c0mecl4rity

RX 5700 XT Crashes

Discussion created by c0mecl4rity on Nov 10, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2019 by lr888

Hello and sorry for bad English, it's not my native language.

So I have bought a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT in September and have experienced many game crashes/hangs.

I already read many threads at different boards and tried many things to troubleshoot this problem.

But at this point there is no solution for me and I'm thinking about to try reclaiming the card.

(And replace the card with one of the green team, because I've read about similar issues since the Vega cards.)

At first my hardware setup (Everything bought in September):

• MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi (Newest BIOS)
  • 32GB DDR4-3600 RAM (2 Modules, Dual Rank)
  • 650W BeQuiet Straight Power 11
  • AMD Ryzen 3700X
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
  • 2560x1440 @ 144Hz ASUS MG279Q (Connected over DisplayPort)

My operating systems are: Windows 10 (1903) and Kubuntu 18.04 (Only Version that worked without blackscreen), all up do date and the crashes occur on both systems in any game.

Under Linux I'm using the only available driver package 19.30. (Pro, because Vulkan isn't working in standard version)

Under Windows I've tried all driver versions since September: 19.9.1, 19.9.3, 19.10.1, 19.10.2, 19.11.1, the crashes occur on any available driver. (Of course I've reinstalled clean. With and without DDU)

Because under 19.11.1 I had massive fragments/flickering I've downgraded to 19.10.2. (Videos attached)

I've played some games under Linux and Windows so I know that even a change of the rendering API makes no differences, games crash anyway under DirectX 11/12, OpenGL and Vulkan.

The BIOS is at current available version, different versions (I have tried them all) had no effect.

The PCI slot is set from 4 to 3 (As mentioned from many users), but had no effect.

The card is a little bit overclocked in stock settings so a friend mentioned to underclock the GPU, my current Settings are 1900Mhz ~ 1160mV. (Stock settings are 2000Mhz ~ 1170mV) Changing the clockspeed or the powerlimit had no effect, still crashing. (I've tried even 1700Mhz to be sure)

Temperatures are relative high in view of the fact, that I've set a high fan curve. (Up to 100% at 80°C)

GPU 70-75°C and Junction 90-95°C (average)

Different VSync settings had no effect either.

Currently Freesync and VSync are disabled.

The PSU seems good, there was no 12V drop under a Furmark stress test. (Tested under multiple clock settings)

When a game crashes sometimes there is a log in the Windows EventManager, but the most times there is no log entry at all. The only display related log is following warning: "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

Games played since September (all crashed randomly):

• Tomb Raider (Linux)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (Linux)
  • Company of Heroes 2 (Linux)
  • Path of Exile
  • Division 2
  • Spellforce 3: Soul Harvest (Base game ins't even playable but that seems to be a game related issue)
  • Sniper Elite 4

I've played all these games on high settings. (And when they run, they run just fine) Some of them are not that performance intensive. I've tried different VSync settings, 1080p resolution, Fullscreen, Window, Windowed Fullscreen.

Sometimes it is possible to play for hours without a crash, but it's only a matter of time until the next crash occurs.

And sometimes games crash many times within one hour. (In this case a reboot can help)

So I wanted to share my experience with this card. My conclusion is, that there is no solution for me as a user than waiting for a new driver. On condition that these issues are driver related at all...

Outcomes