

0 Likes

I think those are 8 cores with no hyper threading. Of course the debate over real cores exists but it should show as 8 cores 8 threads I think. Likely just needs a bios update to the MB. 

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350 

If the OP would give their MB model one of us could point to a bios update for them. 

0 Likes

I have a FX8350 and in Windows Task Manager it show 4 physical cores and 8 logical Processors while in CPU-Z it show 8 cores and 8 Threads.

I agree, knowing the Motherboard at least it will show the last BIOS update. Most likely that Motherboard is not supported anymore with BIOS or Driver updates by the Manufacturer.

0 Likes

I wonder if Windows is now not calling them real cores and that is why they list it as 4? I know AMD still calls it 8 cores and 8 threads. Do you remember if any previous version of Win 10 ever showed it as 8? 

0 Likes

Did you notice at the top of the Windows, window it reads 8530 8 core.

0 Likes

Just to add, Check your BIOS Settings to make sure your Processors cores are all enabled or unlocked.

0 Likes

Ya i got all cores activated. but i dont know do i have enough ram i have 8gb and games has lower fps what i have with my last processor amd fx 6300 should i buy more ram 

0 Likes

In general ram is not going to add more frames, except at transition points, like loading a new level if it has to page memory as it can't hold it all in your 8gb or ram. However a lot of games these days really do take advantage of up to 16gb of ram. Even going to 12 would be a good increase. A lot of times you can pickup a couple 2gb sticks cheap as people ditch them to go to 16. 

The fact though that you say your frames are lower plus it is not recognizing the cores and threads properly is an issue. 8350 is a faster chip per core so it should give increased frames. Have you verified you are on the latest Bios for your mother board as well as running the lates chipset driver. Also are you on the latest version of Windows and it is fully updated?

my motherboard is asus m5a87 and the network says amd fx 8350 processor are supported 

0 Likes

You're MB only supports it with Bios 1301 or later and it looks like these shipped with a much earlier bios, and the bios is up to 1506. You need to load the latest bios.  

M5A87 CPU Support | Motherboards | ASUS Global 

0 Likes

And another thing to say is that the FX-8350 is, by today's standards, an incredibly slow processor, it's, at best, only as fast as the lowest end first generation Ryzen processor, the Ryzen 3 1200, and is only a quarter as fast as the Ryzen 7 3700X, and really just only makes the bare minimum requirement for new games, so you have to temper your expectations. Honestly I wouldn't bother adding more RAM, but upgrade to a new system.

0 Likes