Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

empiredoom
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 7900 Running Hot

Good day all,

Just curious if my CPU is supposed to idle at 60-70 deg Celsius within 10 mins of boot, and run a few degrees short of its max operating temp while gaming?

Trying to troubleshoot if there is a problem with my CPU or that the wraith cooler is not doing the job and that I need to upgrade to an AIO.

Specs Below:

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900

MOBO: ASRock X670E Taichi

GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra

0 Likes
6 Replies
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

What's the ambient temperature of the room your gaming in?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes

Around 20 Celsius 

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

It looks like you have a 7900 non X (65TDP) and it came with the Wraith Cooler, which is fine, however, its just that. Fine.

I had the Wraith cooler on the 2700X and it did fine, no issues while idling between 40 to 50, so it comes as no surprise a 12 core CPU idling at that, although I think it could do better, like lower 50.

Having said that, I suggest you upgrade your cooling to a 240 AIO at least or if you don't like "Water Solutions", a big chunky Noctua or Be Quiet cooler will do the trick.

In the meanwhile, check if the cooler is well seated and do some offset undervolting, that could shave a few Cº off

Good Luck

The Englishman
misterj
Big Boss

empiredoom, without some information it is hard to say. Most free applications to show temperatures are poor and give erroneous results. Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) running Cinebench and at idle. Thanks and enjoy, John.

2DEZstb
Adept II

Save yourself the money for water cooling and you won't need Ryzen Masters at all, that's wasted money. you have a 670e, go into the bios...oc tweaker, preformance presets...there you can make various settings.

0 Likes

2DEZstb, Ryzen Master (RM) is certainly not wasted money (Free). It only gives truly valid information about Ryzen processors. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes