cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

phin46
Adept I

Problems with 5700xt

So I have recently built a new PC and have been having some issues. Often times on restart my PC will get stuck trying to boot and not display any output to the monitor. When  this occurs the VGA debug led on my motherboard will be lit (according to the mobo manual this means the graphics card is not functioning properly). My event viewer is filled with WHEA corrected hardware errors and I have had several BSODs. Furthermore, I have had to reinstall win10 several times as it seems to corrupt sometimes. One some occasions I experience green color corruption when resuming windows from sleep mode (I will add a video to better communicate what I mean).

I have tried to,

- reinstall windows many times

- used DDU to reinstall drivers and always keep the latest drivers

- updated BIOS to latest version

- chnged PCIE version from 4.0 to 3.0

- moved from nvme ssd to 7200 RPM drive

- tried various RAM configurations enabling/disabling XMP

- installed  latest chipset drivers from AMD

In addition to these issues I have started to experience microstutter in cs go. Normally I get 280 frames on max settings constantly but it not fluctuates between 100 and 290 producing microstutter.

I do not know whether I have a more serious hardware issue and have to RMA some components or if this is just a driver bug and I am paying the so called early adopters tax.

Specifications:

Motherboard: Aorus x570 pro wifi

CPU: 3900x

GPU: 5700x

PSU: Corsair RM 650x

RAM: Corsair 3200Mhz 2x16GB kit 

HDD: 7200 RPM 

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus

UPDATE:

* Changing PCIE 4.0 to 3.0 in my BIOS has fixed the boot issue, BSOD issue and the WHEA corrected hardware issues. I will update if they resurface.

* Updated drivers to 19.8.1 (used DDU to remove old ones first)

* As of right now, certain steam games (CSGO for example) fail to launch giving me a "failed to create D3D device error". Simply resetting WattMan setting to default seems to allow me to launch the game once before the issue resurfaces. Moreover, I still experience stuttering in CS GO. 

19 Replies
geegeebro
Journeyman III

Welcome to the club; there is no official fix but, some people are starting to report that turning your PCI-E controller (in BIOS) from 'Auto' to Gen 3 is improving or helping.  there is no response from AMD on this

0 Likes
jadeite
Journeyman III

Man, you have nice PC. I want to believe ppl from AMD read this topics and will do something with their new cards.

PS. If we want to be heared, we need post about every problems what we have. How can I see, AMD don't have auto bug-report. If you will have driver crush, PC shutdown or something like this - no one will know about this except us.

0 Likes
lauralaw
Adept I

;I am having this issue, even built a new pc thinking i was having some kind of sata controller or motherboard failure issues going on. I am 4 days in trying everything you can imagine on the new build to get a stable boot environment and I just can't find it. I have tried everything under the sun minus pulling the card and throwing it in the garbage. I know it is something to do with the card or the drivers as my 980 works fine

0 Likes

set your PCIe support to Gen 3 in BIOS. 100% fixed the BSOD issues for me.

edit; whelp, as soon as I typed this I had a kernal security check crash.

guess I'm a liar.

0 Likes

been done with that, have tried pretty much every suggestion over the past two weeks. I either have a bad card or they are having serious issues with the card/driver

0 Likes
ychack
Journeyman III

Hello,

Wanted to share some similar issues with my build: New PC finish building it 2-3 days ago (MSI X470, AMD Ryzen 3600, G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200 DDR4 and the 5700RX XT).

I have been getting the BSOD (atikmpag.sys) about once a day, mostly while browsing the web (not in game yet). Also the Wattman global setting is blank. nothing shows up. The graphic card seem to be working OK, but it seems the fan will ramp up at random even when not doing much (like typing this post).

I have reinstalled the driver 3 -4 times now (in safe mode and with DDU for clean up). actually on the 3 re-install I got the BSOD as well.

Last, I am not so versed in deep trouble shooting (this is the 1st cpu i build).

Just wanted to share some of the issue. I suspect this is still related to the drivers of the graphic card, but what do I know!

Cheers,

0 Likes

I am starting to feel pretty confident in saying that there seems to be a specific issue with the drivers and the card. I'm wondering if it's specific cards and specific builds that caused the drivers to crash windows. And don't feel bad if you only reinstalled Windows a few time. I know I've done it at least 10 times replace hard drives and ended up building an entirely new computer and still have the same issues. The most current driver will give you a blue screen of death if you try to access the RGB controls on a gigabyte hard motherboard.

0 Likes
phin46
Adept I

One person mentioned my 650 watt PSU might be insufficient and for whatever reason deleted the comment after. Is it possible 650 watts is not enough for this build? Could a 850 watt power supply fix some (if not all) of my problems?

0 Likes

He stated the blue screen is power supply but I disagree 100% to many people getting the bsod and I can replicate mine every single install I have done. They recommend a 550watt in your system

0 Likes

I wrote. You are not following this page.

0 Likes

@msftbsrn980 If you have any useful information, feel free to post it; someone may find it useful.

0 Likes

Your system needs 500W at full load. So you need a minimum 600W PSU. But you get a black screen and the sound of your fans is heard. Probably the graphics card fails to get the power it needs.

Go to the WattMan settings. Make the power -50% and use your system for a while. If you are not getting a black screen error (not blue screen), the new PSU is necessary. If you are getting black screen error, there is a different problem.
Also remove the cover on the left side of your PC case. Let the graphics card breathe ...

In my opinion, your system is very powerful. 500W is too high and PSUs below 750W will cause problems. In my opinion, you should buy 850W PSU.

0 Likes

Now you know why I use the HX1000i etc, power pigs are everywhere, so I makes sure I have it covered

phin46's motherboard wants 4+4+4 PIN CPU power cables.

0 Likes

My HD1000i has cables for brutal motherboards that have both an 8-pin and a 4-pin power connector

My X570 motherboard needs that configuration

lauralaw
Adept I

I just heard from tech support and they replied that based on the information i provided that i probably have defective hardware. Only issues is they told me to contact the manufacturer. Well when you look on the amd site there really is not option for AMD branded cards bought at local stores. I got mine from microcenter but it isn't an off brand pcb design. it is a radeon reference card from amd sold at the store. So how does that work?

lauralaw wrote:

I just heard from tech support and they replied that based on the information i provided that i probably have defective hardware. Only issues is they told me to contact the manufacturer. Well when you look on the amd site there really is not option for AMD branded cards bought at local stores. I got mine from microcenter but it isn't an off brand pcb design. it is a radeon reference card from amd sold at the store. So how does that work?

inquire with the store you bought it at as they may be able to point you in the right direction

0 Likes

That is going to be a royal paint. The store is 45 min away o

0 Likes