Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tonyturbo78
Adept II

RX Vega 64 Clock frequency/Power State bug with 19.2.1/19.2.2 and 19.2.3

Hi guys. 

Been having this very annoying issue since the 19.2.1 driver a few weeks back which is still present with 19.2.2 and 19.2.3.  THIS BUG DOES NOT HAPPEN ON 19.1.2 AND PRIOR

Basically, when running any 3d application, my core and memory clocks are tanking every few seconds then returning to the set frequencies.  On the GPU itself, the LED's on the side go from 8 lights showing to 1 light showing when the drops in frequency happen which would suggest the Power State isn't holding at P7.  Now like I said above, this never happened prior to the 19.2.1 driver, I've had this card since launch day, it's in a custom water loop so temps and throttling is not an issue.  No matter what clock frequency I use for the core or the memory, this sudden drop in frequency happens every few seconds.  It happens when using Power Save, Balanced and Turbo profiles, it also happens whatever custom profile you set.  I've tried dozens of re-installs since 19.2.1 using cleaning tools like DDU, disabling software like AV and overlays, not installing Relive etc but the problem remains.  Rolling back to 19.1.2 driver or older solves this issue.  

Here is a little video of the bug AMD Vega64 Driver Bug?? (19.2.1 and onwards) - YouTube 

I7 8700K @ 5GHz Watercooled

MSI Gaming 5 Z370 Motherboard

Sapphire RX Vega 64 Watercooled

16GB Teamgroup DDR4 3600mhz 

BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144hz Freesync monitor

Superflower 1200W PSU

Windows 10PRO 64 bit latest build 1809

1 Solution
tonyturbo78
Adept II

Over on the OCUK forums, it looks like we have started to pin down the cause of these issues guys.  The AMD Driver Thread | Page 853 | Overclockers UK Forums 

It would appear that the issue is being caused when using a LC bios flashed on to a reference card which is now in a watercooled setup.  I can confirm, flashing the stock bios 8706 back on to the GPU resolves this issue.  It's weird how it's only started to do this on the 19.2.1 driver and later though.  I've had this GPU in a custom water loop with a the 8774 LC bios flashed on it for over a year with no problem what so ever.  

View solution in original post

14 Replies
tonyturbo78
Adept II

And here is the exact same test but back on 19.1.2.  No sign of this bug, everything is perfect.  P7 remains at all times when gaming or running benchmarks.  No core or memory drops, solid 8 LED's are lit.  Night and day to what is happening on the 19.2.1/19.2.2 and 19.2.3 drivers.  

Great information, thanks for sharing. You all need to report this to AMD so they know about it. These forums are just users helping other users not AMD driver development. Let AMD know about it here please: Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

Thank you and done.  I had also raised several support tickets over the last month as well.  

have you gotten any answers or more importantly answers that helped?

0 Likes

There is a larger post in here from myself from earlier today which has not yet been moderated which holds more info in depth.  Basically if you go over to the OCUK forums and the AMD Driver Thread in the Graphic Card section, (I wont link because it might have to be moderated again).  A few of the guys have helped out over there that were able to replicate the bug, seemed linked specifically to using Custom LC Bios (8774) which is flashed to a Reference air card which is now in a custom water loop.  Long story short, re-flashing back to the stock bios (8706) and using 19.2.3 driver, this bug is non existent.  

volans_tw
Journeyman III

Same issue here and cause all games suffer serious stuttering.

tonyturbo78
Adept II

Over on the OCUK forums, it looks like we have started to pin down the cause of these issues guys.  The AMD Driver Thread | Page 853 | Overclockers UK Forums 

It would appear that the issue is being caused when using a LC bios flashed on to a reference card which is now in a watercooled setup.  I can confirm, flashing the stock bios 8706 back on to the GPU resolves this issue.  It's weird how it's only started to do this on the 19.2.1 driver and later though.  I've had this GPU in a custom water loop with a the 8774 LC bios flashed on it for over a year with no problem what so ever.  

The important Question now is:

Does this happen ONLY to Custom Cards with Liquid Bios flashed, or does it happen to ALL Liquid Bios cards regardless of Custom Bios or Original Card.

But i guess not many Liquid edition cards got sold...

0 Likes
jm18190
Adept I

I've been fighting this same issue all night. As soon as I figured out the bios flash fixed the issue I ended up finding this thread when trying to figure out why. My symptoms are exactly the same.

Same equipment. Reference Air Vega 64 with LC bios and custom loop. I tried reloading the reference LC bios and one from Sapphire and both had the same result. On the AIR bios everything runs smoothly but now I'm power limited when fully overclocking. 

I've basically been on the LC bios since the beginning and it has been rock solid until now. 

2ristede
Adept I

Have the same issues. 19.1.1 only works for me. The question is how do we get the devs involved?
another thread about it here....

https://community.amd.com/message/2903434?q=vega%20stutter 

It would be really nice with some feedback from amd about this issue since it happens for quite a lot of ppl.

They are only officially available here: Online Service Request | AMD   

I do see some top driver guys comment on Reddit occasionally but not lately.

I have the same exact problem and have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out.  I thought it was the few games I play.  Good to know that It is not just me.  I do have my Vega 64 reference card xfx silver flashed to the LC bios and on Water.   I do find it very weird also that it only started after 19.1.1 for me.  Not sure what is going on but I am stable on 19.1.1 and will stay there until there is a fix or work around.

0 Likes

It looks like according to the UK forum that if you were on a air reference board go back to the original Bios.  I on the other had see greater gains on the LC bios with drivers 19.1.1 so I am sticking with that.

0 Likes

I have done a test and found the same as the UK forum states and the is the new drivers will bring the performance up to as if you keep the LC bios on and the with the old drivers.  I did a video on it  here it is Flashing Vega 64 Reference Card to LC Bios, should you do it? - YouTube 

0 Likes