5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2018 12:52 AM by kingfish

Legacy branch being nagged about GCN driver updates

Eydee

I have a Radeon 6850 with legacy Crimson 16.2.1 beta installed.

Unfortunately whenever the still supported GCN cards receive a driver update, this legacy CNext offers the driver update, even though it is incompatible with the legacy branch. If you accept the update, the outcome changes depending on how the update offer is configured on the server side. Previously my legacy CNext downloaded the actual GCN driver and attempted to install it, which of course wasn't successful. Last time CNext offered the GCN update, but downloaded the actual legacy driver. This means attempting to install the older (still CCC-based) WHQL version or the same legacy Crimson I already have. As neither one updates the driver version, the incompatible updates keep being offered.

The offer in intrusive, as it pops up every few hours and after every windows login. The updater picks up the GCN branch even when it downloads the legacy installer. Unticking the auto-update option in the installer has no effect on this, the driver is being offered anyway. Blocking CNext.exe with my firewall works, so this is not a serious problem for me. But it probably annoys thousands of people out there, who aren't power users and have no idea about this.

Please stop offering GCN updates for Terascale cards.