Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Quafailure
Journeyman III

What cpu upgrade should i get?

0 Likes
10 Replies

Error message from PCPARTPICKER saying "This Part List is Private" .

Note: what are you planning to use your PC mainly for?  Gaming, Video/streaming, surfing the internet, using professional or 3rd party Apps etc.

That would give some indication of the type of CPU upgrade you will need. 

0 Likes

I’m thinking of max around 350$ budget

0 Likes

I far as I have read the AMD processor models that end in X3D are the best for gaming PCs. but it performance is slight less than a regular processor due to its 3XD technology.

Found this Tom's Hardware article about the best Gaming Processors for 2024 and it mentions this about AMD Ryzen processor: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

AMD's Ryzen 7 7800X3D is both the best AMD CPU for gaming and the fastest gaming CPU in the world. Its $370 price point is far more accessible than AMD's other Ryzen 7000 3D V-Cache models. The innovative 3D-stacked V-Cache design boosts gaming performance to new heights but results in reduced performance in some productivity apps. Do your research before you buy, but it does deliver the best gaming performance overall. If you need more threaded heft, look to the Ryzen 7 and 9 versions listed below.

For now, AMD continues to pressure Intel in the value gaming segment: AMD's new Ryzen 7 5700X3D provides up to 30% more gaming performance than the lackluster Core i5-14400, making it a compelling option for those obsessed with the fastest value CPU for gaming, but it comes with tradeoffs in productivity apps. In contrast, AMD's Ryzen 5 7600X and Ryzen 5 7600 are better all-rounders and sell for much less than before. Pricing for AMD's motherboards and DDR5 memory is also now more favorable, giving the Ryzen lineup a win over the Core i5-14400.

NOTE: One thing you must also consider is if your present System RAM will still be compatilbe with the new upgraded processor. If it isn't then you may also need to upgrade your RAM memory.

Make sure you have the latest Non-BIOS version installed so that it will support your new processor.

0 Likes

i have 32 g of ram, whoudl the ryzen 9 not be better than the ryzen 7? and is my motherboard good enough for it?

0 Likes

You see the problem is that you don't give out any information about your computer hardware and software like Make & Models and versions installed.

So I am just giving you a general answer until you supply more information about your PC.

If you don't know your PC information then download a free small program called SPECCY and run it. It will give you all the information about your PC.

To answer your question yes a Ryzen 9 would be better than a Ryzen 7 but to find out what CPU your motherboard supports I need the Make & Model of your Motherboard.

0 Likes

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zfYWPF 

did not know it was privated here is the public version

Thanks for the update.

This is your MSI B550M Pro-VHD Wifi motherboard CPU List: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550M-PRO-VDH-WIFI/support#cpu

The best X3D Processor upgrade is the Ryzen 7 5800X3D Processor but you will need BIOS Version 7C95v2A.zip or newer installed for the processor to boot up and be recognized.

Here are all the Ryzen 9 processor with their BIOS version needed that is supported by your Motherboard:

Screenshot 2024-09-03 144317.png

You can see which Ryzen 9 you want and google it to see if it is a good processor for gaming or not and also to see how much it costs to determine if it is within your budget. 

Here are all the Ryzen 7 processor your motherboard supports with it BIOS version that you will need to have installed:

Screenshot 2024-09-03 144553.png

If you upgrade your processor you will need to make sure your Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler will strong enough to keep your new upgraded processor from overheating.

I am not a gamer so I really can't advise you on which processor to purchase. But there are many Users that are gamers that might be able to assist you in determining which processor to upgrade.

I see that you have a Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card  which has 12GB of vRAM which is great for running games. 

One thing you must consider is if your new CPU will be throttled by your GPU card or the GPU card will be throttled by your CPU.

You can get a general idea from this FPS/Bottleneck website that gives you a general idea if your CPU/GPU combo will be throttled while playing games: FPS & Bottleneck Calculator 

Plus with 32 GB of System RAM you have a PC that will run just about any latest new games close to maximum settings.

EDIT: PCPARTPICKER can tell you if the CPU Cooler you have is compatible with whichever processor you choose to upgrade to. 

Same goes for your GPU and RAM.

0 Likes

Great processors. Google each one to see if they are good for gaming and then use the FPS/BOTTLENECK calculator link I posted previously to see if your GPU card will be throttled by the processor.

The Ryzen 7 5800x3D is considered to be a gaming processor that Ryzen 9 are regular processors that can be used for gaming also.

Some specs concerning Maximum Operating Temperature and TDP for CPU Cooler rating for each of the processor you linked:

Ryzen 9 5950X:

CPU Cooler TDP rating: 105 watts

Maximum Operating Temperature: 90c

Ryzen 9 5900X:

CPU Cooler TDP rating: 105 Watts

Ryzen 7 5800x3D:

CPU Cooler TDP rating: 105 Watts

NOTE: in each of those processor links in PCPARTPICKER click on "View Compatible CPUCOOLERS" and see if your Noctua CPU Cooler is listed as being compatible otherwise at having a MOT of 90c it might overheat during gaming if the CPU Cooler is under-powered.

0 Likes