cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kansasdba
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5950X Problems (Faulty CPU? Faulty Motherboard?)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard #1: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming (Current BIOS)
Motherboard #2: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi II (Current BIOS)
RAM: Corsair Vengance RGB Pro (128GB @ 4x32GB) DDR4 - 3600 Mhz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ultra
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Original Problem:
System was running normally since I built it (March, 2022).
BIOS settings were pretty much factory default (I'm not trying to overclock anything here).
As of about February/March 2024, the system started having a problem where it would completely freeze at random times. The display on the screen would be frozen (no updates), but the system would be completely unresponsive to all input and network traffic. Occassionally, this would also have a Windows BSoD with a "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION". In most of those cases, the screen would also freeze before the BSoD completed.

After much debugging (checked power supply voltages, updated BIOS, updated drivers, ran MEMTEST86+ from a CD, reset CMOS, confirmed Windows was OK. Problem persisted.

Even went to the extent of swapping out the RAM and GPU from another PC and swapped out the motherboard with another one (Motherboard #2).

Eventually, per AMD, I was able to RMA the CPU.

So now, new CPU.

Not getting the "freeze" anymore. However, with either motherboard, Windows is still getting a BSoD and rebooting. Per the Event Viewer, I'm seeing WHEA-Logger Event 46 errors. Occasionally WHEA-Logger Event 18.

At this point, I'm at my wit's end. Again, I'm not trying to overclock here. I shouldn't have to fiddle with voltages, etc. I just want a stable system. 

Any suggestions?  Do I need to RMA the CPU again?

0 Likes
4 Replies
ed6698
Adept III

I used to use my 5800x then switched to a 5950x with my Asus B550-F Gaming MB. My 5800x ran fine in the MB, but once I switched the CPU to a 5950X it seemed that the MB just was on the fringe of being able to power/run the 5950x stabile, granted I jack up the power limits and use curve optimizer, OC ram, to get max performance out of my CPU's. I started researching other MB's and found that the AUS x570 Crosshair VIII Dark hero has a more robust power delivery, so I got one. On the latest bios 4805 for the Dark Hero, my 5950x functions outstandingly. I think the B550-F is just a tad underpowering the 5950x especially with 128GB ram @3600. Might want to trying running Ram @3200 in your current system and see if it helps.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - Ryzen 5950X - Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black - 4x8GB 32Gb GSkill DDR4 3800 - Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC V2 - Samsung 980 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, Corsair Force GT - Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Try less RAM or less speed, 128gb is quite a lot on the IMC, not every CPU gets lucky.

The B550 F version, although being not up to par when compared to the E version VRMs, should be able to handle the 5950X nicely. My old Faithfull B450 E could handle the 5950X. Not mentioning that it was running the 2700X at a good level, peaking out at 170Watts draw.

If you suspect that could be power delivery, use EcoMode to troubleshoot.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes
kansasdba
Journeyman III

So, the original configuration (B550E motherboard, 5950X, 128GB RAM) ran just fine for almost 2 years.

When I received the new CPU from the RMA, I originally installed it into the B550E Motherboard and started getting these WHEA errors.  (But, at least no complete freeze ups, just the BSoD).

So, I switched to the B550-F (just to rule out the motherboard) and the WHEA/BSoD problem followed.Z

And, just for the record, I'm not trying to overclock anything.  And, at this point, system is encountering the errors with minimal load.

I purchased a PSU Voltage tester and the numbers are within the expected range.

How would "EcoMode" help to troubleshoot? (And would that be a BIOS setting somewhere?)

Full System Config:

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi II -- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X -- Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh C RGB -- 4x32GB Corsair DDR4 3600 -- EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SC Ultra -- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB  NVMe -- Seagate Barracuda 8TB (x2) -- Corsair HX1000 PSU 

0 Likes

FYI:  I removed 3 of the 4 DIMMS (so, down to a single 32GB DIMM).  Again, system mostly idle, reboots with a WHEA 46 error.

0 Likes