cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

s_vayner
Adept III

Ryzen 9 3900X Boost Frequency

To AMD why your new processors never hit advertised boost speeds in single or multi core performance. I have Ryzen 3900x with Asus X570 Prime Pro board running latest bios and AMD chipset drivers. My single core boost is maxed at 4.2Ghz and multi core at 4Ghz. Doesn't matter if PBO enabled or not. There are 1000's of people complaining about this and you have not even acknowledged this as a problem. Your false advertisement about boost speeds is completely unacceptable. I was always Intel customer but this time I took a chance on your company and trust me this is first and last time i will buy anything from you. You hand selected CPUs for reviewers to get the hype going and stuck your paying customers with garbage. I will be filing a RMA claim and will be exchanging this processor until i get one that performs to advertised specifications.

195 Replies
conraire
Adept III

Re: Boost on latest Ryzen 9 is a known lie by AMD

I'm going to go with a lot of people haven't got their bios settings correct.  As my 3800x regularly boosts past 4.5Ghz, its advertised boost speed, in single core loads..  Which is how it's suppose to work with a good cooler, with a motherboard with a decent VRM layout. 

I may be currently running on an X370 board, but it was a $250 flagship board when I bought it new.  I'll be upgrading to either the Gigabyte Aorus Master or MSI MEG Ace here in about a week.

To those having stability issues, try adjusting cpu vcore load line calibration tightness until the system becomes stable, and doesn't randomly crash.  I had to with my 3800X.  Prior to adjusting that it'd be stable in bios, but windows would randomly blue screen after about 10 mins of use. 

Don't cheap out on a low end motherboard, and expect it to run a higher end processor full bore, some of the lower end boards have real crappy VRM's, and won't be able to handle the higher end Ryzen 3000 CPU's properly. Some people have a really bad habit of buying the cheapest thing possible.

Your ASUS Prime X570 Pro appears to be a decent mid range board.  SO it may have to do with bios settings.  What is the rest of your system configuration?  What other monitoring or OC software do you have installed other than Ryzen Master?

If you pay attention to any of the major reviewers on Youtube, etc.  You'd know that 4.1-4.2Ghz is the all core boost range for Ryzen 3000 cpu's.  Generally to get 4.2Ghz you need good cooling.  Some can hit 4.3Ghz all core boost, but it takes really good or exotic cooling to do so.  The advertised max boost is for single core under stock cooling, or lightly threaded under good cooling.  And if you have good cooling and a good VRM it will go past the advertised boost max. 

s_vayner
Adept III

Hi, my board is Asus X570 Prime Pro which is not top of the line but its in higher end category. I'm not looking for all core boost to 4.6Ghz I know that's not possible. It's the single core performance that falling short. I've never seen single core to boost above 4.2Ghz, regardless of BIOS settings. That includes running PBO on/off/auto. Undervolting CPU, running lose mem timings, among other things. This is not isolated case, there is a large group of people that complaining about it on Reddit. Advertised boost speed for single core was 4.6Ghz i'm falling ~10% short of it. Also i shouldn't be required to buy $1000 motherboard or exotic cooling to get advertised speeds, but that's not even the case as people with top of the line boards and water cooling have same issues. Being Intel user for over 20yrs I'm not used to having jump thru hoops to get your CPU to operate at rated speeds, is that an accepted practice for AMD? And where is AMD response to this?

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

My R5 2400G boost works fine. But my box is well cooled too.

0 Likes
conraire
Adept III

Well, thats why I asked what your system Config is.  And what other software you have installed. 

Shouldn't need PBO turned on to hit max boost, mine is disabled.  As is XFR on my board.  Under Volting may be the issue if you're still doing that.  The more you under volt, the lower the boost clock will be.  I noticed that when I was trouble shooting my 3800x, when I thought the 1.5v peaks were abnormal, apparently its normal behavior according to AMD.  The same goes for using a negative offset to under volt. 

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

The voltage varies a lot on my CPU as does others with Ryzen processors as this is one of the thermal management tools used.

If there is adequate cooling the CPU load can be higher than it could with inadequate cooling.

0 Likes
s_vayner
Adept III

config is pretty basic Asus Pro x570 motherboard, 1TB gen 4 pcie nvme, 32gb Ripjaw 3600 memory and Ryzen 3900x, nvidia GTX1070. Its a brand new build with fresh win 10 pro install. i use couple monitoring tools cpuz, amd master and hwinfo. I run CB20 for single core thread to check performance but i also leave hwinfo running to record max speeds during different use scenarios. Like i said i tried every possible setting in bios and CPU never boosted past 4.2GHz in single core testing or normal usage. Multi core is about 4GHz boost.

s_vayner
Adept III

also my temps never break 80C for cpu running stock cooler, in single core temps are even lower, so its not whats causing boost to fail.

s_vayner
Adept III

this issue is with new Ryzen 9 processors i don't know about previous generation never used AMD till now.

shinkojiro
Miniboss

PB2 just inst working very well with 3900x unfortunantly. It will take AGESA fixes to get it right. 4.6 on a whole CCX is certainly possible as I run 4.6 on CCX0 and 4.4 on all others on the norm using Ryzen Master, which allows those low-threaded tasks to function on higher clocks. Its also possible its windows scheduler once again doing its thing all wrong...