cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Repose
Adept I

Ryzen 9 5900x Won't boot but my Ryzen 7 5700G works fine.

Hey so I have been wanting to upgrade my 5700G as it is bottlenecking my 3070ti slightly in Counter Strike. 

My Computer: PSU: 750W 80+ Gold

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 64GB (DDR4 3200)

GPU: RX 3070 TI 8GB GDDR6X

MOBO: ASRock B550M PRO4

CPU: One that works Ryzen 7 5700G, One with the issue is Ryzen 9 5900x

So Today I have spent 7 hours trying to get it to work. I have completely reinstalled windows and I have flashed the Bios to Version 3.20 ASRock > B550M Pro4.  It claims it is a validated bios at P1.20 so I assume that means it should work with a higher bios version. Everything I have tried... Reseating all of the ram, fresh install of windows 11 after reformatting my ssd, Flashing BIOS to 3.20... As soon as I switch back to my Ryzen 7 5700G everything runs perfectly fine with no issues. When I put the MOBO and 5900x in PCPartpicker it even says the bios will have to be updated to 1.20 or newer. I will probably try to flash bios to 1.2 just to try it but wanted to ask for more input on this.

What would happen is it would let me completely install windows 11 from the media file but when it booted back up from the SSD it would blue screen and boot loop. Before I started everything the first time, it booted up it let me get to the sign in page before blue screening and boot looping. I am completely out of ideas and so are my friends. Could I just have a bad CPU or is there something else I could try. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Corsair memory you linked has an XMP profile to run at higher performance DDR4-3200 CL16-20-20-38 @ 1.35v but is SPD programmed to default to DDR4-2133 CL15-15-15-36 @ 1.2v so I was asking if you had tried both settings? Sometimes the XMP profile causes stability problems which can be determined by setting the BIOS to default memory speed.

Otherwise, both Machine_Check_Exception and Whea_Uncorrectable_Error point to a hardware issue and as the CPU is the only hardware you have changed between a working and non-working system it would seem to indicate the CPU is the problem. But definitely worth checking the memory setting.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

View solution in original post

5 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

So the 5900X POSTS fine, installs Windows fine, but BSOD on first Windows boot? Are you able to capture the BSOD error? Have you tried with XMP disabled?

Otherwise you're right, everything looks like it should work, might have to RMA the processor.

Repose
Adept I

Precisely what happens, to your first sentence @FunkZ. The errors are Machine_Check_Exception and Whea_Uncorrectable_Error. The errors are the exact same before and after I reinstalled everything. 
I have not tried with XMP disabled as I didn't even know what that is. (I googled it now) Do you think disabling XMP would even do anything, if it is like a 1% chance of working I might just refund the CPU to Amazon and go to Microcenter this week. Posted a video of the BSOD but it doesn't really show much besides those errors I posted above so. Thank you

0 Likes

The Corsair memory you linked has an XMP profile to run at higher performance DDR4-3200 CL16-20-20-38 @ 1.35v but is SPD programmed to default to DDR4-2133 CL15-15-15-36 @ 1.2v so I was asking if you had tried both settings? Sometimes the XMP profile causes stability problems which can be determined by setting the BIOS to default memory speed.

Otherwise, both Machine_Check_Exception and Whea_Uncorrectable_Error point to a hardware issue and as the CPU is the only hardware you have changed between a working and non-working system it would seem to indicate the CPU is the problem. But definitely worth checking the memory setting.

Repose
Adept I

I don't feel like taking out my cpu, then putting that one in and changing bios settings again if it is pointing towards a hardware issue. I appreciate your time and thank you again. I am going to just return it and get a different one.

If you primarily game you may want to consider a 5800X3D or 5700X3D as the extra cache on those chips primarily benefits gaming. If you also run productivity software that needs extra cores then the 5900X or 5950X yield better results.

0 Likes