cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

alespool
Newcomer

Ryzen 9 7950x3d temperature 80 at idle

I have a setup with 7950x3d overheating even on idle - 80 C You can see my current setup with fans and other stuff inside it

image.png

I also want to make people know it's hardware problem because I just re-did a fresh install when I assembled and only have Steam installed I did some testing this early morning, by ruled out I mean temps were still unreasonably high:

1) Moved top fan to the top of the CPU to make sure it was taking hot air out - ruled out

2) Changed case to another one with less fans, less space to make sure it was a case problem - ruled out

3) Removed GPU to see if it was badly affecting with the heat. This removed a lot of heat, when it would give me 76-78 when I tried to open a game and ~60-65 idle. Would still say it's too high

4) Now I tried to remove the cooler once again, and want to ask you if from the paste application you see something wrong: https://imgur.com/a/Im20bIH

image.png

There is also a discrepancy between the temperatures I see in AMD Adrenaline and the ones I see in HWInfo, where seemingly only the highlighted one in HWInfo is the same as the one in AMD Adrenaline. 

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 7900 XTX

CPU: RYZEN 7 7950x3d

Motherboard: Asrock B650M-HDV/M.2 AMD B650

RAM: 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 6000

PSU: Corsair 850 RMe

Case: NZHT H5 Flow

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11 Pro

Description of Original Problem: The CPU heats up to 75/80 degrees even when I am not doing anything with the PC besides browsing.

Troubleshooting: I did some testing this early morning, by ruled out I mean temps were still unreasonably high:

1. Moved top fan to the top of the CPU to make sure it was taking hot air out - ruled out

2. Changed case to another one with less fans, less space to make sure it was a case problem - ruled out

3. Removed GPU to see if it was badly affecting with the heat. This removed a lot of heat, when it would give me 76-78 when I tried to open a game and ~60-65 idle. Would still say it's too high

4. Now I tried to remove the cooler once again, and want to ask you if from the paste application you see something wrong: https://imgur.com/a/Im20bIH

1 Solution

That's okay, similarly named CPUs so I can understand why you might confuse then. I primarily wanted to mention it as they have different power limits and max temperatures.

I would consider monitoring either the CPU temperature shown in Ryzen Master Tool, or the TDie temperature as shown in HWINFO64. Both are accurate representations of the CPU temperature as whole. 

Tdie typically represents the warmest sensor found in the CPU. The temperature shown in Ryzen Master Tool is similar,  but it averages the temperature slightly over a short time period, which can help mitigate the very brief spikes you can see sometimes in temperature whioh will be picked up by the Tdie sensor.

Your temperatures look fine to me for an air cooler, so please do not worry. You might want to check what start-up apps/background apps you have running, as monitoring apps which poll the CPU can sometimes cause a slight increase in idle temperatures. This is not a problem, but just something to be aware of. 

You could try a selective start-up in Windows to see if any background apps might be running and causing this. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies
eebiii
Forerunner

There is a problem with the cooler. Did that chip burn? 

Fans are not the issue here. Either the heatsink / fan is being mounted incorrectly or the cooler is just junk. Replace. Hopefully there is no damage to the chip. 

Yes idle temps are way to high!

0 Likes

Yes, my final test is waiting for the new cooler to arrive, it should be here in some hours. I can't explain it otherwise, I carefully watched and remounted it multiple times to make sure I wasn't making mistakes. 

Surely I could be wrong, if that's the case the new cooler should tell me... 

eebiii
Forerunner

It looks like to me that the cooler wasn't making proper contact with the CPU. So new cooler should do the trick. You have plenty of room for an AIO cooler also. That 7950X would appreciate it. Probably easier to install than those standard Heatsink / fan combo's. 

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

alespool, post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) Advanced view in the same condition. What is your ambient? What RPMs are the CPU fans turning? Are both fans turning? John.

0 Likes

Hello @misterj ,thank you for the answer. I have an ambient temp of ~20 degrees now, and the cpu fans are both turning at automatic speed, I haven't controlled their speed. Here is the advanced view on Ryzen Master

alespool_0-1725280213123.png

0 Likes

alespool, the AMD maximum temperature is 95C. Why does RM say 85C? Have you modified it? If so, how? I think the problem is that your are not at idle. Two cores are running at about 1500 MHz and 2 about 1000 MHz. Close all applications except for RM and post the same screenshot. John.

0 Likes

@misterj thanks. I have never modified RM settings, as far as I know the 7950x3d has a maximum temperature of 85 before thermal throttle. I tried to retake the screenshot after a fresh restart

alespool_0-1725286227062.png

0 Likes

Trust me and RM. Something is messing with your settings. PBO is active! PPT is set to 1000 Watts! My 32 core 3970X is set to only 280 Watts. If you are running any applications from you MB vendor, I recommend you uninstall them. Notice that your idle temperature dropped to 68C. Still a little high but serviceable. I suspect when you get rid of the junk applications you will be OK. Make sure your cooler is tight and mounted properly and all fans are running. John.

0 Likes

Thanks @misterj , I do believe you. But unfortunately I am not sure where to look for a solution, this is a clean Windows 11 installation. Besides these programs, I haven't installed anything else on this PC:

alespool_1-1725302593861.png

I really have no clue how to get started looking for these junk applications. Do you have anything in mind? 

0 Likes

alespool, now that I realize what processor you really have, thanks to Matt_AMD, I have some suggestions for you. The maximum temperature for the 7950X is 95C. Who installed Windows on your system? I have been assuming it was you. What needs to be done is a fresh install of Windows. Save your data, format your C:Disk and install Windows. Do not install any AMD software from your MB vendor and do not install any applications from your vendor. If this was built to order system, then you must talk to the builder to straighten out the mess. I apologize for missing the processor model displayed on many screenshots you posted, my BAD. John.

0 Likes

Your screenshots show a 7950X processor, not a 7950X3D. 

Please refer to the listed product specifications for the 7950X3D here > https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/desktops/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d.html

The maximum temperture is 89c for the 7950X3D.  

Please refer to the listed product specifications for the 7950X here > https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/desktops/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d.html

The maximum temperture is 95c for the 7950X. 

It is possible that AMD Software may be giving a false temperature reading if it returns different temperature values as to what is shown in HWINFO64 and Ryzen Master Tool.

Yes, @Matt_AMD you are actually right. The CPU is 7950X, comes as a bit of a surprise since I had this CPU for some months now. 

Anyways, checking the HWINFO64 and Ryzen Master, the RM temps is consistent with that of AMD Adrenalin but other people pointed out I shouldn't look at those, but rather at others liek Core Temperature and CCD1 or CCD2 in HWINFO64. What do you say about this? I plotted the average temperatures for the previous and new cooler compared: 

alespool_0-1725302422982.png

Surprisingly, the new cooler does even worst than the old one. Obviously this assumes slight differences in the usage (it was measured both times in a couple hours of browsing/meetings etc) but I would say those nominal temps for the "important" aspects should be fine. I still don't understand why it's that high in AMD Adrenlain and Ryzen Master. Do you have anything in mind?

0 Likes

That's okay, similarly named CPUs so I can understand why you might confuse then. I primarily wanted to mention it as they have different power limits and max temperatures.

I would consider monitoring either the CPU temperature shown in Ryzen Master Tool, or the TDie temperature as shown in HWINFO64. Both are accurate representations of the CPU temperature as whole. 

Tdie typically represents the warmest sensor found in the CPU. The temperature shown in Ryzen Master Tool is similar,  but it averages the temperature slightly over a short time period, which can help mitigate the very brief spikes you can see sometimes in temperature whioh will be picked up by the Tdie sensor.

Your temperatures look fine to me for an air cooler, so please do not worry. You might want to check what start-up apps/background apps you have running, as monitoring apps which poll the CPU can sometimes cause a slight increase in idle temperatures. This is not a problem, but just something to be aware of. 

You could try a selective start-up in Windows to see if any background apps might be running and causing this. 

FunkZ
Exemplar

Your paste application looks fine, if slightly excessive. Better too much than too little.

Check your Thermalright cooler fans, make sure they are both blowing in the same direction, front to rear.

What BIOS version is installed on your Asrock B650M-HDV/M.2 motherboard?

Your core temperatures in HWiNFO look fine, the range is 32°C to 72°C which is perfectly normal.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

Thank you for the reply. 

The cooler fans are correctly positioned, and just today I mounted a new cooler to make sure it was that one giving me troubles. You can find in other replies the graph with results of average idle temps across different sensors. They show differences between old and new air cooler, which is surprisingly hotter.

The BIOS version is 1.21 

0 Likes