ASUS B650E-F ROG Strix Gaming WiFi Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 RAM
Noctua NH-D15S Chromax Black CPU Cooler
WD Black SN770 1TB SSD
AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT GPU
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold PSU
Montech X3 Mesh Tempered Glass Case

I built the computer, putting the SSD in M.2_1 bay. First boot posted, but upon running Windows 11 flash drive to install, it froze on the loading circle. Rebooting led to more freezes or BSODs "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." Reseated everything. Same problems. Took out SSD and one RAM. Got to Windows setup. Tried Linux, worked. Ran Memtest86, both RAM sticks passed. Got Windows installed on spare SATA SSD. Chipset drivers fine. GPU drivers BSOD while extracting "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION." In BIOS disabled Asus Performance Enhancements, CPU Core Boost, and PBO. Everything works. SSD back in bay M.2_1 and BSOD again. Moved SSD to M.2_3 slot and Windows installs and works fine. I updated BIOS, tried with and without EXPO memory profile enabled, and still same issues. MB manual says M.2_1 is CPU controlled, M.2_3 is chipset controlled. Enabling Core Boost guarantees BSOD in Windows. Since the CPU can't seem to boost and the M.2 slot it controls seems to not work, I am thinking this is a faulty CPU. I am open to other thoughts and I only ask for additional advice or thoughts because I have never had a CPU go bad on me before.

TL;DR: New setup keeps BSOD or freezing, even loading Windows setup, unless I disable CPU Core Boost and don't use the CPU controlled M.2_1 slot. Is my CPU faulty or is it something else?

5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Nick Hamm, I suggest you open AMD support here and a request with your MB vendor. I would be much more suspicious of the MB than the processor. Enjoy, John.

I have started the RMA process with AMD and Asus. I have sent off the CPU first, but if the new one has the same behavior, then I will send back the motherboard.

Ducman
Journeyman III

Nick - I bought the same Microcenter bundle as you to upgrade from prior rock solid 2012 Asus Maximus V formula and I7 3770K w/ ASUS NVidia GTX680 GPU to move into the UHD and >60fps experience.

Mine refuses to run any GPU performance test w/o shutting down the system. CPU, RAM and Drives all test OK. Any request to test the GPU crashes my system

Please keep us posted on your progress!

ASUS B650E-F ROG Strix Gaming WiFi Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 RAM
Samsung 980Pro 2TB NVMe Gen4SSD
AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT GPU
Noctua NH-U12S 120mm CPU Cooler
Alienware 1000W multi GPU OEM PSU
Black AlienWare Area 51 XT Full Tower Chassis

bassem8246
Journeyman III

Nick - I| bought the same bundle and got the same BSOD 

I replaced the motherboard with a new one but still the same BSOD

Whats your current status

0 Likes

Your problem is similar to what happens to me, so apparently it would be a problem between the electrical management of the processor and the DDR5 memories, which would affect Core Boost. In my case, it occurs precisely in AGESA versions 1.0.0.7b to 1.0.8.0. And anyone who updates to the latest AGESA 1.0.8.0 will have the problem in any previous AGESA (which initially would not have this problem).

I requested that AMD provide a telemetry application so that these memory issues could be better investigated, because without a suitable tool, such issues are difficult to understand and report accurately.

Suggested application for telemetry of DDR5 memories for AM5 socket. 

UPDATE:

To be able to use memory at average speed (DDR5 2x32GB, GeIL XMP, 6400MHz, 32-39-39-96, 6400@5600), I need to disable the following options (Asus Rog Strix B650E):

• Precision Boost Overdrive (Peak Current Control, Medium Load Boostit, Precision Boost Overdrive);
  • Core Performance Boost.

but still when turning on the computer, I may be surprised by these problems:

Spoiler
-System

-Provider
   [ Name]Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
   [ Guid]{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID41

Version9

Level1

Task63

Opcode0