Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Building Your Own Case - 2023 Edition

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
4 92 19.4K

I'm looking for some new case design ideas for a build in the summer to fall of 2023.  I have a few ideas of items that could be used to house computer components, such as an old Klipsch subwoofer or perhaps an old cooler from the Boy Scout days of the 1990s.  I feel confident in modding an existing device, but not so much in constructing a new case out of wood or things of this nature.  I like the 'appliance' idea, but it would help to have lots of suggestions from fellow modders.  Below is that old subwoofer I mentioned, which would just barely be big enough to house a micro-ATX motherboard and a graphics card.  Where the woofer is currently located, I would probably apply a wire mesh to help with ventilation.

Do you have some ideas for me to consider?  Keep in mind that I have several months to think about this.  If there is an idea that sounds good to me but I don't have the item on hand, then it will take time to find it - that's one reason to start thinking about this now.

It would be a tight fit, but this subwoofer might work.It would be a tight fit, but this subwoofer might work.

92 Comments
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

This unit is about $100 more but I have had good experience with the be quiet! line of PSUs....

Is this worth $290?Is this worth $290?

petosiris
Miniboss

@BigAl01,

I have no personal experience with Be Quiet PSUs but if I was you I'd go up a notch or two in wattage. 1000W may be enough for your new PC, I don't know, but to be on the safe side I'd invest in a 1300W at least. The GPU will draw a lot of power and future GPUs will be even worse.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

You might be correct about that @petosiris .  I'm now looking for 1200W, ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 and a gold or platinum rated PSU.  This isn't the one I want however.....

Way too much money and no warranty in the USA!Way too much money and no warranty in the USA!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I wonder how this would work out?  All the cable plug-ins are on the side, not the end.  I would need to pull my case out of the box and see how that would affect the build.

All the connectors for the MB are on the side.All the connectors for the MB are on the side.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I won't be using that Corsair RMx Shift PSU due to the location of those ports.  I did a partial assembly of the case today to see how things are going to be laid out.

The base of this design (Pro) is much more sturdy than the earlier model.The base of this design (Pro) is much more sturdy than the earlier model.

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I think that 1200 is a bit overspec but there's no harm in getting it.

Thor not having warranty in US is really really really really really really strange, considering its a rebranded/uplifted Seasonic product.

My next PSU will definitely be a THOR II since it already brings along platinum efficiency, cablemod cabling and wattage meter.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

With the PSU still up in the air, lets talk about video cards.  I'm not a real gamer.  I do play games once in a while and during LAN parties at Big Al Computers, I am usually cooking chicken and serving people.  I could probably get away with an AMD 6700 video card, but a better one is more appropriate for this computer build.  I want to stick with AMD stuff, so perhaps a 7000 series GPU is more in line with this build.  But I don't want to spend more than $1K on a video card.

Suggestions?

petosiris
Miniboss

@BigAl01,

If you don't need a GPU to play demanding games now and can manage with a cheaper card for a while, I'd wait for the next AMD generation and then sell the cheaper card next year.  I think the next gen. AMD GPUs are worth waiting for.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Should I consider a 6000 series card for now?  I don't know.  Today I am recovering from skin cancer surgery of my left ear area.  It was a five-hour procedure.  

No pain, no gain as they say.No pain, no gain as they say.

wolfchip
Adept I

ASUS ROG Thor is a good option I think

About the Author
I have been working for Wolfchip Electronics Limited (www.wolfchip.com) for over 6 years, as sales manager of electronic components, AMD Xilinx is an important brand I deal with.