4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 8:48 AM by domagoj.saric

ACML on Windows with GFortran

dgreisen

I'm running 32 bit windows and using GFortran with MinGW. I'm wondering which version of ACML I want to download. Should I use one of the GFortran builds for Linux, or the PGI or Intel builds for Windows?

Also, if I'd like to be able to run the .exe on both 32 bit and 64 bit windows systems, should I choose 32 or 64 bit ACML for the best performance.

Thank you,

Daniel

• ACML on Windows with GFortran
          chipf

We haven't been testing with the MinGW environment.  The 32-bit Windows environment we support is the Visual Studio model with the Intel Fortran compiler.  I might recommend the 32-bit gfortran version, but this has not been tested at all on cygwin or MinGW.  In the archives you can find g77 versions, but these have not been built since ACML 3.6.0

Normally if you wanted to support 32 and 64-bit machines, you should choose 32-bit, since it will run on 64-bit machines, but not vice-versa.

But then your requirement of performance is at odds with that.  We have been concentrating our performance improvements on the 64-bit versions.  64-bit is definitely the right way to go for the best performance.

p-w

Hi Daniel

I have just started to use mingw as a cross compiler under linux to make executables for windows. I have downloaded the Intel fortran 32bit ACML (Version 4.3.0)  libraries and have successfull compiled and linked a small test program using the following command line 

i486-mingw32-g++ test1.cpp -I ~/.wine/drive_c/AMD/acml4.3.0/ifort32/include  -L ~/.wine/drive_c/AMD/acml4.3.0/ifort32/lib/  ~/.wine/drive_c/AMD/acml4.3.0/ifort32/lib/libacml_dll.dll -lmmd -lifcoremd

To get it to work I had to specify the path to libacml_lib.dll directly rather than using -lacml_lib.  The paths will be different under windows but this should give the general idea how to get it working the the 32bit Intel library.

Best wishes

Phil

• ACML on Windows with GFortranmingw as a cross compiler
                  keithfer15

i am also using a mingw as a cross compiler with Ubuntu, its great to work with it, very powerful and easy compiler

Keith

sell downloads

domagoj.saric

Originally posted by: p-w I have downloaded the Intel fortran 32bit ACML (Version 4.3.0)  libraries and have successfull compiled and linked a small test program using the following command line 

i486-mingw32-g++ test1.cpp -I ~/.wine/drive_c/AMD/acml4.3.0/ifort32/include  -L ~/.wine/drive_c/AMD/acml4.3.0/ifort32/lib/  ~/.wine/drive_c/AMD/acml4.3.0/ifort32/lib/libacml_dll.dll -lmmd -lifcoremd

With this you only succeeded to dynamically link with the ACML, that is you linked to the ACML DLL which is over 10 megabytes in size which can be quite undesireable when you only use a small subset of ACML.

If you manage to statically link to ACML on Windows without using a commercial Fortran compiler that would be a real success