cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Pug
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 2700X | Best paired motherboard of choice?

Hello,

I've always used Intel processors—Currently, I'm stuffing as much power as possible in a mITX microwave.

Budget—No budget.

Crowd choice—Personal pick.

Mainly weighing value on daily usage; GPU preferred, moderate PWA, codex development, threat research, etc. over game-focused specs. Any suggestions?

:)

0 Likes
13 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Not a huge fan of this site but this looks good for mITX: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI) - PCPartPicker 

I'm a Gigabyte fan personally. If you don't care for WIFI, unplug the chip. I'm a security freak, so I tend to avoid all things WiFi when possible. This seems to have what you're looking for plus it can game, become a microwave, etc. It's got style and function plus a decent price. Asus was really expensive for nearly the same thing. With that CPU, best to not over spend since it's not going to make anything faster. The 2 X ? RAM config is perfect for mITX builds and more compatible with AMD Ryzen's. 

"It worked before you broke it!"

I see some replies here that are reasonable choices, like Asus but they can be pricey. AsRock I would avoid like the plague. MSI is a headache most of the time, didn't even look to see if anyone brought them up. I mentioned that Gigabyte B450 board because you want to run the 2700X and that chipset was made for that generation of CPU. Of course there's better in this brand and others but form/function, the loads you listed, why spend more? It's a nice middle of the road mITX. There is a plethora of choices. If you had ideas of a future CPU upgrade to a 3000-5000 series, go with a B550 or X570 chipset board. The B450 will work via BIOS update to at least the 3000 series Ryzen's.

Before I get attacked for smacking AsRock down, I ran my own business sales/service of PC's for 20+ years and most were AMD's I sold and serviced. AsRock and Biostar were the most RMA'd boards that I never installed. I can think of 8 customers off the top of my head that had AsRock or Biostar's puke. 

I made the mistake of buying an AsRock 1150 board last year for a "backup" PC I slapped together and one RAM slot burned out in a month (basic DDR3 1600). RMA and that one lost onboard video in a week. RMA again and sold it. Now, running a X570 Phantom Gaming 4S because it was on sale, total garbage. The BIOS is horrible, their customer support is beyond poor, never again. So no faith in AsRock, no matter how shiny they make them. Avoid the headache.

0 Likes

Totally agree on the AsRock or Biostar,not 2 I would ever pick,Had a Gigabyte years ago,was fine,But been with ASUS for years and have yet to have an issue,currently on the X470 Crosshair VII Hero with a 2700X,Rock Solid.

ASRock seem to be doing lots to improve their AMD GPUs and Motherboards.
Specifically selected that ASRock motherboard for Thunderbolt3 Integration.

Review of the Board is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVarwLhkQA.  
The BIOS looks fine to me with similar options to ASUS boards. 

I will let everyone know if I hit any problems with the board.

0 Likes

One problem that AsRock keeps messing up the most is power delivery. Using the same, lame VRM over and over again from lesser board quality all the way to the X570. A friend tried running a 3950X on the X570 Phantom Gaming 4 and the VRM was not up to the task under sustained load. It's a 6+1 phase, low quality design compared to Gigabyte's or Asus's 12+2 on their mid-range to premium boards.

Even my X570 Phantom Gaming 4S built 4/6/2020 has 78% power deviation unloaded and 120% under load. The BIOS is missing nice things like undervolt offset settings for the CPU, LLC, some basic elements for a board claiming to be a "gaming" board. It has bad IF splits that don't match popular RAM speeds, few XMP/DOCP profiles, poor overclocking in general. 3 pages with the same settings worded different. 3 out of 5 BIOS updates actually work that they released this year. Sorry but trash. Then they take it off sale for a month and try selling it at $239. Fat chance, it's at $139 right now. 

A select few people support them. Reviews I watch show the high failure, poor quality of AsRock.  3 electronic engineers at Level 1 Tech agree and made a table of all the boards with poor VRM's, AsRock is on that list for a few years. Not one board from them passed above mediocre. 

None of this matters. OP asked a simple question of which boards might suit OP's needs for a very specific application and workload using a certain CPU and motherboard type. So a reliable mITX for a Ryzen 2700X for light gaming and mostly work, not a huge need for frills or cost. A few options/opinions but not a full scale battle of whether AsRock is worth a salt. OP hasn't asked specifically about that brand so far. I do know for sure that I would not stuff an Asrock mITX into a tight case and expect longevity or a smooth build for any customer of mine. My bad for falling for a sale and trying to save $50.

0 Likes

RE:  A few options/opinions but not a full scale battle of whether AsRock is worth a salt.
You are the one posting walls of text about your gripes with ASRock. 

All manufacturers make motherboards with with some problem or other. 
That includes ASUS and Gigabyte boards. 
Watch and read reviews before purchase then you might not be so unhappy. 

As for Level1Techs, here is their review of a "reliable mITX for a Ryzen 2700X 3700X" 

ASRock x570 ITX/TB & NZXT H2101i Build Video -- Ryzen & Thunderbolt Together
https://youtu.be/i5u1wQ8rZ8Y?t=960

0 Likes

Here is someone happy and running a 3950X on that ASRock X570/TB3 board: 

"After watching Wendel’s TB3 video on AM4 I decided to get the Asrock ITX board and a 3950x.

The board is great and the cpu can do 4.3 stable on 1.3v with temps on VRM’s mid 60s and CPU high 70s under full in Adobe Media Encoder."

Reference: 
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/x570-phantom-gaming-itx-tb3-waterblock-compatibility/151458

0 Likes

I am starting  PC Build with one of these: 
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp
Too early to give feedback about it though. 

0 Likes

I am using gigabit for years and so far I have any problems with it . It is cheap and it doing it job if you want to over clock things then pick better motherboards but if you just want to play game without overcooking gigabit is good . 

0 Likes

It would be a much better idea to purchase a Ryzen 3000 series processor such as a R7 3700X rather than Zen+ R7 2700X CPU. 
Memory controller design on Ryzen 3000 series is much better and you will have much less chance of memory compatibility problems and will likely achieve faster memory speeds with Zen3.

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

OP states "Ryzen 2700X" meaning OP must be using that CPU. Sure OP would be better served with a 3000 series and an X570 board. I still say stay away from AsRock no matter. OP asks about GPU with moderate PWA as well. "No budget" too.

But if money weren't an option this would be optimal without getting crazy with a $700 3950X, but they have that in stock. They just sold the last 5800X a minute ago. As one can see the build goes into the lower $1k+ area. mITX cost more to build in an X570/Ryzen 3 platform. That RAM is one of the best but unfortunately "red" was available in that brand CL16. There's options to bring it closer to the $900 mark. They have a few better GPU's in stock but the cost is much higher. The power supply could also be a better brand/grade and cost about $60 more.

If OP literally built this, it would be more than adequate power for work, games, entertainment, remain pretty silent and be rock solid for a long time. Mind this is one vendor obviously. An example of a very solid X570 setup on could buy this stuff and be up and running in a little over an hour. This same stuff can be used with the 2700x as well.

I'm not going to address the AsRock comments as it's "bait" for someone's personal beef.

Board: ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming AM4 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 580 GAMING 8G Graphics Card - Newegg.com

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU Processor - Newegg.com

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4R (RED...

Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Black Silent Mini ITX Mini Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100x Water 240mm CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5 650W, Fully Modular Power Supply - Newegg.com

@Pug wrote:

Hello,

I've always used Intel processors—Currently, I'm stuffing as much power as possible in a mITX microwave.

Budget—No budget.

Crowd choice—Personal pick.

Mainly weighing value on daily usage; GPU preferred, moderate PWA, codex development, threat research, etc. over game-focused specs. Any suggestions?

:)

0 Likes