cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Who is going to mod a computer case before we kiss 2023 goodbye?

Are you thinking about building a new computer in the Fall / Winter of 2023?  Better start planning for it now and saving your money.  Most people know about the current Steampunk Modding Contest being run in the AMD Support Forum, but perhaps you have some other ideas for a computer mod?  Why not share your ideas in this discussion topic and perhaps we can help you finalize your plans.  It's best to discuss concepts with others before you start cutting up something....something like a HP Laserjet printer?

This build of my Printer-to-Computer project got me published in Maximum PC's February 2005 Rig of the Month contest.This build of my Printer-to-Computer project got me published in Maximum PC's February 2005 Rig of the Month contest.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
24 Replies
BigTacious
Adept III

Blue and Green LEDs? Yep, that's a bona fide 2005 build. very cool that doesn't look like it was easy.

5900X | Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX | 64gb RAM 3600mhz CL16 | x570 TUF WiFi

You'll see the build process if you click on the bold 'HP Laserjet Printer' in the first post.  It took some time as this was my first printer to mod.  I later modded a bigger printer that I called 'Printer-to-Computer-Deja-Vu' and it had two complete systems built into it.  That won me the inside cover of PC Extreme magazine "Mod of the Month" in issue 26.  I won a subscription and within six months the magazine ceased publishing!

Two complete computers inside one printer.  A very big printer I might add...Two complete computers inside one printer. A very big printer I might add...

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

Don't tell me you have a computer in there? You got to be kidding dude🤩

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

Ok, check out this T-Shirt I had printed around 20 years ago.  Front and back images:

This is the back of my T-Shirt.This is the back of my T-Shirt.This is the front of my T-Shirt.  Pretty cool, huh?This is the front of my T-Shirt. Pretty cool, huh?

That poor dude in the first picture is not having a good day

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home
mike71
Adept I

An Idea I have it's to find an old ATX case from 1996 and build a modern PC inside. The biggest issue is that the airflow on oled cases is normally insufficient if used with modern CPUs, with some exceptions, of course.

If I find  a 1996 PC in working condition I'm not going to gut it anyway, because I think it's better to use it as a DOS games machine.

Also modern motherboards not only don't have a floppy connector, but can't boot from a floppy, or even boot DOS.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

There is a guy who has recently been modding older computer cases (sleeper computers) and he has lots of parts on his website.  I've ordered from him several times for things like case feet and Modders Mesh.  His complete builds sell for over $10K and I bet you've seen his work in computer magazines.  He is also on Facebook if you have an account there.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those Laserjet 4's were WARRIORS man. **bleep** near unstoppable.

Has it been that long since Maximum PC quit ?! Loved that mag.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Maximum PC is still in operation.  They have stopped printing a hardcopy magazine as of April 2023.  They are online now.  I still have my subscription.  I wish they still did the Mod of the Month because I really looked forward to seeing what other people do with their computers.

officialdjdmc
Adept II

That is awesome!

Are there any other modders out there that plan to complete a mod before the end of 2023?  I remember that the holiday period from Thanksgiving through New Year's Eve was my prime build time when I was a working man.  I would get stuff on sale during 'Black Friday' sales events and then start the serious building once we got our 2-week end of year shutdown.  

The Steampunk Modding contest (link in the first post above) is a great incentive to start a new build, but you better get started soon as it ends at the end of September, less than two months away.

eebiii
Forerunner

Thinking about the steampunk contest.

I have it all put together in my head. I guess that's a start.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Go for it.  You have the skills.  Steampunk things can be found on Amazon and they ship quickly.  If you have an old steam engine on hand, I would mod that.  

Plenty of room for a computer inside this steam engine.Plenty of room for a computer inside this steam engine.

eebiii
Forerunner

Printed first piece last night before i went to bed to see how it would turn out. 

5 1/2" gear

IMG_2706-1.JPG

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It turned out  most excellent.

0 Likes
eebiii
Forerunner

I may have gone a little too far on this and I don't think there is any turning back. Even my wife is giving me weird looks because she can see on my face, I am in build mode. lol 

I have a section in the basement that was setup for a projection area but never got used. The walls are blacked out, so I found some red brick wallpaper which I think will make a good background. I picked up some rigid nipples and fittings and built a little corner desk out of some 3/4" plywood and through some stain on it. So I def got a good start this weekend.

IMG_2708-1.JPG

IMG_2711-1.JPG

IMG_2713-1.JPG

IMG_2719-2.JPG

IMG_2728-1.JPG

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yes, I think you are 'all in' as it were.  Do you have some design concepts to share or will it be a surprise?

I have a picture in my head, and I am designing around that. I am further ahead than what I show but it's all about time. I am just an independent electrical contractor with no employees trying to remodel and do lighting retrofits in 20 stores 15,000-60,000 sq ft. So, I am pretty busy. Then using my free time for PC mods and I have to sneak a little family time in there too.. lol But I am motivated and once I get started its hard not to keep going. Just makes for alot of long nights. 

I hope you're able to complete this build! It already looks like it'll be killer... 

Fingers crossed but I am way to far along. And I am using all existing parts and have some new stuff sitting in boxes for the last year waiting to be used. I am about $350 in the hole from paraphernalia and fittings. But in the grand scheme of it all, it's worth it. My wife told me last night that I have a tendency of overdoing things, but I disagree. I just do it complete. LOL

much excite

5900X | Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX | 64gb RAM 3600mhz CL16 | x570 TUF WiFi

We have a new 'How-To' article up in the forum to help with designing your own case.  I recommend everyone give it a read if you are interested in being creative with your skills.  Here it is.

Bending metal can be fun!Bending metal can be fun!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Are there other modders out there thinking about a case mod before the year is history?  There are all sorts of things you can stuff a computer into....even a cat carrier!

An old HP computer was able to give up it's innards to help serve as a mounting point for Purrfection's components.An old HP computer was able to give up it's innards to help serve as a mounting point for Purrfection's components.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The Steampunk Modding Contest ends in a few days.  I have seen amazing builds submitted as entries and I'm wondering if there will be a last-minute entry before the contest closes at noon this Saturday.