Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gpurendering
Journeyman III

Socket AM4 vs TRX40

Hello

Is there any specific information regarding whether the 4th and 5th gen Threadripper's will be usable on the TRX40 socket?

In considering the Ryzen 5950X vs the entry level Threadripper 3960X, the 5950X wins for clock speed but the 3960X wins for cores. I am thinking, if the TRX40 boards can utilise the 5nm Threadripper's in a couple/three years, one will have the best of both worlds - clock speeds higher than the 5950X and more cores than one knows what to do with

Anyone have any specific official information regarding future compatibility on the TRX40 socket?

Thank you

Alan

0 Likes
2 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Wrong place to ask this. Try the corporate contacts, pre-sales or AMD support directly. Google is the only other option. It stands to reason if you need Threadripper cores, than stick with that. The CPU's function entirely different, the 5950X is a high end desktop CPU.

The TRX40's are for servers, enterprise computing, intense CPU applications with a lot of threads, commercial grade stuff. I wouldn't even consider one for gaming. The 5950X can game but it's on that fine line of high workload over gaming performance and the 5900x is the best for both work/play, as it leans hard into gaming, yet can do some pretty crazy workloads.

Socket life, I think the AM4 platform has about 5 years left in it. TRX40, if they change the architecture, they may change the socket as well. Given it's been in use longer than the AM4, it most likely will change but how soon?

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
Hyperstrike
Adept II

Please remember, also, that Threadrippers pull significantly more power than the Ryzen 5's do as well.

Basically, I would wait until AMD gets their CURRENT projects shipping in a reasonable manner before asking about any future products they might paper-launch (we're currently sitting at FIVE.

0 Likes