cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

west105
Adept I

ryzen 7 7700x integrated graphics wont work

I have had this pc for a couple months now. All the parts were new except the graphics card and power supply which I got from eBay. While using the system I have only used dedicated graphics, but just recently have wanted to try to run the integrated graphics from my CPU. So, I remove the graphics card and plug in the HDMI to the motherboard, the computer runs normal until I get to the windows startup up were it prompts me to enter my password. Either before or after I enter anything I go to a gray screen. When I'm in this screen I have no control whatsoever. After this I sit there until windows says it has run in to an error and tries to restart itself which doesn't work. I restart and the process repeats. 

Processor: RYZEN 7 7700X

Graphics card: RX 5700 XT

Ram: 16GB DDR5

0 Likes
20 Replies

You really don't need to remove your GPU card to use your APU Integrated Graphics.

Just connect your monitor or a second monitor to one of your Motherboard's Video outputs while in Windows Desktop.

Both GPU card and IGPU should have been enabled in Device Manager. 

Also check Windows Settings - Display and see if your Monitor shows up while being connected to the IGPU.

I would install the GPU card again and when it boots into Windows Desktop go to Device Manager under "Display" and see if both GPU and IGPU are enabled without any errors.

Also check to see if there are any errors in Device Manager as a whole.

Here is the latest R7 7700X IGPU AMD Driver that is also compatible with your RX5700XT GPU card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-8-2

See if by updating to the latest IGPU AMD Driver everything looks good in Device Manager under Display.

Use DDU to remove your current AMD driver and deleting the AMD Driver installation folder at C:\AMD BEFORE installing the new driver.

0 Likes

I got it redownloaded, but still run into the same problem.

0 Likes
west105
Adept I

I have successfully uninstalled the drivers, but after doing this when I tried to reinstall them, I ran into an error. The error was 186 which said amd software could not install because of missing or corrupted files. Plz help without drivers I am unable to do much of anything. 

0 Likes
NewAtlantis
Adept II

Did you enable the integrated graphics in your BIOS?

0 Likes

how do you do that

0 Likes

You need to check the manual of your mainboard (for me it is F2). After restart you push the right key. Mostly it's one of the following: ESC, F1, F2, F8, F10, F12 or Delete.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/how-to-enable-my-integrated-graphics-card-in-the-bios/... 

0 Likes

You can check in check in Device Manager if your IGPU is enabled or disabled. I would do that first.

Did you use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller: Wagnardsoft DDU Download  ) to remove your current AMD driver by any chance?

Also did you delete the previous AMD Driver Installation folder at C:\AMD?

If you didn't do none of the above, do that first and then see if the driver installs correctly.

Here is AMD explanation and fix for error 186: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb186

Screenshot 2023-09-01 144751.png

If you still are having the same error open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket as mentioned by AMD and upload the Installation Log to see why you keep getting that error from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

NOTE: Make sure Windows is fully updated via Windows Updates and also run in a Elevated Command Prompt the following command line: SFC /scannow

That will check to make sure your Windows installation is not corrupted or missing critical files.

You can copy and paste the SFC command into Command Prompt or Powershell.

0 Likes

Firstly i uninstalled the drivers with ddu which worked. 

Next i deleted all old amd application via file manager was unsure what you meant by the command C:/Amd. 

Then I reinstalled drivers which went fine

i checked windows updates through settings and the command you gave me and it said there was none. 

And i checked device manger which showed my graphics card the rx 57000xt and amd Radeon(tm) graphics which assume is the integrated graphics. 

but even when pluging in the hdmi cord to the motherboard it all freezes or goes gray. 

this is my first monitor which i have the graphics card plugged intothis is my first monitor which i have the graphics card plugged into

0 Likes

this is a picture of the amd adrelin editionthis is a picture of the amd adrelin editionIMG_0678[1].JPG

0 Likes

Can you post an image of Device manager with Display and Monitor opened up?

Under "Monitor" see if you see both Monitors being displayed without errors.

Also post an image of GPU-Z for both of your GPUs, the GPU card and IGPU. You can select the correct GPU at the bottom of GPU-Z.

GPU-Z will show me if the AMD driver is install correctly for both GPUs.

Device Manager will tell me if both GPUs are enabled without any errors showing. If everything checks good then it could be a Motherboard or Monitor or Windows Setting issue.

Make sure that in Windows Settings - Display you have both Monitors showing. I have my DP Main Monitor (1) and HDMI Samsung 2k TV (2) connected to my GPU card. This is how it looks like in Windows Settings:

Screenshot 2023-09-01 162137.png

By the way, when you connect two monitors, you will need to re-adjusted your Windows Resolution again after connecting. One Monitor's Resolution will cause both Monitors to have the same Resolution until you adjust again. At least on my PC.

Under Windows Settings - Graphics you can choose which GPU you want specific Apps to use when running.

NOTE: AMD Radeon Settings seems to show both GPUs correctly.

So it is either a Motherboard, Monitor, Monitor Cable, or Windows issue or even possibly your AMD Processor issue.

EDIT: The picture with the gray screen you mentioned it was from your GPU card. I thought the gray screen was from being connected to your IGPU.

By the way, Yes, AMD Radeon Graphics is your IGPU.

0 Likes

yes i will try to send you the pictures the one display playing the screen of the igpu said that the file size was to big so it wouldn't let send it, but it basically showed a frozen picture of windows home. And how do i show you that both monitors are connected because when i connect the hdmi cord to the cpu everything freezes so i have no control.

0 Likes

file.giffile 2.gif

0 Likes

biosbiosbios settings for integrated grtaphicsbios settings for integrated grtaphics

0 Likes

I wouldn't mess with your AMD Driver anymore. According to both of your GPU-Z it seems to be installed correctly with all the proper APIs at the bottom check marked.

Did Window Device Manager show any errors by any chance?

Here is how mine looks like with my GPU card and 2 Monitors:

Screenshot 2023-09-01 200022.png

Make sure you have the latest AMD CHIPSET and BIOS version installed.

You seemed to have an out-dated BIOS version. There are several new versions since the one you have installed: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B650-P-WIFI/support

Screenshot 2023-09-01 201118.pngScreenshot 2023-09-01 201151.png

Here is the latest AMD CHIPSET for the B650 Motherboard: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/b650

I was wondering what "Hybrid Graphics" was on your MSI BIOS Settings. This is what I found out about that unfamilar setting: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/what-is-the-difference-in-mshybrid-mode-and-discrete-grap...

What is MSI hybrid graphics mode?
MSI Hybrid mode will Swap Between the IGPU in the CPU and Dedicated GPU depending on what its being asked to do that is where the light on the power button goes from White (IGPU) to Red/Orange (Dedicated GPU) and if it detects a heavy load will use the Dedicated GPU and if its a light one it will use the IGPU in the CPU ...

What is the difference in MSHybrid mode and discrete graphics mode?

Just for troubleshooting purposes, enable Hybrid Graphics and see if it makes any difference.

If it doesn't then disable it again.

Does Windows Setting show both Monitors connected to each GPU in your PC?

Once you update the BIOS, CHIPSET, and enable Hybrid Graphics and it still crashes when you connect to the IGPU then I would try connecting a different monitor to the IGPU and see if it does the same thing and can you post the Make & Model of your Monitor cable that you are using to connect to your IGPU?

Have you tried connecting the Motherboard DP Video output to see if it does the same thing?

Otherwise I am out of suggestions because it sound like either some sort of driver conflict or hardware issue.

I would open a AMD SUPPORT- WARRANTY Ticket and see if they believe it might be your CPU that is defective from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Also open a MSI SUPPORT TICKET to see if they believe it might be a Motherboard issue or not.

NOTE: What happens if you just connect a monitor to your IGPU without connecting anything to your GPU card. Does it do the same thing?

Found this old Tom's Hardware thread similar to your situation: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-freezes-on-onboard-graphics-but-works-fine-when-i-use-ext...

0 Likes

Remember something else to do.

Download OCCT and run all three tests CPU, GPU, and PSU. See if any of the test fails or you see either your CPU or GPU overheating or bad PSU Outputs while running the tests.

According to the Tom's Hardware old thread it was the APU overheating causing the issue thus the reason to run OCCT.

0 Likes

Windows manager did not show any errors and said that the two different graphics were working perfectly.  

When I plug in the hdmi to the motherbord the screen displaying the graphics card will first minimize itself and turn gray and the screen plugged into the cpu will show a minimized version of the windows home screen. 

I tried updating bios and chipset with no luck. 

I dont think it is a hdmi cord problem's because i have used two different hdmi cords. 

all the monitor cable says is " high speed hdmi cable E321011 AWM 20276 80 degrees Celsius 30v VW-1 LUXSHARE-ICT" 

I enabled hybrid graphics which did nothing and, also did try to plug a dpi cord to my monitor and it still crashed.

and yes if i connect just the igpu to the the monitor it will freeze also. 

Note: just recently when i connected both the igpu and dedicated gpu, the one with the gpu actually tried to hold on. AT first it minimized the screen and then went back to normal and i thought it was fine. Next the same screen showed a warning with amd saying there was a driver timeout and then the screen minimized and went gray. the other screen plugged into the igpu kept displaying a minimzed screen of windows home with missing apps. 

When you are telling me to check if both monitors are connected im unable to do so because my whole computer seizes up and i have no control form both the gpu and igpu. 

You also told me to run occt which i did, and everything seemed to go fine the i gpu was at a 100% usage and only at 50 celsius. I only ran the program for like 10min so if you think i didnt run it long enough let me know. The funniest thing is i think the apu seemed to stay the coolest out of all of them. the gpu reached temps of 50, while the cpu got up to 95. ( all in Celsius). the program said it found no errors. You also said to test the power supply and i'm unsure how to do that. 

0 Likes

Honestly it is beginning to sound like a hardware issue to me. I might be wrong but I suggest you open to Support tickets:

1- AMD Support - Warranty with the link I posted previously

2- MSI Support to see if they believe it might be a motherboard problem.

Since it happens with only your IGPU it could be a defective processor or defective Motherboard video outputs.

Possibly it could be a defective processor but the best way to test that is by installing your processor on another PC or another similar processor in your PC and see if the problem occurs again.

Running OCCT PSU TEST means that OCCT Will running at the same time the CPU and GPU Tests to put the maximum power to the PSU.

Just need to click on the PSU Test to get it running.

By the way 10 minutes is good enough to determine if your CPU or GPU is overheating or not.

0 Likes

Thanks for all the help , but i don't really have the money to buy a new processor to test it out, so i just have to wait for a response from amd or msi. 

You can always take your processor to a local computer shop and have them install in on test motherboard to see if it works or not. Make sure to ask how much they will charge first. It might to expensive.

Or see if a friend or family has a motherboard that supports your processor and ask them if you can install your processor to check it out.

Please post back any Support replies if they mentioned they believe it might be a hardware issue.

Thanks.

0 Likes

I have exactly the same problem. The embedded graphics driver goes into timeouts and the screen becomes grey. Only the dedicated RTX 1070 works. Did you find a solution or what have you done with your components?

0 Likes