cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

wonn
Journeyman III

New Ryzen 9 5900X suddenly shuts down the whole system under load

I just bought a Ryzen 9 5900X, and having installed it, my system has begun suddenly shutting off under high-load situations. I can pretty consistently trigger it by playing Victoria 3, setting the speed to full, and waiting for a bit; trying to run the r/techsupport HWiNFO guide (https://rtech.support/docs/guides/hwinfo.html) results in a shutoff during the FurMark install process, and booting into Windows for the first time in a long time to run the diagnostics triggered a couple of shutdowns as well just in the normal startup process (though it's stable when not being pushed now). I've tried quite a lot of things to diagnose and fix the problem and at this point am suspecting a faulty processor, but I'd like some more input. (Oddly, I can run sysbench and max out the processor with no issues whatsoever.)

The exact behaviour is that the system just dies, as if a power outage just happened - no BSOD, no period of bad performance or software issues beforehand, just total instantaneous system shutoff. Windows's event viewer contains several 'Kernel-Power' events.

• I've updated my BIOS to the latest non-beta version, which claims it supports a 5900X (B450m/ac, BIOS version 3.10); I've also gone and updated the chipset driver in Windows and confirmed the shutoff problem continues regardless

• I just went and replaced my power supply to try and fix it; the new power supply (Corsair RM750e) delays the sudden shutoff but doesn't prevent it

• It's definitely not a temperature issue, as the temperatures never exceed 75 and the last line of my last HWiNFO run that ended in a shutoff has no temperature above 70

At this point either it's a bad processor or some sort of BIOS-related setting issue, but I don't know what that would be - searching has shown suggestions of messing with things like DRAM voltage, but I don't know what specific tweaks might be applicable to my situation.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Jeffolomew
Journeyman III

Hey old post Ik but how did you solve this? I’m currently having the same issue

0 Likes

Jeffolomew, I doubt you have the same problem, so please post your specifications. Sudden shutdown usually means the processor has exceeded its Tj Max. Please install and run Ryzen Master and post  screenshots at idle and under load. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

In my case it turned out that it's almost certainly a problem with the motherboard delivering insufficient power under load; underclocking the processor in the BIOS has been a successful bandaid on the problem and at some point I'm going to upgrade the motherboard to something that can handle the load better.

0 Likes
anticcael
Journeyman III

Same issue here. Even after running curve optimizer and in eco mode. It's shut down three times while playing LC.

0 Likes