AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you get the WX 5100 to use 10-bit?

Question asked by dealio on Mar 19, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2019 by billy72

The WX 5100 supports 10-bit per channel color (or 30-bit color) and I have 2 x BenQ SW320 that support 10-bit color depth as well. 10-bit depth is one reason I got the WX 5100 as I do photography work. When I installed the v17.12.2 driver, I right-clicked on the desktop and opened the "AMD Radeon Pro and AMD FirePro Settings", clicked on the Display icon and saw there is a Color Depth setting and it was set to 8 bpc. I noticed there were 3 options for 6, 8 and 10 bpc. I selected 10 bpc, the monitors flickered a bit then stabilized (as usual), but the setting went immediately back to 8 bpc. Don't know why. I then selected the "AMD Radeon Pro and AMD FirePro Advanced Settings" context menu from the desktop which brought an old style Catalyst dialog box. There is a panel that has a checkbox at the bottom called "Enable 10-bit pixel format support" and I checked it, and it said I needed to reboot. I did. I went back into both settings panels again after the reboot to check the settings and the first driver panel still showed Color Depth at 8 bpc, while the Advanced driver settings still showed the checkbox checked. I then tried to set the Color Depth to 10 bpc, thinking that maybe I had to enable 10-bit in the Advanced panel before changing the Color Depth. The change would not stick -- Color Depth always reverts back to 8 bpc. In summary, current settings are

AMD Radeon Pro and AMD FirePro Settings:

AMD Freesync = Not Supported

Virtual Super Resolution = Off

GPU Scaling = Off

Scaling Mode = Preserve aspect ratio

Color Depth = 8 bpc

Pixel Format = RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)

(Note: these were the default settings)

AMD Radeon Pro and AMD FirePro Advance Settings:

10-bit pixel format support = Enabled

(all other settings at default values)

I am confused. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and knows which one is accurate? How do I use the 10-bit capability of the card?

TIA,

David

PS: My o/s installation is a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64 with the Fall Creators update.

PSS: I have a ticket in with AMD and they recommended using a third party DDU utility to uninstall the current driver and install the v18 driver (the latest release). This seemed questionable to me -- not sure I would trust a third-party uninstall utility over the manufacturer's integrated uninstall process.

Outcomes