cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Athlonite
Adept I

Stop changing my Default Sound ouptput device

Can anyone at AMD please have the driver install stop changing the Default Audio Output Device from what is already set to be the default audio output device as once again I have to go into the control panel and open sound devices and reselect my SPDIF Out on my SB X-Fi audio card and set to be the default I'm getting rather Ef'd off with having to do this with every single driver update from AMD I DON'T USE HDMI there's nothing plugged into it my display is connected via Display Port 

WTF AMD.JPG

this not the device I use and have never used it ever so stop enabling it and setting it as the default 

this is what I use 

Correct output default device.JPG

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

This behaviour is controlled by Windows and it happens on Nvidia GPUs as well.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

This behaviour is controlled by Windows and it happens on Nvidia GPUs as well.

Make Audio output an option that must be enabled under display config. I really dislike discovering sound coming out of my TV instead of my speakers while I'm in a game, I would prefer to disable the feature at a driver level and leave the devices uninstalled.

so why is that when I disable the device in device manager your driver install re-enables it installs the driver even when the HDMI driver is not selected for install perhaps if this didn't happen windows wouldn't get all bent and change the default sound output device in the first place 

0 Likes

Guess you have what you don't want used disabled in 'Manage sound devices'.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
v1per
Adept I

Happens to me as well with my X-Fi Titanium. 

Just go into Device Manager/Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click on AMD High Definition Audio Device and disable it.

That should solve the problem. Been doing it for years lol

This btw IS the correct answer

Or do as above , find the device in device manager , uninstall it and let it reinstall on a reboot. 

Might uninstall other "difficult" devices aswell and just let them get redetected on reboot.

That should fix any potential conflicts. It's a windows thing, not amd.

0 Likes

Yeah what do think I've been doing I'm just sick and tired of not installing the AMD HDMI driver and still finding it's been changed heck even disabling the device in device manager doesn't help every install of an AMD Radeon driver turns the fecker back on and installs the device driver and then changes the default sound out put 

0 Likes

It still means your windows audio devices are messed up and you should uninstall every audio device and have it redetected. Uninstall every audio device after you removed every audio software that might be used, like maybe an onboard sound device like realtek. If you used regcleaners in the past you might face a windows reinstall to get it fixed, an inplace upgrade might also fix it but unlikely since it just copies old errors into a new install.

0 Likes