cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ptjohns100
Journeyman III

Trying to determine if the cpu is the item in my system that is failing.

I had a computer that started failing, so I built an entirely new system.  Now, I am trying to use the cpu and memory from the original system that went bad in a 2nd new computer, and cannot get the computer to work.  I purchased a new Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite AX  ver 1.3 motherboard, I am using the old AMD 5800X cpu, the old Corsair memory CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16 (I spoke to Gigabyte and they said this memory is on their compatible list), the old 2 TB SSD, new ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW X 240 CPU AIO 240mm CPU Liquid Cooler.

After setting up the computer, when I try to install Windows 11, it lets me click a couple items and then the computer reboots.  If I don't click anything the computer locks up after a few seconds.  I tried using each memory dimm alone one at a time, and the same locking up happens.  I'm thinking because of this it is probably not the memory as it is unlikely both dimms would fail simultaneously.  If I just boot to the bios, the system does not crash or lock up right away.  Since this is a new motherboard, I am thinking that it is unlikely that it is the motherboard.  That leaves the cpu.  Since I can't boot the system, I can't run any tests on the cpu.  I don't have access to another AM4 cpu to test the system with, nor do I have any other compatible memory to try.  I am building this computer as a gift to a friend and would really like to be able to get it working soon.  What else can I do to determine if the problem is with the cpu, other than buying a new cpu to test the system?

0 Likes
0 Replies