cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

simon28
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 7950X 4 Sticks of Ram Issues (128GB)

After installing a new CPU (7900 - 7950X) and new RAM (4x32GB), I began experiencing some issues. After turning off the PC for two days, it wouldn't post when I turned it back on and was stuck on the amber RAM LED for more than three minutes. After troubleshooting cables and various connections, I removed three sticks of RAM and was able to boot.

I then tried with two sticks and tested them using Windows 11 Memory Diagnostics, and everything was fine. After that, I added all four sticks again and was able to boot successfully, though the system ran at 3600 MHz with four sticks and 4800 MHz with two sticks. This configuration worked for about a week, but then I started experiencing minute-long post times with the amber RAM LED and even had one crash (though no BSOD occurred).

I also tested XMP, which worked with only 2 sticks, but with 4 sticks, the system got stuck on the amber LED lights again.

I tested all four RAM sticks using Windows 11 Memory Diagnostics but stopped the test at about 50% since no errors were detected. I then realized that this might be an issue with the AM5 platform and running four sticks of RAM, which I hadn’t fully understood before.

Since I need 128GB of RAM for After Effects/Cinema 4D/Houdini (64GB is decent but not quite enough), I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues and managed to improve system stability with all four sticks of RAM. The speed of the RAM isn't that important to me, as I notice only minor performance drops in productivity. Should I increase the SoC voltage or perhaps the VDIMM voltage? Or are 4 sticks simply too much for stable "workstation" operation?

System Specs:

Mobo: Asus ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI (Bios Version 1905)

CPU: Ryzen 9 7950X

Ram: KINGSTON FURY Beast 128GB (4X32gb) (KF552C40BBK4-128) 

3X M2 Drives 1T each

2X Geforce ProArt 4080 SUPER 16GB

PSU: LC-Power LC1200P V3.0 Platinum

0 Likes
7 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

Here are the 4x memory kits certified for your board. You could try contacting ASUS support to see if they have tested any larger capacities in a 4x configuration.

https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-x670e-creator-wifi/helpde...

FunkZ_0-1723216497059.png

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

Thank you @FunkZ . I contacted Asus support and I'm waiting for some additional info. 

0 Likes

According to Asus QVL LIST for the 7000 series processors for 128GB RAM Set your Kingston RAM Set of 128GB is listed as being compatible: https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-x670e-creator-wifi/helpde...

Screenshot 2024-08-09 114249.png

In the above QVL LIST under Socket Support is shows your RAM Set is only compatible in 2 DIMM Slots only and not compatible in 4 DIMM slots being populated.

That is why your RAM worked on two DIMM slots but not on 4 DIMM Slots.  Seems like your Asus Motherboard doesn't support 128GB RAM. Seems like the most it supports is 96GB.

EDIT: You Motherboard Specs does indicate that it supports 128GB yet in the QVL LIST the only RAM bigger than 16GB per stick that supports all 4 DIMM Slots was for 98GB total System RAM:

Screenshot 2024-08-09 131921.png

Thank you, @elstaci . It seems that even after more than a decade of PC building, I made a rookie mistake by not thoroughly checking the number of slots in the QVL list—I just confirmed if the RAM Part No. appeared in the search query.

I also noticed some users on PCPartPicker and YouTube successfully populated all four RAM slots on this same motherboard with 128GB (4x32GB) without any issues. Given the price tag of this motherboard and the 'pro' in its name, I expected a bit more.

I will contact Asus support directly to see if they've tested other kits or if they have suggestions for making mine work. Unfortunately, I can't return the item since it's been a month since the purchase, so I think I might be stuck with 64GB.

Thank you again.

After contacting Asus Support can you post back what they said.

Either the 7000 series Processor's QVL List is in error concerning the amount of DIMM slots that it is compatible with or the processor itself might be the reason why.

Using the 8000 Series AMD Processor there are no 4x32 RAM kits on the QVL List.

In the Asus QVL List when I check marked 4x32 RAM it came up with your Kingston RAM Part number yet it mentions it is only compatible with 2 slots and not 4 slots. Which I found to be deceiving.

In fact all the High RAM sticks with more then 16GB is only compatilbe on 2 Dimm Slots so the Motherboard doesn't seem to support 128GB of RAM according to Asus QVL List.

LoL, everyone makes errors. I have many times made a similar mistake because I didn't take the time to read thoroughly the information and just scanned it quickly.

0 Likes

Here is the response from Asus support, which is quite disappointing, to say the least, as I asked for tips on how to make it work. Unfortunately, it seems I'm stuck with a 128GB kit, of which I can only use 64GB. The same ProArt motherboard for socket 1700 has plenty of 128GB options tested for 4 slots, as well as 192GB (4x48). It seems AMD's memory controllers still have a long way to go.

Besides that, I found a very interesting Reddit post regarding a 192GB kit on AM5, even on my same motherboard. It also seems that 128GB kits are causing more problems than any other kit out there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/123y52x/192gb_of_ddr55200_running_stable_on_7950x/

The other option would be 2x48GB sticks, as there are multiple options on the QVL list. But at this point, I would have to sell this 128GB kit. I’ll see how my workload demands vary. For now, 64GB is at its limit. 

simon28_0-1723551988346.png

I agree the Asus Support was just verifying what the QVL List said but didn't answer your question about using the Maximum 128GB RAM on the motherboard.

What is frustrating is the QVL List show your 128GB RAM Kit as being fully compatible but only on 1,2 DIMM Slots. 

So on the QVL List your RAM Kit should be labeled as a 64GB RAM Kit and not a 128GB RAM Kit.

0 Likes