cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

angeh
Adept II

ryzen 7800x3d undervolt/Vcore SoC/SoC Voltage ? on x670e aorus pro x motherboard.

hello there awesome community, im looking for some guidence & assistance in trying to figure out the proper way to optimize this brand new system i got, which took some time to assemble as well but it seems to be quite worth it!
so the goal here is to have good performance with good temps for the cpu without having to experience some of the issues that apparently ryzen 7000 series got with some motherboards due to some SoC voltage if i recall and i dont wanna get my new computer burned/toasted you name it.

to clarify the system:

ryzen 7800x3d
x670e aorus pro x motherboard (ended up getting this one since they had no more asrock steel legends when my brother got to microcenter)
2x16 32gb ddr5 4800 with both xmp and expo profiles to 6000mhz
thermalright phantom spirit SE 120 cooler
psu 750w gold xpg core reactor.
2 m.2 drives, 1 ssd and 1 HDD
current bios ver: F23

things ive done so far:

1. expo 1 enabled
  2. pbo advance
  3. pbo limits to manual: ppt limit to 85w or 85000mW
  4. platform thermal throttle ctrl to manual and thermal throttle limit to 85
  5. curve optimizer all cores, negative, 30

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-09 at 10.58.25.jpeg

this is the default value in this section.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-09 at 11.11.36.jpeg

this is the pbo section in which i applied these changes as you see in the image.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-09 at 11.32.10.jpeg

all cores negative 30

now there are things that got me confused while checking hwinfo64 which seems to have been put to rest thanks to the hwinfo author that messaged me, but just incase ill show what i mean:

ive been told that in order to know the SoC i need to look at the CPU VDDCR_SOC which by default seems to be accurate as well, with the picture i posted above in bios.ive been told that in order to know the SoC i need to look at the CPU VDDCR_SOC which by default seems to be accurate as well, with the picture i posted above in bios.the value presented on ITE IT8792E on the Vcore seems to be way too HIGH, but if you see the above one ITE IT8689E seems to be lower and for some reason accurate but i wasnt sure so i took this picture and asked him.the value presented on ITE IT8792E on the Vcore seems to be way too HIGH, but if you see the above one ITE IT8689E seems to be lower and for some reason accurate but i wasnt sure so i took this picture and asked him.

now these are during cyberpunk gameplay:

decided to also provide a screen of HWmonitor incase there was something unusual in Hwinfodecided to also provide a screen of HWmonitor incase there was something unusual in Hwinfo1715285567517.png

during cyberpunk gamingduring cyberpunk gaming

and this is when i modified the SoC voltage under AMD overclocking section:

now the question i have is: does everything seems normal from what ive gathered here?

is there a way to improve anything at all? the goal is to have good temps and good performance overall, but if i can lower voltages/wattage on something in specific that will allow me to have better temps and overall performance then the better.

0 Likes
7 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

Download and install Ryzen Master and post a screenshot of the Home screen during your load testing.

I'm unable to determine what your goal is by reducing the PPT to 85W other than to completely hamstring the CPU which is at default 162W PPT, and yet increase the EDC/TDC unnecessarily?

If you are concerned about overvolting the SoC which is completely separate from core voltage, that problem was fixed in a BIOS update over a year ago, just make sure your motherboard is on a recent BIOS version.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

hello and thank you for your reply, i did limit the PPT so it wouldnt draw too much wattage (pretty much trying to keep the system cool as i can) i havent touched EDC and TDC at all though those are on default values.

1- what is SoC voltage ? and what does it do for me exactly? in "newbie" words if possible.
does this has to do with how the cpu behaves in terms of voltage and temperatures ? if i lower this what would it do, and how it would affect the system?

2- what would it be the difference with VCORE_SOC? again same questions as above pretty much.

0 Likes

If your goal is to reduce core voltage and temperature you would be better served using PBO CO (Curve Optimizer) to set a negative value, rather than restrict the PPT wattage limit of the CPU at default limits, which will prevent you from getting even the stock performance of the chip.

320A and 400A are not stock values for TDC/EDC. If you didn't set those then your motherboard did based on some setting you selected. I would suggest you reset BIOS to optimized defaults until you learn what settings you are changing to prevent damaging your components.

SoC has to do with the voltage supplied to the I/O die. Based on your initial post you must have read some early articles about the SoC overvoltage issues over a year ago. These issues have all been resolved with motherboard BIOS updates, so as long as you are current on your BIOS version you do not need to worry about that.

and you are completely right had to do some digging to find out what are the "stock" values for the TDC/EDC and its thanks to you that i found out that it was higher than should be, and yes the motherboard set those values because apparently when changing pbo limits to manual it changes to the maximum allowed by the motherboard so again BIG THANKS.

so to confirm:

1- is it not recommended to lower the values on SoC Voltage at all? and leave it what seems to be again default by the motherboard as : 1250

2- what about this?

should i tinker with VCORE SOC or just leave it as is?

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-08 at 10.38.23(1).jpeg

thanks for your very appreciated info btw.

0 Likes

Let SoC on Auto even with EXPO enabled it should adjust no more than necessary. 1250mV (1.25V) is sufficient. The early issue resulted in SoC commanding 1.4-1.5V which is very high. Again, this has been long since fixed in BIOS update.

If the PBO CO negative 30 is stable this is the most effective way to undervolt the core and allow the CPU speed to boost higher depending on temperature and limits. Ryzen Master will be helpful here to see what the limits are hitting.

i found something odd while checking ryzen master on basic view:

angeh_0-1715355072952.png

it shows that the expo profile is none when under BIOS i have set it to expo 1, is this some kind of glitch?

0 Likes

No that allows you to apply a different profile. The left side shows current, memory clock at 3000MHz (DDR5-6000)

Click Advanced View you will see a lot more info.

0 Likes