cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ka3el
Adept II

Win10 will not boot in after CPU change - inaccessible boot drive

Hi folks, I have just changed CPU Ryzen 3700X -->5800X3D on my Asus TUF X570 MLB, but computer cant start windows (10). I updated bios before new CPU installation and I believe there is no problem how new CPU was assembled, I can get to BIOS etc., windows starting and show message that there is problem to launch the PC, windows is trying to repair it but no success.

Windows error message is: inaccessible boot drive, I dont have drives encrypted, I have just TPM module but didnt do anything with it and even dont have win version which would support it encryption, nevertheless when new CPU installed there was some message regarding TPM and I clicked yes to confirm I dont use TPM If I remember well.

I tried to search the solution (seems many have this problem) and found clearing CMOS could be solution, I did with MLB jumper (short-circuit) method but no success. I read better method could be to also remove the battery and then again use jumper but so far I was not able to remove the battery, its udder GPU and not easy to access.

Do you please think take out battery could help?ANy other solution or only one will be reinsall windows? Will it be possible to reinstall keeping applications or at least data?

Note: Strange thing, before new CPU installation, when PC turn on or restart fans started to spinning fast for short moment, but that is now not happening.

1 Solution

Thank You very much for trying to help, it was not about UEFI/Legacy settinf, etc.
I ended up reinstalling windows which I was trying to prevent, but that was wrong. I spent much more time trying to find and implement solution than I spent reinstalling windows which also have its advantages. I did full reinstall (not repair) but I didnt format the drive so installation program created folder windows.old where I could get some data I wanted (Firfox bookmarks, etc.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you have either the Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus or Pro version you need to have BIOS Version 4021 or newer installed for the new processor to be recognized.

But since it is booting into Windows you probably have the correct version.

I would make sure your Windows drive has GPT Partition which is compatible with UEFI Mode in BIOS.  If your Windows Drive has the old MBR Partition it would be incompatible.

But in your case, normally I don't suggest this, but I would try to do a Clean Windows 10 Installation (Delete your current Windows Partition during the installation) so that Window will properly and correctly Partition your Windows drive  and install Windows with the new processor.

If everything worked well with your previous Ryzen 3700x that would indicate that it is an issue with Windows itself.

I also needed to enable fTPM in BIOS to get my 3700X to run UEFI Mode but I didn't do anything else that might have enabled the security feature of TPM.

So try doing a Clean Windows 10 installation and see if it boots correctly into Windows.

NOTE: I would do a System Backup of your current Windows installed with your Ryzen 3700X so that in case it doesn't solve your problem you can always restore your current Windows again to the way it was when you did a System Backup.

0 Likes

Hallo,Iam trying to avoid clean windows installation :-),I was adviced by reddit user to try repair bootable partition so I wil try that and If will not work I will try install windows but keep apps and data 1st. Yes I have newest bios installed,I have TPM enabled with firmware setting (other is discrete) but beleive should not matter if no disk encryption?

Other question,please. IN Secure boot I have currently set up Other System instead of Windows UEFi,Other system was there when it was working,generally this should be set up as UEFI windows,right?

https://ibb.co/D98XXyZ

I was going to advise to do a In-Place Windows Repair but to do that you must be in Windows Desktop in which you then run the current Windows Installation program.

But since you aren't able to enter Windows desktop with the new processor I didn't mention it.

You can use Windows Installation to enter Command Prompt and run command lines to fix your Windows Partition.

But I would first run Windows Installation and go to Repairs or Maintenance menu and click on "Repair Startup Windows" or something similar. See if it boots into Windows afterwards. That should fix any issues with your Windows Partition and startup files.

But first try changing in BIOS from Other OS to Windows UEFI Mode and see if it boots into Windows.

If for some reason you can't enter BIOS afterwards than just do a CLEAR CMOS again.

Post back with a update, Thanks

EDIT: I also agree about doing a Clean Windows Install as only the last measure in fixing a problem. but if using Repair Startup Windows or Command Prompt to fix your Boot Manager then you really have no choice but to do a Clean Windows install.

I, personally, have upgraded my Windows from Window 98 all the way to Windows 11 using In-Place Windows Installation rather then to do a Clean Windows install. But a couple of times I was forced to do a Clean Windows install due to the Boot Manager not being able to be repaired by me or due to Windows Drive hardware being defective.

99% of the time I do a In-Place Windows Repair by running the Windows Installation while on the Desktop or through Microsoft Windows download page without using a Windows Installation disc.

But I generally fix all my Windows issues by restoring a copy of my SYSTEM BACKUP in which I use 3 different programs to backup my Windows drive. This is the easiest and simplest way to repair a corrupt Windows Drive OS.

Thank You very much for trying to help, it was not about UEFI/Legacy settinf, etc.
I ended up reinstalling windows which I was trying to prevent, but that was wrong. I spent much more time trying to find and implement solution than I spent reinstalling windows which also have its advantages. I did full reinstall (not repair) but I didnt format the drive so installation program created folder windows.old where I could get some data I wanted (Firfox bookmarks, etc.)

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Power down the system, unplug the PSU from the wall, pull the graphics card and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes.  Replace it with a new (fresh) CMOS battery, reinstall the graphics card and try booting into Windows again.  I don't think Windows 10 cares about TPM, but we all know that Windows 11 does.  Get into the BIOS and check your settings after the CMOS reset and make sure the Windows boot manager is the first boot device, then save and reboot into Windows 10.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes