Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

glebamd97
Journeyman III

ryzen 5 5600x always increase frequency up to 3.6Ghz

Hi all,

my spec: gygabite b550m ds3h, ryzen 5 5600x, stock cooler, win 10, screenshot.png.

The issue is that CPU always running at 3,6Ghz when nothing happens. Task manager shows 3,6Ghz but Ryzen Master shows that only 2 core are working on 400mhz. Which is true?

My previous CPU always degrease frequency if I dont need a full perfomance.

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

glebamd97, I think the problem is in the Task Manager not Ryzen.  Ryzen Master (RM) is agreeing with the per core reading in Task Manager. We all see the same thing. RM is true, the graphs in Task Manager seems to be true but the number on the left is just plain wrong. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for information!

0 Likes

In this previous thread at Linus Tech Tips forum it mention the User solved his problem because he had his Windows Power Plan on "Performance" thus the CPU was running at a high speed all the time. When he changed to "Balanced" or "Power Saving" plan the CPU speed decrease to normal again: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1014029-cpu-stays-at-max-clock-speed-even-when-idle/

Concerning the CPU Processor state:

It is an option under Processor Power Management. By default, the Minimum Processor State is 5%, which is also the best Minimum Processor State. While the maximum processor state should be set as 100%. Only then, when processing power is needed, all the available processing resource can be used for the important task

In Windows Power Plan check to make sure your CPU Processor State is set at Lowest setting - 5% and Highest setting - 100%.

In "Performance" Power plan the Processor state is set at 100% for both low and high I believe.

0 Likes
vishvajit
Adept III

It's possible that there is an issue with the way your system is reporting the CPU frequency. The Task Manager and Ryzen Master software can sometimes show different information, depending on how they are measuring the CPU frequency.

The Ryzen Master software measures the frequency at the core level, which means it will show the frequency of each individual core. The Task Manager, on the other hand, measures the average frequency of all cores, which may be different from the frequency of a single core.

It's also possible that the CPU is running at a higher frequency due to power management settings in your system. Some systems will automatically increase the CPU frequency when the system is under heavy load, even if no applications are running.

To check this, you can go to the power plan settings and make sure that you are using the "balanced" power plan, this way the system will automatically adjust the power usage, and the CPU frequency based on the workload.

Another thing to check is if there's any process or service running in the background that's causing the CPU usage, such as software updates, anti-virus scans, or background tasks.

If the problem persists, you may want to check your BIOS settings to see if there's any option to control the CPU frequency or to disable any power management features that may be causing the issue.

It's also a good idea to check if there's any BIOS update available for your motherboard and apply it, it may solve the problem.