cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

benned7
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7600x (iGPU) freezes with 2 displays on AMD drivers

My brand new 7600x build can't operate 2 displays and crashes/freezes/has black images until Windows activates the built in Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

The specs

OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (100% fresh install with formatting etc.)

Mainboard: ASRock A620M Pro RS WiFi

CPU: Ryzen 7600X

Graphics: integrated

RAM: Crucial 2 x 16 GB DDR5-4800 (CT2K16G48C40U5)

boot/main SSD: Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2

PSU: be quiet! System Power 9 CM 400W

Displays: 2x ViewSonic VG2408A-MHD, 24" 100Hz (1x HDMI connected, 1x DP connected)

Basically what happenes is what you can see on this Reddit video from another user.

This PC is used for office work only, thus, no games are on there and the iGPU should be totally fine with 2 displays.

As soon as I boot up and the displays show something, everything starts blacking out or freezing.

This only happens when a) both displays are connected and b) the AMD display driver is installed and used by Windows.

As soon as you switch to the basic graphics adapter or boot into Windows safe mode, there are no problems but of course I can then only use one display @60Hz instead of 100Hz.

Here's what I have tried so far of which nothing helped:

• BIOS updated to current stable v2.10. The next is a 3.01.AS01 Beta which just came out and seems too risky for me?
  • XMP/EXPO profile unchanged at auto (4800 Mhz)
  • Changed TdrDelay settings in registry
  • Disabled UPLS
  • Disabled MPO (the reg file does the same as if you go into regedit by hand)
  • Installed around 7-8 various AMD drivers from versions 21.X - 24.X - all cleanedwith DDU and installed in Windows safe mode
  • Turned off Windows updates for devices
  • All other drivers are installed from ASRock homepage or AMD driver setup (e.g. chipset)

To me it seems that either the drivers or CPU/MB are corrupt.

And so far I have no other ideas what I can try for troubleshoot and to be honest I'm really fed up after ~12hours of solution seeking.

(my gaming PC with a 5800x and a 6750 XT never had such issues)

5 Replies
gandalfthegreet
Journeyman III

i have the same issues, nothing seems to work when i built the machine i didnt have a gpu installed and it would bsod every time until i got my gpu, i havent even bothered since as it took a week to figure out what the problem was, built it in December and had the issues since then,

win11, gigabyte i650 ax, 7600x, corsair vengeance 32gb 5600mhz and rtx3060 12gb, at one point i thought one of my ram slots was busted as i had all the colors of the bsod rainbow come up xD hopefully they fix it now as iv only seen 3 people with this issue.

0 Likes
432hz
Adept III

No to beta BIOS.

A few things come to mind:

• Try DDU / AMD Cleanup Utility in safe mode then a "Drivers Only" install of 23.12.1 or 23.11.x with "Factory Reset" selected. If this doesn't work, you can try DDU / ACU then a Drivers Only install of 24.x.x.
  • Verify your cables support 100Hz / try different cables. Sometimes there are compatibility issues with HDMI versions / DP versions.
  • Do your monitors support Freesync / Active Sync / VRR / Gsync etc? Try disabling on the monitor itself and in Windows.
  • Disable HDMI HDCP if the option is available
RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

@432hz wrote:

A few things come to mind:

• Try DDU / AMD Cleanup Utility in safe mode then a "Drivers Only" install of 23.12.1 or 23.11.x with "Factory Reset" selected. If this doesn't work, you can try DDU / ACU then a Drivers Only install of 24.x.x.

That's exactly what I did. First had Adrenalin fully installed with 24.x then removed it all with DDU and went with drivers only. Always with factory reset. The problem is that from versions 21 up untill 24 there was no improvement in the behavior when Windows booted.

@432hz wrote:

• Verify your cables support 100Hz / try different cables. Sometimes there are compatibility issues with HDMI versions / DP versions.

They are brand new HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.2 cables. From what I looked into, they are capable of 60Hz at 4k but my system runs on 1080p. So, 100Hz is no problem at all for them at this resolution. To double check I plugged both cables into my gaming computer (144Hz monitor and 1440p worked fine)

@432hz wrote:

• Do your monitors support Freesync / Active Sync / VRR / Gsync etc? Try disabling on the monitor itself and in Windows.
  • Disable HDMI HDCP if the option is available

Both negative. The one time I could open up Adrenalin with the first install of v24 drivers I checked and Freesync was disabled. The Adaptive Sync feature of the displays was turned off also. HDMI HDCP is not available.

0 Likes

The only other non-hardware cause that comes to mind is a BIOS and/or BIOS + driver incompatibility issue.

Couple other things:

1. My MSI mobo has a BIOS setting for using the iGPU for Multiple Monitors / Extended Display. If yours has the same, perhaps try disabling or enabling this.
  2. Do your mobo support dual monitors and does it support dual monitors with the 7600x? (I can't imagine it doesn't, but it's worth an email to Asrock to confirm).
  3. You can try verifying your RAM is good with MemTest86 for good measure.

If #1 doesn't work and the answer to #2 is yes, I'd agree with your initial thought: mobo / cpu hardware issue.

It's hard to imagine none of AMD's drivers would work with such a simple setup, especially with Drivers-Only install, but anything is possible I guess.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes
Rubeerology
Adept II

I have a RX 480 and whenever lately i put something larger then my 21 Inch - like plug in my 27 " curved MSI MAG screen - it'll hard crash or temporarily go black - untill i replace the old monitor - I am not sure if it was similar but its somethin' thats been buggin me that forces me to not upgrade my screen - rock on!