Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

JynxedKoma
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 9950x temps

Hey all,

Just a quick question as I'm somewhat suspicious despite reassurances from other AMD chip owners stating such chips are meant to inherently run hot. But before that, here is a quick rundown of my base hardware and spec just in case it may help provide the most accurate information:

Ryzen 9 9950x (Brand new, running at stock 200W with PBO disabled)

Asus rog crosshair x670e hero (Brand new)

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 (ARGB) (Three years old but ran perfectly fine with my 14900K intel chip days before changing over to my new AMD one, and since thoroughly cleaned out in preparation for this build from each fan to the radiator itself.)

Zotac RTX 4080 (New)

Now to the question at hand...After posting for the first time into the bios, the CPU displayed running at the low 40's but soon reported as running at an idle average temp between 50-63 degrees whilst in windows, then ramping up to as hot as 75-ish (with spikes into the low 80's every now and then, depending on the game) and then for anything such as 3D rendering that uses all 32 cores, ramping up to a near constant 88-93 degrees.

Is this normal behaviour for the 9950x?

Kindest regards

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

JynxedKoma, have you read the MANY threads about overheating here? Please do. 9950X maximum temperature is specified by AMD as 95C. It is OK and warranted by AMD to run at this temperature. There is no such thing as a

"normal behaviour". John.

Hey John,

I have read a fair few, including on Reddit. However, given they were not ones of this specific SKU or gen, I just wanted to make sure from a more reputable source.

But if you are saying that I have indeed, likely not inaccurately placed my AIO pump and all is well, then I shall take that as confirmation.

Thank you!

0 Likes

Thanks, JynxedKoma, please remember this is a user forum and does not represent AMD. I am a user just like you. To communicate with AMD go here. John.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Yes, those temperatures are expected for the 9950X.

If you check the installation instructions for your CPU cooler, it may be possible to offset the cooler slightly, which can help to further improve temperatures on AMD CPUs with the Liquid Freezer II AIOs.

You also didn't mention what BIOS you are using, but you may want to make sure you are using the latest for the Hero, which is 2204. https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-x670e-hero-model/helpdesk_bios/