Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Leer
Adept I

Ryzen 7 7800X3D overheating shortly after startup

Hello,

I just bought my Ryzen 7 7800X3D alongside a new motherboard and RAM. 

The problem I'm running into is that after I boot my PC and see the BIOS, the CPU is rapidly overheating to 100°C before shutting down.

My build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Eagle AX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 16 GB 6000MHz

GPU: None (I unplugged my GPU to eliminate an error source but to no avail)

PSU: Coolermaster V750

Thanks already for the help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
thag
Adept I

Not using any CPU cooler these days is a 100% suicide.

First, buy some good cooler for your CPU. 

I'm not a fan of liquid coolers, but  I can recommend you Noctua NH-D15 or NH-U12A and get some good thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Second,  it is not bad to do undervolting on 7800X3D which can helps with temps dramatically. 

Watch some youtube videos, there are plenty of them, how to undervolt 7800X3D while maintaining its peformance.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Leer. Obvious question, what CPU cooler are you using? If it is liquid as recommended by AMD, make sure the pump is running. John.

Uhm... I do not have a cooler yet!

Since the CPU comes without one, I thought I wouldn't need one. I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to these things.

So... is it normal that the system overheats on startup without a cooler? I was a little afraid of getting one if there already is a problem with the base setup and wanted to make sure!

0 Likes

Leer, these modern processors will overheat quickly with no cooler. John.

I see, I will get a cooler. Thanks again for the help!

0 Likes

You need a cooler. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB

Maybe should have read the back of the box?

FunkZ_2-1718202620004.png

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
FunkZ
Paragon

Stated complaint is CPU overheating, list system specs but don't list cooler used or validation that fans/pump are running?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
thag
Adept I

Not using any CPU cooler these days is a 100% suicide.

First, buy some good cooler for your CPU. 

I'm not a fan of liquid coolers, but  I can recommend you Noctua NH-D15 or NH-U12A and get some good thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Second,  it is not bad to do undervolting on 7800X3D which can helps with temps dramatically. 

Watch some youtube videos, there are plenty of them, how to undervolt 7800X3D while maintaining its peformance.

Hey thag,

thanks for the recommendations! Will definitely read up on undervolting and get a cooler.

Is there a reason you're not a fan of liquid coolers? What're the downsides?

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

There is a nice little place here on the community with some How to Articles

Have a look

How to Build a Gaming PC - AMD Community

The Englishman

Hey, 

thanks for the link!

0 Likes