Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Two-Oh-Five
Journeyman III

What should my temps look like? Ryzen 7 3700X on a 360mm AIO

Hello.

Just today I got a new cooler, a Fractal Design Celsius+ S36. I thought it was working well, but that was until I started talking to people about temps.

I tested my temps by running Cinebench Multi Core and watching the temps in Radeon Software. I found that at max load, the CPU wouldn't break 60 degrees. It would sit just below that at 100$ usage on all cores. I thought this was pretty great!

But then I spoke with another 3700X owner on Discord after speaking about my new cooler and temps. He stated that at max load from BeamNG Drive, his 3700X was getting 57 degrees, on a 20$ air cooler. So, now I am beginning to doubt if my new cooler is working correctly. Are my temps good, or are they too high for what I have?

I picked up the cooler on eBay for 100$, it was brand new open box, and it had been sitting in a warehouse since 2021 according to the box. So I feel like I have reason to doubt if this cooler is working right. My case is a Fractal Design Torrent.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me? Are my temps where they should be, or are they high?

Thanks much.

-Two-Oh-Five

0 Likes
1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

You are doing amazingly fine and can even raise the PBO settings to squeeze out more performance from CPU without throttling it.

Do You know if the other guy has the same settings, parts, case, room temperature like you?

Its pretty hard to make a temperature comparison today, let me explain it to you.

My 2700X with a 240 rad All in One Ryujin was not even breaking sweat (depending on time of the year) but in the winter not even reaching 60ºC with a theoretically higher TDP part than 3700X (105 vs 65), however, TDP means so little about final temperatures.

Regarding settings, the same chip, 2700X with PBO disabled is very easily controlled, with PBO on auto gets more warm and if I set PBO to a more aggressive setting, instead of 60ºC it will get into the upper 70ºC, more like 77.
You just don't know exactly His settings! And I'm not even bringing undervolting to the equation.

The case will cause some variations as well, is the front intake glass, solid or mesh? And finally room temperatures. Idle temps with 2700X on winter were like 28ish on a room temperature of 20ºC thats a 8 degree delta. On the summer with HVAC off and 28ºC room temperature it will not maintain the same 28ºC idle temps.

If you thermal pasted correctly, took the plastic peel of the block (sometimes they have it) and tighten it.
Then You are good to go. 

The Englishman

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

You are doing amazingly fine and can even raise the PBO settings to squeeze out more performance from CPU without throttling it.

Do You know if the other guy has the same settings, parts, case, room temperature like you?

Its pretty hard to make a temperature comparison today, let me explain it to you.

My 2700X with a 240 rad All in One Ryujin was not even breaking sweat (depending on time of the year) but in the winter not even reaching 60ºC with a theoretically higher TDP part than 3700X (105 vs 65), however, TDP means so little about final temperatures.

Regarding settings, the same chip, 2700X with PBO disabled is very easily controlled, with PBO on auto gets more warm and if I set PBO to a more aggressive setting, instead of 60ºC it will get into the upper 70ºC, more like 77.
You just don't know exactly His settings! And I'm not even bringing undervolting to the equation.

The case will cause some variations as well, is the front intake glass, solid or mesh? And finally room temperatures. Idle temps with 2700X on winter were like 28ish on a room temperature of 20ºC thats a 8 degree delta. On the summer with HVAC off and 28ºC room temperature it will not maintain the same 28ºC idle temps.

If you thermal pasted correctly, took the plastic peel of the block (sometimes they have it) and tighten it.
Then You are good to go. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

The other guy is using an old ATX case and a 20$ Air cooler, I'm using a Fractal Torrent and a 360mm AIO... Not sure what his settings are.

I did make sure that there is no plastic piece on the bottom of the cooler. I even removed the preapplied paste, so I could put on my own thermal paste, just to double check.

I'll have to ask him about his settings. Honestly I do have some doubts about his claim but the Discord server we're in is made of reputable people. It's a little strange to think he'd just lie.

0 Likes

He could be speaking the truth or telling a "white lie", although, 20$ Air Cooler, what that means?

Cheapo Aliexpress part? Used? Refurbished? Outlet?
The Wraith Prism cost me nothing as it came bundled with the 2700X and it was an amazing Air Cooler.

Lots of people take advantage of "white lies" and misdirection in online discussions while being honest, just to bump up the ego, I don't know.

Take this example, can you say if I'm telling the truth?

"I have a 7950X and I get around 70 ish ºC full load and sub 40ºC on idle with a 79€ watercooler"

The Englishman
0 Likes
igel
Journeyman III

You are probably ok. What is the pump impeller speed? What are the fan speeds? What is the liquid temperature? 

I have had a 1600,3600,5600x and 5900x under the same watercooler (a 2x120mm fans). the 3600 would easily jump to 85C. The 5900x would stay under 65C. However, with the 5900x the liquid temperature would be closer to 45C and I am running 1900 rpm impeller speed and with the 3600 the liquid temperate would barely break 35C, and the impeller speed was 900-1100 rpm as the board was applying fan profiles to the AIO header in order BIOS. The 3600 would not heat up the room, the 5900x would, enough so I don't run heat in that room in the winter. When I removed the 3600 I noticed the edges of the heat spreader etched impressions in the cold plate of the cooler. I took that CPU to an edge and feeler gages oh my, it quickly went to the sandpaper. 

Also, you probably know but when installing a cooler never tighten one side/corner more than another, or you can make the cold plate sit on an edge/corner and create a gap in the middle. 

0 Likes