36 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2017 1:00 AM by isimion

Asus laptop black screen

kingfish

The 14.4 did not fix it. Everyone needs to report it > HERE < if you are having this issue. If enough of us do, there is a chance for a fix.

• Asus laptop black screen
          kingfish

Here is a possible fix for the Asus laptop black screen issue. This is mainly for AMD graphics that does not have Intel intergrated graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MUsPAEohk

• Re: Asus laptop black screen
            kingfish

Update:

Asus laptop black screen issue

Could we get some input as to whether this works or not?

darkneon2002

I had to add the complete dword string with value 1 to get things working again in my Asus laptop.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                hadmiral

Guys I had always been a BIg yes a big fan of AMD products from processors to the graphic card . But , honestly after buying my asus N61jq laptop black screen I so frustrated. Seriousely, are you kidding me? It has been three years that this problem exists and no one cares about it in AMD!!!!!!!!!! Oh my god, AMD I am talking to you. I am suffering from your product performance failure, a simple-to-solve issue for you. WHY DON"T YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER?!!!

CAtalyst driver does black screen and on windows 10 is the worst case. Before you can do anything the widows detes the latest driver and installs it and BOOOOM black screen, I have wasted all my weekend finding a solution, even the regedit code does not work on windows 10 x64 pro. Nothing guys, nothing works on windows 10. I have also reported it to AMD. And I am sure they wont answer. SHame on you AMD shame. To god I sware, it is the last time I buy an AMD product and I work part-time in BEstbuy, I will never suggest it to customers.

Cheers!

Hadmiral

mvg

same problem: black after updating to windows 10,

asus x52J with ati radeon mobility 5400.

(now using HDMI screen; thanks for advice !)

Where can I find the old driver 13.4?

AMD website keeps showing the latest only,

Is it possible to prevent windows 10  from updating it?

it seems to be https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

anyone experience with that?

nemini

Just registered to write my two cents..

I was after an asus x54h for repairs and came across this very trouble... uhm... luckily I found this topic else I think It still be driving me crazy..

Fact is I had to set KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface as 0 to show the screen up with 'some' brightness, with 1 keeps to be black after windows loads.

Not only, when I use the up and down keys to raise / lower the laptop brightness there's something wrong and after 2 steps down the laptop screen simply turns black while it should not so quickly.

Really a kick in the balls...

kingfish

Windows 10 users might try this >

Change screen brightness - Windows Help -

stad

For the recors, i have the same problem with an ASUS X52JT, with a Radeon HD 6370M.

Black screen with Catalyst 15.7.1 (with external monitor working), while with 13.4 everything works fine.

I've opened a ticket, but they basically responded that i should stick with vendor drivers (which aren't updatend since 2011).

I guess i won't be able to use Win 10 on this laptop. I seriously doubt that my next laptop will be with a Radeon card.

Anyway i might try a clean install as suggested, but since installing 13.4 on top of 15.7.1 (installed on top of 2011 original vendor's drivers) made it work again, and since all of you report the same problem,i seriously doubt that it'd make any difference.

Response and Service Request History:

I understand that you have Asus laptop with HD 6370M GPU running in windows 7. Since you upgraded your graphics driver to 15.7.1 you laptop screen remains black. You can able to get display only through external monitor.

Please be informed that AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer may customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

AMD provides a reference for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics drivers with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver. To know more, please visithttp://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

I suggest you to install the compatible driver version as a clean installation from the laptop manufacturer.

If you try installing latest graphics driver installation straight over previous graphics driver in system, please note this may cause driver file conflicts in system & could lead to various issues.

AMD recommends to perform driver installation always as clean installation. You must remove old driver completely from your system before you proceed with new driver installation.

You may also use "AMD Clean Uninstall Utility" to perform removal of old driver files remnant. You can download the same from the below link http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

If the current operating system is not the version originally installed on the notebook it may not meet all requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the notebook manufacturer for supported operating systems and drivers.

If you have further queries please do revert back. 

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

mindaugas92

A fix for ASUS laptops black screen issue after updates:

Go to Registry Editor (in the search type "regedit.exe")

Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000

Next, find or create DWORD32 with the name:

MD_EnableBrightnesslf2
                          KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2

Set both to 0.

In Device Manager, disable your video adapter (Your graphics card) and re-enable it.

Retest your LCD brightness settings with FN keys or from Power Options in Control Panel.

This worked for me with the latest Crimson 2016 years driver for Radeon HD 6370M in Windows 7

Method was recommended by

hiigara

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                            fairbaken

I have an X52 with W10 too and I go nuts if I dont find a solution...

Changing the registry keys won't work in any kind of combination.

I have to set the KMD_EnableBrightness to 1 otherwise I get a black Screen from the Moment the Notebook enters Windows 10. If I lower the brightness it has no visual effect but the system is telling me I'm changing it. All brightness settings below 70% also lead to a black screen.

I noticed one thing:

While using the AMD clean uninstall tool, there is a phase during the process when everything works fine. But as soon as the uninstallation is finished the brightness Settings stop working.

kdevrees

I tried everything that everyone suggested to no avail. This K52J had a clean install of 7HP, Then I upgraded to 10. The dreaded black screen started to happen. I had to connect to an external monitor in order to be able to use it. Windows installed drivers that it thought were compatible, they were not. I used the AMD Clean Up Utility, rebooted, then ran the Auto Detect Utility. After an install and a reboot everything works great.

I hope this helps.

Ken

interstellar1723

Hello, i have a laptop. (Lenovo y560 ) And laptop's graphic card is ati radeon HD 5730. I have a big problem with black screen. In a nutshell if i try to install amd grapchic card drive (latest drive, beta crimson drive, first drive of my laptop's manufacturer website , 14.4, 13.3 or others)  with plugged in then i see black screen between the loading during. But if i try to install this graphic card drive with battery (plugged out) then everything can be fine and there is no black screen. By the way i established windows 7, 8.1 and 10 (x64) but there was no solution. I always saw black screen. Also i should say that i tried to install with battery afterthat plugged in but the screen froze.

I searched, read and applied many method as people said to solve this problem. But i didn't solve yet.

I have been really tired to find a solution this awful problem for three weeks. I read many article, topic and i tried to every method what i saw on those places as this page. Especially i performed regedit method as you said ( change the crossfire 1 to 0 or 0 to 1 i mean ULPS, also i tried change the value of KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2  1 to 0 or 0 to 1, and change as this MD_EnableBrightnesslf2 ) , performed to autodetect,  turned OFF fast startup, installed graphic card drive from device manager chose as a folder, besides all these method i looked and changed some power options, of course  i tried anhtu96 method from the another topic.

Afterthat i want to indicate my problem with this page. I thought maybe some people can help me to find a solution.

Thank you in advance.

kingfish

You didn't mention your processor/graphics. It's either a Intel or AMD. And what OS ?

The specified item was not found.

interstellar1723

My processor Intel i7 Q740 and graphic card is ati mobilty radeon hd 5730 (1gb ram). And there is no another graphic like Intel hd graphics. If i remove the ati graphic drive then i can use just as a VGA.

Now my OS is windows 7 sp1 (x64). But i used to win 8.1 and win 10 to solve this but it didn't solve. Also i forgot that i have to say. If i remove the ati graphic card drive on safe mode i can entry on VGA with plugged in or plugged out ( battery) there is no problem. But i have to install amd driver on properly for 3D programs and some games. And i updated bios on my laptop's manufacturer support pages before.

By the way thank you, i know that chose and install amd drive manually.

mavkeysound

Guys i have a solution for asus k52jt (notebook x52j with radeon hd 6370m in windows 7

I see the Others solutions and y think "Well the KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 keep the brightness fixed and cant change is you set with "1". But if you set with "0" then no brightness. Well then with MD_EnableBrightnesslf2  and set in "0" nothing happen with my notebook. Well i do that and is WORKING!!!

1) You must to clean driver with AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and reboot.

2) I download and install the beta driver Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta here: Legacy

3) Open REGEDIT and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000

4) Set DWORD32 (or create if not have) KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 = 0 and another DWORD32 MD_EnableBrightnesslf2 = 1

(KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 = 1 fix the screen but you can't change the brightness. For that reason i prefer this solution.

5) Finally go to DEVICE MANAGER... disable the amd radeon video card... after you must to enable.... and that's all. Now you can watch the screen and you can fix the brightness with fn in this notebook.

If you can watch before the item 3 well go to safe mode and change REGEDIT with my solution.

Finally is worked

karnasw

It's work only when turn off and turn on graphics card in device manager. After restart backlight isn't working.

I tried every combination with:

MD_EnableBrightnesslf2

KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2.

AMD always leaves broken Legacy drivers. The same was with HD 4000 legacy (for example, stuttering flash videos)

mano2web

Hello everyone!

I just received an ASUS X72DR laptop with the above mentioned problem, the currently installed driver is dated 2011.12.05 and if I to update it the screen goes black and I can only use an external monitor to show the screen. Also I would like to update to Windows 10 because the hardware of the machine is good enough I think but as some of you mentioned earlier it automatically fails as the installation gets the newest driver automatically...

I've tried the registry DWORD method but I didn't work even in Windows 7... so I didn't bother trying in Windows 10.
                                          Are there any possible fix solution for this problem or I should leave it?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

kingfish

I can tell you that I have the same graphics chip in my old Toshiba and if the fix above does not work for you , there is nothing left to try. That computer has no graphics driver for Win10 except for Legacy drivers...which means there will be no more updates offered. Use the above mentioned driver version or use a external monitor.

djokafijoka

hello and today might be ur lucky day!

I think i found solution(i know, i did read every com on this post and many claimed same sry for my english btw)

i have asus k52jt sx457 with amd radeon 6370m 1gb. Some time ago i dont know what i did but lcd screen just died, all black. I connected laptop to external screen and started to investigate. That was 7 days ago. Also i have this "wasted money" laptop from 2011, and ive always had problems with gpu since begining. last year i did reinstall system(win7 pro) and same happened but i fixed dont even remember how. This time it just couldnt be fixed and tried everything. After all i got that problem is probably in wrong drivers. What u should do to solve it( or what i did) is:

1. plug it to the external monitor if its black(dont change any 0 to 1 ish that everyone tried, its wasting of time)

2. Reinstall system

3. When u install sys DONT install any catalyst or vga drivers!!(most important)

4.go to device manager, click display and disable ur vga graphic card and uninstal driver, (ur computer still wont recognise radeon cos u dont have catalyst driver Yet).

5. Restart your laptop. (Try now to enable vga and it should wake up ur monitor, if not just disable again, reboot and forget this, move to next step)

6. Go on official asus or what is your manufacturer site and find official drivers for ur model of laptop(not latest drivers, but the most recent drivers especially for ur model) and download, install them.(download catalyst or named vga graphic driver but DO NOT INSTALL IT YET).

7. After all,reboot, and go enable your vga graphic card same way u disabled it before

8. Now u install catalyst but be careful, u have to download recommended version of catalyst exactly for your model of laptop, do not download latest catalyst!!

Thats how i fixed it. Feel free to tell me if it works for you too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                stad

For the records, i have an ASUS X52JT, with a Radeon HD 6370M, i had the same problem, and i had to force 13.4 drivers on my upgraded (from the original win7) win10 on every major update.

Yesterday my Win gone FUBAR, and i was forced to do a clean install from a brand new Fall Creators Update installation DVD (for some reason it didn't boot from an USB drive) removing (archiving in Windows.old) the whole old system.

To my big surprise, this "clean" FCU installed the lastest radeon drivers, and the main screen stayed on!

I'll see if there are some drawbacks, but i tried it for a few hours and it seemed to keep working.

isimion

After reading the solutions, and trying each one of them, the one in which I set the values in registers like this:

1. KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 = 0

2. MD_EnableBrightnesslf2 = 1 (This one I created as new in the specified path, because it didn't exist in there for me.)

worked for me, but only until the restart of the system.

Maybe if there is a workaround to the solution specified by mavkeysound  , so it will be valid still after rebooting the system, maybe this is the answer.

I have an ASUS K52JT, and I installed the AMD Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta (latest I could get to date for Windows 10 64bit, from the official website), and the Video Board is: AMD Radeon HD 6300M Series.