cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tuyguy98
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3700x is way too hot

Hi all, I recently upgraded my system with a ryzen 3700x.  However upon booting up, the cpu has been idling around 55-65 degrees c which in my opinion is way too hot.  When i stress test it, it goes up into the high 70s and low 80s which is also really hotter than i would like.  As for a cooler, i am using the included wraith prism along with some corsair thermal paste.  anyone experiencing problems like this? or have found a solution to it?

Thanks for your time!!!pastedImage_1.png

89 Replies

Need a help !

SPECS :

RYZEN 7 3700X 

ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO(WIFI)

16GB TRIDENT Z NEO 3600MHz
BYKSKI NEON AIO 240MM

Ambient temp 26C idle at 48-58C with stock setting max 1.5V Core Voltage CPU Voltage. Running CB20 reach 90C. Now im on OC mode 4.2GHz all core,disable PBO and downvolt 1.2V max temp on CB20 around 80C and idle at 44-51C. Trying to OC to 4.3GHz with 1.35V Core Voltage but on stress test,it go way too high and even reach 100C after 15mins. Already reapplied thermal paste but still the same. Gives me headache. I really need help. Should i get a CPU replacement? Thank you. r.PNG

0 Likes

your temps are already too high without oc , why do you still want to oc ... first solve the temps problem, with a regular two fans AIO , you should be max at 75-80° with CB20 , so you are certainly missing something

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for your reply

Actually i did not plan to OC but when i check the core voltage maxed out to 1.5V and the temps are insanely high even idling makes me wonder what is the actual cause of it. 

1. Default setting+DOCP 3600MHz+FC 1800MHz= 84C  CB20 SCORE=4613

2. 4.2GHz@1.2V+DOCP 3600MHz+FC 1800MHz+SOC VOLTAGE 1.2+DRAM VOLTAGE 1.35+ CLDO VDDG 1.0= 77C CB20 SCORE=4887

TEMP VS SCORE
4887-4613
77C-84C

This is the reason why i set CPU ratio@42.0. it is because of the temps.
Did try 4.3Ghz@1.35V=95C CB20 SCORE=5001

What i did miss? I'm kinda new in overclocking. Thanks in advance for everything. 

r5.PNG

If all preset are default except i tweaked Fabric clock 1800Mhz and DOCP 3600MHz the temperature will reach 84C
r2.PNGr4.PNG

0 Likes

1.5V at idle is absolutely normal it's a question on intensity not voltage,  on load you should be at 1.3V more or less

you have 84° at default settings , on stress , so everything seems ok

you can try to gain some degrees with a negative offset voltage on cpu, but you will loose some point at CB (but nothing visible in games for example)

try -0,1V , then if crash at any time,  try -0.075V , -0.05... etc ...

so you see : trying 4.3 with 1.35 , is surely going to be hotter then default setting that already are OC values , because ryzen doing auto OC (base freq is 3.9 or 3.8Ghz don't remember)

0 Likes

xlox‌ thanks for the info. will try to do it later. maybe i should consider custom watercooling because of high ambient temps. 

One more thing. Is Prime95 stress test could be the best method to determine the stability? or there is other software that are more reliable?

Thanks. Cheers

0 Likes

Hi , i use OCCT software, for 24h/7 OC i used to test with 8h running occt but, i don't need to do it anymore with ryzen cause I know the gain won't worth it as it's well maximised , so that's a lot of time gained too

0 Likes
naman_4130
Adept I

I got scarier temps, so I left my pc running a FOLDING@HOME process that locks the CPU to 100% usage if you set the software to use your PC's 'full' power. it was already very hot when the process ran for like 5 min (around 85C) but what is concerning is the fact that it shot up to 95C in around 45 mins. Ambient temps are around 30C

I have a stock cooler i. e. wraith prism 

MOBO: MSI x570 gaming pro carbon wifi

BIOS has been updated to the latest version as well as the chipset drivers.

Here are the settings I have turned on in the BIOS.

GLOBAL C state is enabled

CPPC >> enabled

CPPC preffered cores >> enabled

PBO >> enabled

AMD cool'n'quiet >> ON

RAM : 16x2 running AXMP @3200mhz

0 Likes
jennyvi
Journeyman III

this discussion is very informative, thanks for all the information.

General Virtual Assistant Services | 

0 Likes
freckledcurve_41
Journeyman III

Hey I was having similar problems and I found this video. The moment I did this my temps and fan noise immediately improved. Im downloading dark souls III from steam and listening to some lofi in the background and my temps are between 30c and 40c but will occasionally jump to a high 40c or high 50c. using stock wraith prism cooler and working with a 3700x.   I set my min processor power to 20% and max to 90%. Please let me know if there are side effects from doing this. 

wraith prism cooler - Bing video 

Hey, thanks for the input, I tested what was shown in the video but as soon as I dropped the min and max processor state (from 100% and 100% respectively to 20% and 99% respectively), the processor didn't boost above 3.5ghz which means a significant hit to the performance, this was confirmed by a run of Cinebench R20 when I scored 500pts less after making the aforementioned adjustments in the power options. If you can, then please check the clock speeds and benchmark scores after making the adjustments. Also, you didn't mention your ambient temps but even then 40c to high 50c seems normal IMO. Mine runs at around 60C with light workloads (Chrome, google drive sync syncing data from 3 google drive accounts, dropbox, antivirus, 2-3 other light foreground apps) and the ambient temps are around 30C at my place. What grinds my gears is when the CPU goes under continuous full load (for eg when I run folding@home) it reaches temps above 90C on wraith prism. Lastly, I have PBO active from Ryzen Master.

0 Likes