cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Grimmsoul
Adept I

Upgrading Ryzen 1800X on a X370 Mobo

Currently I have a X370 Asus Crosshair Mobo paired with the Ryzen 7 1800x CPU for my daughter as I upgraded to a new system with the Ryzen 7 5800x. I would like to Upgrade her X370 Mobo with a New Ryzen 5 5000 series CPU. my question is. Is switching to a Ryzen 5 5000 series a down grade from the Ryzen 7 1800x in performance, or is it a performance upgrade due to the newer architecture. Cant really find any materials covering the Differences Between the CPU's and the generations.   I only say Ryzen 5 series due to her not needing anything more than that for her gaming and music and web surfing. I would like something she can grow into also that will have plenty of power before we need to upgrade again. Looking over the web and such, people say to stay away from the Ryzen 5 4500 it has no real value, and the Ryzen 5 5600x I think will be to much for her, I just want to find the right mix, Solid upgrade from the 1800x with good performance in the Ryzen 5 class. please feel free to leave suggestions.

How do you know if you're an AMD Fan Boy...How do you know if you're an AMD Fan Boy...

0 Likes
1 Reply
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

While staying in the Ryzen 5 5000 series, I would say to just get the Ryzen 5 5600X. I just built a PC for my cousin, and he loves it. I don't see a reason to go with anything more than or less than the performance the 5600X provides as the AM4 platform is now obsolete. What I mean is, there will be no more CPUs on that platform to my knowledge. 

AM5 just released, and if you have the money for it I would say to just adopt the new platform, because AMD has committed to using it for a minimum of 3 years. 

However, on the AM4 platform the best gaming chip is the 5800X3D. It outperforms everything released for AM4, and nearly meets the performance of the Ryzen 7000 series in most games. 

This all being said, games are getting more demanding. Every major release has been more and more demanding and the Ryzen 5600X seems to hold it's own in almost every game my cousin has played since I built his PC. 

I do not know if you are going to be using the PC for more CPU intensive tasks but as a gaming chip the Ryzen 5 5600X is neck and neck with my Ryzen 7 5700X. The budget option Ryzen 5 5600 is also a great choice as it isn't much of a downgrade from the Ryzen 5 5600X. I purchased the 5600X just because it was on sale and came with a cooler. 

One thing you can do is go on YouTube and search Ryzen 7 1800X vs Ryzen 5 5600X and see if there are any comparisons.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes