Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jp3024
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2600x idle clocks

Hey guys,

Just finished a build for my brother using a Ryzen 5 2600x. I noticed while at idle core clocks are spiking between ~2.2 ghz and 4.2 ghz. I've been inside the BiOS only to set the XMP for the RAM at 3200 mhz. I can audibly hear the fans spinning up and down while just sitting at Windows home screen. I've installed the latest Windows updates and this activity still persists. This is my first Ryzen build so I wanted to know if this is normal or does some tweaking need to be done with fan curves, voltages, etc... Thanks.

Build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

Cooler: Stock AMD Wraith Spire

RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Wifi

PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 650W 80+ Gold

SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hey,

That's normal, windows regulates the CPU clock speeds and when it get's warmer the MB regulates the fan speed according to heat.

If you think the fan speed going up and down is anoying you could make a custom fan curve with larger temperature/fan speed scaling.

I have the same CPU but I use it in a gaming computer, I just set windows to highest performance and let all fans run full speed via the bios. The noise does not bother me and constant voltage and frequency switching is not a advantage I think. With me the CPU runs around 4.2 Ghz the whole time or it lowers the frequency when under extreme use like Prime95.

The auto settings are great for desktop use and such but not for a gaming rig I think, well it's also my personal opinion.

Have a happy new year !

Sebastian

0 Likes

I had a sneaking suspicion it was, just the curious (slightly worried) side of me haha.

Thanks for the help, happy new year!

0 Likes
el_arantis
Adept III

Select Windows Balanced Power Profile, not the AMD Ryzen one.

That will "calm" your cpu's behavior.

0 Likes