cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

brakespear
Adept II

Ryzen 7 5800x no display, keyboard or mouse

Have just purchased a new Ryzen 7 5800x to replace my current Ryzen 5 5500.

Also purchased a DeepCool AK400 Digital cooler to replace the stock Wraith on the current CPU.

Installation seemed to go OK but when booting the system the cooler fan spins, the gfx card fans spin and all the case fans start but there is no signal going to monitor (via DisplayPort on RX7600X), and no initialisation of keyboard or mouse (can tell as the RGB comes on during boot sequence).

Have tried removing all peripherals and rebooting but still no joy, also removed BIOS battery for a few minutes but no good there either.

Reinserted old CPU and Windows started after a bit - checked BIOS and was already AMI BIOS v17e but latest was listed as V17 (15/02/2024) so flashed to see if that would help but after reinserting 5800x same issue occurred.

I do know it can take a while for the system to wholly start up after a CPU is changeed so I did leave it five minutes before switching off again. I guess it will probably be a return to vendor but is there anything obvious I'm missing.

Mainboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 running AMI BIOS v17

0 Likes
13 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

brakespear, if you did not install a fresh copy of Windows, please do. Did you flash the BIOS to one your MB vendor says supports 5800X? Enjoy, John.

Hi John,

According to Gigabytes website teh Aorus Elite AX V2 has supported the 5800X since BIOS version F10 so it should be compatible.

At what point should I do a fresh install of WIndows? After flashing the BIOS?

0 Likes

As you are getting no POST with the 5800X installed, and you've ensured the BIOS is up to date and reset the BIOS by removing the battery (you also had the power supply unplugged right?) as well as disconnected non-essential hardware, it would seem to be a CPU issue. The only other thing I would suggest that you did not list is to remove all but one DIMM of memory, and of course examine the CPU pins to ensure none are bent or missing and the processor is aligned correctly in the socket. It is a shame motherboard manufacturers have omitted debug LEDs/displays from many of their boards.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

completely agree regarding the lack of debug nowadays. Will try one more time with just one DIMM inserted (too late here now so will have to wait until morning) and see if that helps, thanks.

0 Likes
brakespear
Adept II

Have tried reinserting 5800x and booting with only one DIMM inserted but the problem remains - have noted that when powering up the PC the fans on the case spin up like normal, then stop again after a short period (also as normal) but then start up again so looks maybe like whatever is supposed to be initialising the next part of POST just keeps restarting? Also tried using HDMI rather than DisplayPort  and resetting BIOS via battery again but no success so think will be RMAing to Amazon later today.

0 Likes

brakespear, I think you should talk to AMD about an RMA of your processor. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
brakespear
Adept II

so I RMA'd the 5800x and got a 5700x3d instead but with exactly the same issue, fans start, all case lights on, GPU fans spin up, then stop then start again. Is there some setting I should have on in BIOS that would stop Ryzen 7 CPUs working? It can't be power related from POST can it?

0 Likes

ok, tried moving the GPU to the lower pcie slot and CPU posts so presuming it is a power supply issue after all. Guess the 750w PSU I have is not maybe all it's cracked up to be.

0 Likes

Lol.. bit late reply but still..

First slots is usually connected to the cpu. So if its booting in another slot the cpu might have a bad mount or pins in the socket are bend.

The lower slot probably uses pcie gen3 so that would not reduce powerdraw a lot. 

Uefi/bios could also be a cause but you already tried bios-defaults. So bad mount or bad board...

0 Likes

The best way to troubleshoot a PC that doesn't get past POST is using BIOS in the following method:

1- Make sure you have the Motherboard's 8 Pin ATX_12 Power cable connected otherwise it won't boot up. From your Manual:

Screenshot 2024-03-18 120813.png

2- disconnect all hardware from your Motherboard except your PSU, CPU, and Windows Drive.

3- This step is very important. Does your PC beep when you apply power to it? If it doesn't then you will need to connect a PC Speaker to the Motherboard so that it will generate Beeps when booting up. PC Speakers are very cheap around $10.00 or less. From your Manual:

Screenshot 2024-03-19 150759.png

4- Now you are set to troubleshoot your booting issues. With just the PSU, CPU, and Windows drive connected power up the PC and listen to the BEEP CODES generated.

Found these two website that gives different Gigabyte BEEP Code for different BIOS motherboards. See which one corresponds to your Motherboard beeps:

https://www.electronicshub.org/gigabyte-motherboard-beep-codes/

Screenshot 2024-03-19 152026.png

The above one is the most common Beep codes for most Motherboards but your may be different.

https://bestofmotherboard.com/gigabyte-motherboard-beep-codes/

The above website gives more detail explanations of two different Gigabyte BEEP CODES and detail explanation on each Beep code error.

4- Power up the PC and see if BIOS indicates that your CPU passed it POST Test by the beeps. If it passed you should be hearing the Beep code for missing or defective RAM MEMORY.

5- Install one RAM Stick on the appropriate DIMM Slot in your PC. Power up the PC and now you should hear Beep code error indicating your have no GPU card installed or is defective. That means that both your CPU and RAM passed the POST Test and found no GPU installed.

NOTE: Make sure your RAM Part number is listed in your Motherboard's QVL LIST for RAM MEMORY For the Vermeer Processor or check the Manufacturer of your RAM Memory QVL List and see if your motherboard is listed or processor: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-AX-V2-rev-10/support#support-doc

The Gigabyte QVL list for Vermeer is about 2 years old so you might need to go to the RAM's Manufacturer's site to check if it is compatible or not with your motherboard.

6- Install your GPU card and connect your monitor and boot up and again listen to the Beep codes.

atmosphere
Challenger

Reset your bios and use JEDEC (so no docp/expo/xmp.

Check if you connected all of the power cables to the mobo so 20/24pins + 12V atx

brakespear
Adept II

tried resetting BIOS again (having flashed to f14 earlier just to see if that would resolve issue), xmp is already disabled, couldn't see anything specific to DOCP/EXPO on BIOS but timing/speeds have JEDEC listed against them. All plugs in and secure as far as I can see. Can boot fine through to Windows with GPU in lower lane but moving it up causes the PC to stop posting. Did notice as an aside whilst checking memory that I'd accidentally put one of the old 2400 sticks back in before so thanks for that anyway.

0 Likes
brakespear
Adept II

ok so have tried inserting my previous GPU (RX580) into the PCIEx16 slot and the system boots fine with the Ryzen 7 5700x3d in so can't be a CPU fault?

0 Likes