cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pannaguy
Journeyman III

Thermal paste on side of cpu, does this void warranty?

Dear AMD community forum users,

A couple days ago I tried installing a new 7800X3D in a new motherboard and during that process the thermal paste seeped to the sides of the cpu onto an epoxy resin protected part.

I was able to remove that from the epoxy resin on the side of the cpu, but a tiny bit got under the huge cooling pad from the cpu that gets in contact with the processor cooler.

Does this void warranty or have any chance of damage? The thermal paste used is non-conductive (electrically) and I could only remove the thermal paste on the side as the cooling plate on top of the cpu seems to have a slight height to it that allowed the tiny speck of thermal paste to sit there (without a chance of removal...)

0 Likes
1 Solution
FunkZ
Paragon

As long as the thermal paste is electrically non-conductive, getting a small amount between the IHS (integrated heat spreader) and the PCB (printed circuit board) of the processor is not a concern.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

View solution in original post

1 Reply
FunkZ
Paragon

As long as the thermal paste is electrically non-conductive, getting a small amount between the IHS (integrated heat spreader) and the PCB (printed circuit board) of the processor is not a concern.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT