Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Bluerevel
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 7800x3D progressively turns hot after start up

Description of Problem:
I recently build my new PC and I noticed a weird problem during the startup process.
As soon as I turn on the PC the cpu cooling fans (I have a DeepCool lt520) starts going crazy, as soon as I log into windows to check the temperature I can see the cpu progressively raising its temperature, until I turn it off or it reaches 95 ° C and the system shuts off by itself.

Normally the problem goes away by itself after a few reboot of the system, if I enter the BIOS after the first shutdown normally the temperature stays around 30/36 ° C and from there I can restart and the problem disappears.

I also had a few long session on Dragon's Dogma 2 and the temperatures under load doesn't go over 65 ° C, so the problem is only present during the first startup and maybe 1or2 times after that, but never under load, only on idle.

Before going forward I can say that both the CPU and the cooler are properly mounted, with the proper amount of thermal paste (it was already present on the cooler) and it seems to be no problem what so ever regarding how I built it.

Troubleshooting:
I already tried to do a few thing to try to fix this problem:
- Updated BIOS to the F3 version
- Updated the chip set version to the suggest one in the motherboard page
- Uninstalled the motherboard software that let you mess around with the LEDs (because I heard it could cause problems)
- Disabled all the useless startup app
But nothing worked, I still have this problem every time I startup the PC, do you know what could cause this problem? How can I fix it? Should I return the CPU? Could be a faulty one?

Build:

GPU: RTX 3070
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800x3D
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 eagle AX
BIOS Version: F3
RAM: Corsair vengeance 32 Gb ddr5 6000 Mhz
PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ gold FULLY MODULAR
Case: Fractal Design North
Operating System: WINDOWS 11 PRO
GPU Drivers: latest
Chipset Drivers: [5.11.02.217]

0 Likes
1 Reply

Logically speaking if you had a bad or incorrectly installed CPU Cooler than your overheating issues would occur all the time under heavy loads especially.

Your processor has a very high TDP Rating of 120 watts and Maximum Operating Temperature is 89c. So once it goes over 95c it probably very close to it critical shutdown temperature to prevent Processor and hardware damage.

But it is possible you have an intermittent AIO CPU Cooler problem. 

Maybe the AIO pump gets stuck or turns very slowly causing the processor to overheat. Or the AIO Pump is not getting proper power  from the Motherboard's Pump/Fan port during a cold start. If the pump is not working correctly that would cause the AIO fans to go full speed to try and cool your processor.

Try connecting the Pump directly to a Case fan port or using an adapter directly to the PSU and see if the problem continues. If it does that would eliminate the Motherboard and possibly the PSU.

But once the AIO starts working normally it is able to prevent your Processor from overheating and making it run relatively cool.

I would open a Deepcool Warranty ticket to see if they believe you might have a defective AIO unit. 

Also I would download OCCT and run all three tests especially the PSU test and see if there are any abnormal Temperatures, Fan speeds, or PSU outputs especially the 12 vdc outputs.

But first I would open a DeepCool Warranty ticket to get their opinion if your AIO or pump is going bad.

NOTE: When it happens try tapping on top of the AIO Pump and see if the temperatures normalizes or not. If it does then you have a defective  or sticky AIO pump .

0 Likes