cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

leonsius
Adept I

Ryzen 7 3800x

Hello I bought Ryzen 7 3800x and I use it with box cooler and I don't like CPU temperature. In Default settings Intel Burn test show me 86 degree in C. then I reduce Core Voltage at 0.05 and increase fan speed and get result 77 degree in C. Is it better I

11 Replies
leonsius
Adept I

Is it better to change box cooler with AIO cooler?

0 Likes

Jumping to an AIO is not necessary. Even a smaller 3rd party air cooler will be much better. A Coolermaster 212 Evo would likely keep that CPU under 80 degrees under full load. Idle temps wold likely be in the high 30's to mid 40's. 

That cooler is about 35 bucks and is cheaper than an AIO and far less points of failure. 

0 Likes
gnoll
Adept II

Hi leonsius‌,

Generally, Ryzen CPUs run quite hot and temperatures below 95°C are acceptable, however, the hotter your CPU runs, the less it will last in the long term.

I don't have an exact value in time, as it's different for each CPU, but if you were for example to run your CPU constantly close to 95°C it would surely last less than a well-cooled CPU.

If I were to guess, you could expect a well-cooled CPU to last 14-16 years, while a CPU constantly close to the limit would probably last 10-14 years.

Probably in 10 years' time you will already have another CPU, so unless you are hitting the thermal limit or you want to overclock your computer you can avoid an AIO.

If you see that this impacts your system performance (i.e. does not boost as high) you can go for a better cooling solution, but you need to evaluate well if it suits your needs (cooling performance/noise/good-looking factor).

An AIO is generally good, but it has some flaws, like:

• There is liquid inside, if there is any leak it will soak your computer, and after some time the liquid inside will become conductive, which could damage your computer in case of a leak.
  • If you have an Air cooler you can always replace a fan for cheap, with an AIO, you have to replace everything.
  • AIO tends to be more troublesome, if the internal pump stops, for example, it's quite difficult to notice. If you have a fan on a heatsink instead it's quite easy to see if this stops.

Before you decide to get an AIO, think about the points above. There are big (and sometimes ugly) heatsinks (i.e. Noctua) that perform almost, if not as good as AIOs.

If you decide to go for a heatsink, make sure to check for the clearance of your case. You don't want to buy a tall heatsink to then see that it doesn't fit your case

szjanos21
Journeyman III

Hi, do you monitor the voltages? VDDCR is set for me on 1,45+V by default BIOS settings, while it is stable on 1,28V as well (I haven't tried any lower yet).

I still don't know what can be CPu VID in HW info, but it fluctuate between 1,0 up to 1,5V, so strange compared to previous systems.

Even monitoring software seems to be unable to track right temperatures and voltages constantly, and i don't like ryzen master (Sorry). Is there any modification you did in BIOS?

0 Likes

Hi szjanos21‌,

A 1.45 mV voltage it's quite high for Ryzen, this can be reached by PBO momentarily but I definitely wouldn't recommend keeping it this way for long, as it will deteriorate you CPU.

I have found as well that hwinfo does not report correct values (voltages/temperature) for Ryzen CPUs, unfortunately, it seems that the only reliable source of this data is Ryzen Master.

0 Likes

I think the same. Currently it is fixed 1,28V. I don't understand why the cpu is let run by the UEFI on these voltages by default settings. Maybe it can withstand this, but temps are definetly better since Vcore is lowered, and why let it eat more than required?

0 Likes
leonsius
Adept I

Thank you for response

I reduce the voltage by the offset -0.1 and now temp is normal. IntelBurn test it's not up then 75 degree

and in Gaming sometimes it's up 60 but normal it's temp is 50-55 degree. I think it's  acceptable.

what about frequency? IntelBurn test it's not up then 4200

but working process it's close to 4500. I don't Know why it is less in IntelBurn test

At this moment I don't think to buy aftermarket cooler

One more thing In Idle CPU temp is 40-50 degree in every temp measure software only RyzenMaster show me 38-40 degree. Is RyzenMaste reliable?

0 Likes

Hi leonsius‌,

The temperature reported by Ryzen master is closer to the actual reading, and I regard it as the most reliable one.

The reported temperature by other software (i.e. hwinfo) is sometimes up to 10 degrees higher.

0 Likes
skawzy
Journeyman III

bought Ryzen 7 3700x a week ago, and not use the box cooler. I bought a new cooler Pure Rock 2 Black (be quiet), it's amazing cooler! By default the cooler speed is set to "Normal" It's quite really, I can't hear it and the CPU temperature is 42,44,45...50-55 degree with about 650 RPM cooler speed in "Silent / Normal" mode. This temperature is good. The maximum cooler speed for Pure Rock 2 cooler is 1500 RPM. 

I suggest you to buy Pure Rock cooler. 

0 Likes
leonsius
Adept I

Hello everyone at last I decide to buy CPU cooler and I have two choice:

1) DEEPCOOL Captain 240 RGB V2

2) be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

first one is AIO cooler and I like it visually but for me important cooling performance.

which one do you advise me?

0 Likes

Hi leonsius‌,

Unless you go for a 360mm or a custom loop you will probably have really similar cooling performances between these two, with probably the be quiet! performing better.

Said so, I recommend you go for the Dark Rock Pro 4, or in this price range you could as well look at the Noctua NH-D15

Just make sure your RAM and case clearance before buying, both of these are quite bulky (the noctua is bigger) and could be problematic to fit in a thin case or with high ram modules.

0 Likes