cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

x_m7
Journeyman III

Does TJMax apply to the hottest part of the die, or the overall die temperature, or something else?

I have an HP Omen 16-n0000 laptop with a Ryzen 7 6800H, and I've installed Linux on it. While running heavy workloads on the CPU, I noticed that the fans only really ramps up quickly after the hottest core reaches 100C, and even once the fans are running at high speeds the hottest core stays at 100C, despite the max operating temperature/TJMax being 95C from the specifications. The CPU does throttle somewhat, but it still stays above its 3.2GHz base clock at that state.

So, is it expected that the CPU will not treat TJMax as a hard limit and do everything it can to stay at or under it, and instead allow staying above it by a few degrees since it's looking at averages of several sensors or something like that? If so, would that be considered "safe"? When searching online I'm getting somewhat conflicting messages (some say that CPUs are designed to boost as hard as it can right up to TJMax and stay there, others say that such high temperatures are bad for the CPU if sustained.

In practice I'll probably limit the CPU's frequency to like 4GHz (instead of the 4.7GHz max boost clock) if I know I'll be running a heavy CPU workload, and for more realistic use cases I don't think the CPU will get used that hard anyway, so it's not a big deal for me personally, but I can't help but wonder if the temperatures are expected, or if HP intentionally modified the CPU's behaviour like that since on Windows the Omen software/drivers control the fans, or whatever else.

0 Likes
0 Replies