cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Henrik2k
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Hello everyone.,

Im a Intel long term user since 30 years and when I saw all amazing scores of 5950x using PBO it was time to move over to AMD.

Now I've waited for 3 weeks to finally get all hardware and I built a monster with custom water loop (what a waste of expensive cooling as it cant be used for 5950 oc) to keep it cold and stable OC using PBO as thats where this cpu shines.

Asus Crosshair Vii Hero x570
G.Skill 64 GB 4x16 3600 14 15 15 15  
be quiet! straight power 11 platinum 850W

So Ive read every single guide and video how to do this properly and started with low negative underclock curve to get the boost needed, and slowly moved up, Ended up in crashing in every single setting from -30 to +5 on the specific Core that crashes. I ended up in restricting more and more settings and ended up in all auto and low speeds, still crashes no matter what, its a complete waste of all those settings as all they do is crash the computer without any OC using PBO. This is the common one:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 29   <---- this being the actual core that cause the crash, in my case 30 or 29   9/10 times No matter what I adjust these cores to they still crash from manual -30  + 10 or auto.

Ive tried every single suggestion on this 78 page thread and disabled C state idle, and all kind of stuff,

Ive tried downclock memory and losen timings.

The final conclusion is, just like all you guys, PBO is broken on AMD, its totally broken and doesnt work sadly, you are lucky if you can run a few days, but sooner or later it Blue screen with any of the cores killing the stability. 
And whats shocking is that it should be a SUPER EASY fix for AMD as its not when I go high and stress it and crash thats when its to much OC; but its when im doing NOTHING, idle, or watching a youtube clip at most, just like many other says too, after full stress for hours its rock solid as soon as I stop that, and it goes back to idle it can crash within 1 min to 20 hours.

Outrageous, I wish I found this thread before I bought AMD for the first time, as I see this have been an issue for a year !?!?!?!

And no response from AMD.

So the only options are either run stock, disable PBO and have half decent performance, or do a traditional all core multiplayer increase  with a few 100mhz depending on cooling , or go back to Intel.

Have to say im very disappointing, and this was the first time for 30 years I moved from Intel to AMD and heavily regret it as their selling point for awesome performance doesnt work and seems to been broken since they released still. And even more sad, not a single word from AMD on this problem that affects everyone that want to use PBO.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Does the system work with PBO turned off and RAM set to the default speed and timings?

0 Likes
Henrik2k
Adept I

Jump to solution

Yes, it works fine with stock cpu settings with stock ram or XMP settings and PBO disabled.

As soon as I enable PBO it gets the WHEA ID 18 CORE crashes within minutes to hours. No matter what setting and ive tried hundreds for days.

0 Likes
Henrik2k
Adept I

Jump to solution

Question is if anyone have a 100% stable PBO setup. I doubt it when doing research on this topic,. As Ive seen PBO users are fine with semi stability and seems to be ok with either a crash every now and then or disable things to get it stock to make it stable.

Ive read a lot of guides and introductions to PBO showcases from AMD users and AMD them self and they end up in saying that the tricky part is to test stability as its unstable when idle and ending with the words AMD should improve the algorithm to improve stability. This tells me its not fully stable and never been, and wont be until PBO algorithm is fixed. AMD should have a whole team on this since day one, since its seem to pull them straight down from the lead over Intel and more and more people are going back to intel, or like in my case, got hurt from first bad experience using AMD. 

Im on stock settings now, and everything is rock solid and ive build a super cooling rig to try to get some good performance using PBO which is broken sadly.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

I have a setup that is 100% stable using PBO and a 5950X.

What i did with my setup, was enable PBO and then set the PPT/TDC/EDC parameters manually.  Normally these are set to 142W/95A/140A for a 105W processor when PBO is disabled.  When you turn on PBO, the only thing that changes is that those values are set to the motherboard levels.  Often, the motherboard limits are something ridiculous that you will never hit due to voltage constraints or temps anyway.  We have even had users who reported ASUS motherboards where the motherboard max TDC was higher than the EDC.  

If you aren't familiar, the TDC is maximum sustained amperage that is allowed through the VRMs, while the EDC is the transient boost amperage.  Having a sustained amperage higher than the boost amperage makes no sense, and can lead to all kinds of problems.

So what I did was install Ryzen Master on my PC with the latest chipset driver.  Turn on PBO and boot the system.  In ryzen master you can then see what your PPT/TDC/EDC limits are.  These are your board limits and the limits you should not exceed.  

Back in UEFI, set the PPT/TDC/EDC to 142/95/140, scalar 1X, no clock boost.  This setting should perform identically to PBO off.  Now slowly raise those settings until you are happy with the temps under load, the voltages, or start to see errors again.  I wound up at 215W/140A/160A on my 5950X.  I didn't encounter any errors here, but the chip was at 1.3V on an all core load and around 70C.  Raising the limits higher just rapidly increased the temps without any real boost in performance.  

After I had the limits set, then I added a core overclock of +100 and played around with the curve optimizer.  But I really got my wattage/amperage limits set first.

Give it a shot.  I feel just allowing the motherboard limits can be problematic sometimes. 

0 Likes
TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Jump to solution

Hi!

In my case for now, replace Mobo/PSU and with 5900x same issue, but i think is a GPU problem. The issue is similar with reboot and WHEA error.  Ihave this crash from 5800x but this CPU work fine in other mobo. 5900x pass al test in this moment.  Only need a few days to check the GPU in other system

0 Likes
Henrik2k
Adept I

Jump to solution

I did this manually and started at default 142 95 140  then Ive tried everything in between this and as many suggest on forums 200 200 150 and various other combinations, then ive tried 0-150mhz boost, ive tried from 0 to -30 to +5 in demanding cores (best cores) and evrything in between insane amount of testing with each step 5 at the time.

Ive tried auto V core and ivce tried 1-20-1.35

Ive tried all power savings idle c state etc.

Ive tried every single setting, it still crashes as soon as PBO is enabled no matter what settings.

Scalar ive tried auto and 1-10

ive used Ryzen master to check the numbers and ive tried it as well manually, but it doesnt control curve optimizer so cant do it there. thats what im doing in bios.

I tried follow this proper guide as well for PBO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5qLJqTSAc&t=1297s used their settings and tried to make it remain stable on any setting without success. 
Does anyone following this guide get anywhere stability with such PBO boost? Cause I sure dont even with insane cooling system.

Every guide ive followed are around 200 200 150

Ive also tried lower ram to 3200 and the stock 3600 with lose timins with less and more vram

Ive reset bios tried diff versions and redo the settings.

I simply cant gain any performance on this chip like everyone else in this long thread, and Ive gone through every page to see if someone finds a solution to make PBO stable at some boost performance, but Ive only seen everyone come back with no it crashed with this new setting sadly. Looks like the CPU is already maxed out and there is no real room for OC in any forms other than minor.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

I'm not sure why they would be advising 200/200/150.

First off a PPT of 200W will be your limiting factor.  That is about what I hit with a TDC of 140.  Furthermore, setting EDC lower than TDC makes no sense at all.  Why would the short term boost amperage be lower than the sustained amperage?  200/150/200 would make more sense as that isn't too far off the PPT=215W, TDC=140A and EDC=160 amps that I tried.

"Ive tried every single setting, it still crashes as soon as PBO is enabled no matter what settings."\

So even if PBO is at 142/95/140 it crashes?  Make sure the PPT is 142, the TDC is 95 and the EDC is 140.  If it crashes there and not with PBO disabled that is interesting as the two should be exactly the same.

0 Likes
Henrik2k
Adept I

Jump to solution

What do you set your negative curve to?

And do you manually set Vcore to 1.3 for all cpu?

What CPU z score do you get with 215/140/160 A ? (or cinebench R23, geekbench5 to get a score measurement) 

What do you set the Boost override CPU mzh to?

I just tried this setup and got worse score than stock settings. Havnt crashed yet, but odd its lower multi and single rate than stock using above setup you using for me.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

I didn't set the vcore manually, as doing that disables all boosting.  If you set vcore, or bclk manually it completely disables boosting and just runs in manual mode.

At 215/140/160 I observed my vcore was at 1.3V when running Cinebench R23.  I don't really want the voltage going over 1.3V on an all core load, lower threads it is okay to see 1.45 or so.  That's why I didn't keep raising the TDC, even though I probably had a little bit more thermal headroom.

Boost override is set to +100 MHz.

My curve optimizer is set to -5V for the two best cores on CCD0, and -10V for the remainder on CCD).  Everything on CCD1 is set to -15V.  Getting around 29000 in multicore with Cinebench R23.

ajlueke_0-1621602785047.png

Tags (1)
0 Likes