cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

JohnnyGat
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 7840hs High Temperature

I currently use a laptop, HP OMEN 16, with the Ryzen 7 7840hs and rtx 4060. I noticed that my cpu temps were going quite high, 90+ degrees in games like cyberpunk 2077.
So i used Universal Tuning Utility to limit the APU temp to 80 degrees Celsius. This actually brought the temps down from 95+ to 72 degrees, a MASSIVE drop. I didnt change any other setting like APU Power Tuning, APU VRM Tuning etc. My question is , is this a correct thing to do? Limiting the temperature without any changes to cpu power draw ? Will it cause issues like stability etc?

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

JohnnyGat, your maximum temperature is 100C, so 95C is OK. Laptops tend to run hot. What are you using to measure temperature? Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello misterj, thank you for the reply.

I used a couple of different softwares to measure the temperature. One was a built in HP Software called Omen Gaming Hub , and the other was HwINFO. Thing is , my cpu temp shot up to 100 yesterday on cyberpunk, and a couple mins later the game crashed. Why I am so concerned is the fact that my friend has the same laptop. In fact, he is the one who recommended it . But on his laptop, even under heavy gaming load, his cpu doesnt go above 70 degrees. It could be due to the fact that he lives in Munich, Germany while I live in a tropical country with high summer temps. Still, it was concerning me because my game kept crashing as soon as temps hit 99-100. Which is why I used Universal Tuning Utility to limit it . So i just wanna know, is what im doing safe ?

0 Likes

JohnnyGat, I am a user like you and cannot speak for AMD. It sounds like to me you have a defective machine. I would talk to your seller for a replacement. I assume you cannot run Ryzen Master, but please try it. Third party utilities seem to be faulty at best. I do not know why AMD chooses to not provide a utility for some processors and this it is a serious oversight. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes