cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

babashakur
Adept I

Ryzen 8700G - Gen4 or Gen5 ?

I saw the slides of the CES on Gamers Nexus (Steve) where AMD has announced the 8700G, which was listed with support for PCIe Gen5, but on the AMD website this processor is listed as Gen4: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-8700g

babashakur_0-1704846711701.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
misterj
Big Boss

Babashakur. Generation 4. Enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

On a similar note, can you please confirm max RAM speed, both normal and OC? Per above it is 5200, however several benchmarks claim to be running faster - thank you.

0 Likes

mikehurleycmt, the user can attempt to run the RAM as fast as they want. If you have quality RAM 5200 may work. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Just to be clear Big Boss, 5200 RAM may work, or WILL work? The specs above show 2 sticks of 5200 RAM as compatible. That is not an overclock speed. If 5200 RAM WILL work, what is the max over clock RAM it will use? Is that motherboard dependent or is there a limit on the APU?

0 Likes

mikehurleycmt, please open a support request here. I do not work for AMD and we seldom see an employee posting here. In my experience, XMP will invoke the claimed speed by the vendor but it may or may not work. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

@mikehurleycmt The speed you see there is the maximum officially supported speed. EXPO and XMP are considered a form of Overclocking, so it may or may not work above that but it should reach at least the 5200 when using 2x sticks

Check here the sheet for 7950X, it says 5200 as well but I'm currently running 6000 and there are plenty of reports up to 6400. 

To mitigate the possibility of "not working", always buy EXPO certified modules from the boards QVL.

johnnyenglish_0-1704900583421.png

The Englishman
0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Babashakur. Generation 4. Enjoy, John.

but the CES slides are from AMD themselves, they announced the processor as PCIe Gen5, what is your source?

0 Likes