Processors

sniperzee
Adept II

WHEA Logger Event ID 18

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Radeon RX 5700XT

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: MSI B450 A Pro Max

RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 8GB X2 (16GB in total)

PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W

Case: Midtower with 1 stock fan

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041

GPU Drivers: Radeon Software (Adrenaline) 20.4.2

Chipset Drivers: AMD Chipset Software 2.5.4.352

Hard Disk: SSD - Crucial 1TB M2 Nvme

Background Applications: Happens irrespective of what applications running

Description of Original Problem: My newly built PC keeps on restarting randomly. Sometimes, it will run for 6-10 hours without any issue. Then other times it will simply restart when I open an application (browser, tabs, etc.) or games and sometimes it just restarts at its will. Every time it restarts, the event logger logs the below errror:

"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error Processor APIC ID: 11

The details view of this entry contains further information."

Troubleshooting: I have updated all the drivers. Deleted and reinstalled and updated all the drivers. Checked if the CPU fan is properly attached to the CPU, if GPU is properly attached, if RAMs are properly attached, and everything else. All of them seem perfectly fitted. Used various software to test CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. All came back with good results. Did memory test and DISM test. Both were successful without any error.

245 Replies

Fixed clock? I haven't customized any AMD settings, I have everything default, where would I set that exactly? 

0 Likes

@nuGeorge can you describe your issue more, it sounds a little different being related to smss, how do you know what do you see?

Also if you haven't already, clear cmos, update chipset drivers, Windows and BIOS.

What type of memory do you have, what speed is it set to in your BIOS?

It could be many things, might be multiple things, people are still trying to narrow it down.

My first and second were CPU issues, my third might be chipset driver not being updated.

0 Likes
AGPX
Adept I

Ok, same problem here (on a random APIC ID and always on smss.exe). My system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X.
MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi), with the latest BIOS (August 10, 2021).
PSU: Corsair RM850x (Gold 80+, 850W, 2021).
GPU: nVidia GT710 (2GB) (waiting for my RTX, this is just a cheap toy to use Windows).
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8Gb) Corsair 3000 Mhz CL15 (XMP 2.0, BIOS enabled. This RAM is from my previous PC, which NEVER gave me any problems).
Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer 360.

The GPU is low-end and the system reboot happens when I run a process that uses only the CPU (all 16 cores), the GPU is idle. So this isn't a GPU-related issue (at least for me).

The system has all the latest drivers and BIOS updates installed.

In addition to XMP, I have enabled a setting in the BIOS to keep all cores a bit more clocked when they are all used (the frequency remains around 4.4 - 4.5 Ghz on all 16 cores, without this option it is reduced to 3.7 Ghz. With this option enabled, at 4.5 Ghz on all cores, the maximum temperature reached is around 82°C).
I have tried CoreCycler 0.8.2 and when testing with Prime95, I always get the error: "FATAL ERROR: rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4", which indicates CPU instability.

I disabled the option mentioned earlier from the BIOS, and so far Prime95 works without any rounding issues. I had read that this problem is due to the CPU voltage being a little too low and therefore I believe it's a motherboard related issue not having the correct settings (in terms of core voltage for example). The latest BIOS reports: "Improved System Stability", which perhaps means a change in those settings, but they are probably not perfect yet.

However, I am disappointed with AMD. It's easy to say "my CPU can hit 4.9Ghz" when this can only be done on a single core. It's normal that when you use all the cores the frequency is lower, but 3.7 Ghz is way too low (my previous CPU, not AMD, can keep all cores at 4.3 Ghz WITHOUT a single instability event).

It would be better if AMD gave us the best settings to maximize performance while maintaining stability (core voltage, for example). Or better, I believe MB makers are struggling to find the best settings in order to get the system stable (RMA are countless), AMD should work with them to permanently fix this, because IMHO the company will quickly lose trust and reputation if things remain as they are (and after the notable effort made to create the new Ryzen architecture it would be a huge shame).

0 Likes
AGPX
Adept I

Ok, looks like mine (5950X) is become stable (until now). What I have done is:

1) Go to BIOS and 'Load Optimized Defaults' (note that CPB is Enabled by default and I leave it enabled);
2) PSS Support -> Disabled;
3) Global C-state Control -> Disabled;
4) Power Supply Idle Control -> Typical Current Idle;
5) Power Down Enabled -> Disabled (for DRAM);
6) Gear Down Mode -> Disabled (for DRAM);
7) Set XMP to Enabled for the DRAM (because my DRAMs support XMP 2.0);
Install the latest chipset drivers from AMD site (NOT the one provided with the motherboard, because they are too old);

I have been testing the system for 5 days (24h/day of calculations, on all 16 cores) and until now I haven't had WHEA 18. Hope this will help other people.

My 2 cents,

AGPX

Hey sorry to resurrect this thread but wanted to say what has (so far) worked for me. I was getting WHEAs from RDR2 only after about 30 mins to 1 hour, which is really odd, not from Cyberpunk or anything else. After these changes I played for about 4 hours straight no issues.

My Build: 

ASUS TUF x570 Plus Wifi

Ryzen 9 5900x

Corsair Vengance 2x8GB DDR-4 3200MHZ

ASUS ROG RTX 3080

The fix for me: 

Disabled DOCP, overclocked my ram manually to 3200 Mhz with IF of 1600, timings left on auto for the RAM, set my Power Idle to Typical Idle instead of auto, turned off C States (the low power saving states when CPU is idle), set a + Offset Voltage of .1 on the CPU, kept PBO on and turned BAR Off. Im now idling at 48c and maxing out around 74 in RDR2 max everything including raytracing at 1440p.

Hope this helps anyone! Check the TUF manual or google around for any terms i used.

Thanks for the feedback.

For users that continue to experience WHEA errors, please try the suggestions listed in this thread and here. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/ts-tips

If you need further help with WHEA errors, please start a new discussion and provide the information required as mentioned here: https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/information-required-when-posting-a-discussion/ta-p/4227...
0 Likes