10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 5:10 PM by kingfish

Black Screen on Laptop

coolhand

Hello,

i´ve got an issue since i tried to install Adrenaline 18.5.1 and 18.6.1.

As soon as the driver gets installed my Laptop Screen goes black and doesn´t show anything.

Clean installations didn´t work either.

Thankfully i can connect via HDMI to another screen and this works.

When i go to the Windows settings my main screen isn´t shown at all. Only the HDMI connected Screen is shown as possible Display.

When i restart the Laptop the screen shows Bios and Windows loading screen as usual as soon as the Drivers kick in it goes black again.

Has anyone a similiar issue or can give me a hint what to do to get around?

Im currently running Dual Crossfire HD8970M on Adrenaline 18.3.3. but this gives me some problems with games that require an up to date driver.......(crash flickering etc)

Thank you.

• Re: Black Screen on Laptop
            coolhand

Required Informations from the attached DX Diag: ( Old Diag with just the Hardware Informations)

System Model: P370SM                   
            BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/03/13 09:01:40 Ver: 04.06.05
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
            Memory: 16384MB RAM
            Available OS Memory: 16338MB RAM

Page File: 3152MB used, 29570MB available

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6801)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6801&SUBSYS_03761558&REV_00

Display Memory: 16317 MB

Dedicated Memory: 8148 MB

Shared Memory: 8169 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: CMO1720

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.010Hz)

Output Type: Internal

All other drivers and Software on latest Version including Windows 10 64 Bit Home

kingfish

Did you install the Intel graphics driver (from Intel support) BEFORE you tried to install the AMD graphics driver? Read > Laptop graphics update...How to

Did you perform a clean install? Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Did you disconnect from the internet before installing the drivers? DDU has new instructions..make sure you have the latest version

coolhand

Yhea done that a couple of times.

Step one doesn´t work btw shows me no integrated graphics.

Attached the detailed Intel System Report

In attachement you will find screenshots showing the current settings and that the HDMI connection is detected as primary. (18.6.1 installed)Display.jpgWinScreen.jpgGlobal Settings.jpg

coolhand

Adrenalin 18.4.1 is also not working btw..... So the last working Version is 18.3.3

mido.fayad

i'm having the same problem with alienware 18 with the same amd R9 M290x crossfire ..

but u can use drivers up to version 18.3.4 without problems

any update after that will cause this problem and u can use only the screen attached with hdmi and every thing works with it

so the problem that all drivers after 18.3.4 wont recognize internal laptop screen only but any other attached screen will work without any problem

hope to find a fix for that and i already sent alot of complaints but no reply .. this is very bad that we can't use any updated graphics drivers with internal screen

myvekk

Add me to the list.  Alienware 18, with 2 R9 m290x in Crossfire.  Black screen occurs during the driver update & it just doesn't seem to finish.  Usually I get the hardware removed / hardware installed sounds twice.  Once for each card.  With the current drivers, it seems to disconnect once & then nothing.  I managed to get it to restart and go into safe mode where I could uninstall the drivers & get back in.

It doesn't help that this seems to break System Restore and it always fails with this bug, as well.

Interestingly, after the next reboot, when I could get into AMD Settings again, it said I had the 18.9 driver installed.  I reinstalled 18.1.1 anyway.  Looks like I might download 18.3.4, then.

At least they fixed the 'won't shutdown with crossfire enabled' bug last year.  That only took, what, 2 years to get sorted?

mido.fayad

the problem that the driver doesn't identify our internal display but can work perfect with any other connected display through hdmi or display port..

it just works as if there is no internal laptop display..

u can connect the lap to any display during driver installation and u will see that it will continue driver installation on the second screen only and the internal one will turn into black ...

it's really very very bad as the new drivers works great with games through hdmi but can't use it as daily driver because i want to use my internal display for daily use

and for sure u should download 18.3.4 driver as it's the latest one that works great with all latest gems till now without any problems in internal display

kingfish

You might want to read through the following.. > Asus laptop black screen