cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sergiu
Adept I

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Driver Update Windows Black Screen.

Hi, I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics card and all my software requires me to update my video drivers but whenever I update the video drivers I get a black screen at windows startup and I can't do anything else and have to reinstall windows every time with the old drivers.

I tried it many times and every time I had to reinstall windows with everything on it. It's gotten to the point I am afraid to update my drivers and I don't do it but more and more software ask for updates.

Please, help.

Specs:

Windows 7 64 Bit

Graphics:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1GB

0 Likes
11 Replies

There is no need to update your drivers. Your graphics are Legacy and there hasn't been any updates in a long while...and there will not be any. Legacy

Ignore any notice of new drivers...that is a bug in the program.> Legacy branch being nagged about GCN driver updates

0 Likes

Thank you for the response but I have a very old driver that came with the laptop and there have been updates only they don't work because they cause this problem of complete black screen.

It's not as simple as ignoring notifications.

Software like After Effects are dependent on and ask for updated gpu and Element 3D doesn't work at all without these updates.

0 Likes

There are no updated drivers for your graphics. You can not install the newer drivers...they are not compatible. 

The last drivers available (your choice of one of them) > Legacy

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes

So the first response from AMD support is that I have been fooled and I should not buy AMD again. Woow, really classy top notch company and support.

0 Likes

First, I don't work for AMD. This is a user to user forum. If you bought a laptop this old...shame on you for not doing basic research.

0 Likes

This is a AMD SUPPORT FORUM is it not? As I have not been able to find any other official support.

And don't give me bs blamming the consumer, I've been scanning this forum only to find that there are A LOT of people with the EXACT same problem for Element 3d for 2 YEARS even with other cards newer than mine.

They are all saying exactly what I'm feeling, we've made a mistake in buying AMD and this experience has made the decission to not buy AMD ever again very easy for us.

0 Likes

Well let's see.....Element 3D  " Element 3D is a Fast Open GL 3D object based particle Rendering Engine for After Effects"

There is no laptop made that will use the discrete card in a laptop to render OGL...if a integrated graphics card is present. Since the laptop model wasn't furnished by the poster, we can't know.

The program has Minimal graphics requirements....which the posters graphics solution does not meet.

As I have the same graphics driver in my Asus laptop...I am very familiar with it's capabilities...and it's weakness.

Asus laptop black screen

AMD Support Forums - Rules & Regulations & Terms of Membership

OFFICIAL TERMS OF USE

This is a user to user English language only Support Forum. Information or opinions contained in any posts are those solely of the user making the post and are in no way validated by, or the opinions of, AMD, including our moderators. Use of any information on this board is done so AT YOUR OWN RISK and all information is provided "AS IS" and without any warranty, express or implied. While we may at time respond to posts, AMD makes no warranties or claims regarding the validity of any information posted by users on this board.

This a FORUM not AMD Support. This Forum is Moderated by AMD employees which helps notify AMD Support about current problems with their drivers.  But coming here is not the place to complain about Support. This Forum is used to help people with similar problems to fix their own GPU problems. As Kingfish, mentioned this is a "User to User" Forum. The Moderator's themselves says to open a ticket with AMD Support. This allows AMD Support to know the information they need on the various Computer setups that are being affected by the AMD drivers.

Best thing to do to contact AMD Support directly is by either calling them or open a Ticket here: AMD Issue Reporting Form

You have got to realize that WIndows 7, 8, 8.1 & 10 technology is very much advanced from when your old GPU card was manufactured. Your old GPU card doesn't have the technology to use the newer advanced technologies from the New versions of Windows.

0 Likes

You have to realize that the FRONT PAGE of this website says GET PRODUCT SUPPORT! And there is no other support channel.

You also have to realize that like I already mentioned, this has nothing to do with my card being "old" since there are other threads in this forum that experience the EXACT Element 3D errors that I get, with newer cards. I realize the starting issue was a black screen from an update but the real problem is actually one that many people are having with Element 3D and even newer cards, otherwise I couldn't give a toss about updating!

0 Likes

Hello,

Which version of Element 3D are you using? It is important to know since if it is one of the early versions of Element 3D (that seems likely given your OS and GPU) then your ATI Mobility GPU does actually seem to be on the supported list as can be shown here: Wayback Machine​​

In any case, that GPU was put on legacy over 2 years ago by AMD I think.
By legacy that means no more driver updates at all since then. So your only option for a driver is Crimson Legacy driver of Catalyst WHQL 15.7.1.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It's Element 3D v2. Like I said I'm reluctant to any driver updates anymore but I will be trying your idea of going to an earlier version of E3D

Thanks.

0 Likes