Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ez-unit01
Adept I

Random onset CPU under performing issues

Hello everyone,

I recently got an Asus Tuf A16 laptop that comes with the Ryzen 7735HS processor and Rx 7600s gpu.

Randomly out of no where when I tried turning on the laptop it did not turn on. I did the recommended holding of power button for 45 seconds with cable plugged, then unplugged and held for 5 more seconds and the laptop did turn back on.

After turning on however, the processor was capped at ~390 Mhz on all cores.

Here is a screenshot from Open Hardware Monitor:

ezunit01_0-1716764071424.png

I did try to flash my Bios both through the windows utility that Asus provides and also through the bios itself. It did not help. I removed the AMD drivers using the dedicated uninstaller from the website and reinstalled the latest adrenaline version.

So far nothing has managed to solve the under-performing of the CPU.

I got the laptop refurbished and it had no issues for 2 months until this randomly happened.

Is there any advice you could give me about this situation?

I thank in advance to everyone who takes their time to read the post this far!

Take care and be well!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

I don't know why but it is just today that I received a notification for your reply.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to describe potential solutions, I just sent the laptop back on Wednesday claiming defects as asus customer support just said "bring it for service"

I think modern laptops are all defective in one way or another as I read some reviews on different brands like Lenovo, HP, Dell, Acer and etc. They all seem to be having simillar issues. Some overheat, some are factory-under powered and with janky bios settings. Seems like the days of "just works out of the box" are gone.

Thankfully there are SFF options these days easing the portability.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Balrogos
Adept III

Overall i would say contact with manufacturer so the ASUS, 

1. What are CPU temps

2. Can you provide Windows Power Management Settings (it can be that current power profile is asus or some bug get into and prevent cpu to boost more, also try switching power profile to anything else beside power saving, did you test laptop on power cable and also the battery alone?)

3. And can u provide photos of in bios cpu settings? and/or bios power settings. 

4. Did you try installing chipset driver from asus?

5. Did u try amd offical chipset drivers aswell?

0 Likes

1. Before this issue happened CPU was running around 70-80 C most of the time, it did reach 95, however the fans immediately kicked in full speed and manage to keep it around 80 C.

2. Windows was on the performance power profile. I removed Asus software as it was bugging out the power settings and causing massive issues.

3. The bios is an Asus bios and is very limited, no CPU options are even visible besides the current temperature and fan speed. From Open Hardware Monitor I see that it reads 5W total power to the CPU but if I remember right it was rated as a 35W CPU that can go up to 45W to perform better.

4. I did reinstall whatever I could find on AMD website including what they call "Adrenaline" drivers and chipset drivers. I used the AMD provided uninstalling tools for a clean removal first.

5. Chipset drivers from Asus did not work either.

I will have a chat with Asus today but I've seen other people mentioning that Asus was not particularly helpful and always wanted to shill warranty (like planned obsolescence).

PS: I just tried to boot in safe mode and the CPU seems to work fine (around 3.20GHz).

0 Likes

Try maybe download QuickCPU x64 and check your power profile in basic window u can check the sliders and power. In powerplan settings u can try diffirent build in powerplan settings as well but first u need make them active. 

Balrogos_0-1716904237095.png

Unfortunatley ASUS past through 10 years become very bad company i dont use ASUS parts since 2014 both for myself or for other people to many problems and bad quality. 

For me it really look like powerplan options a lot of laptops dont actualy hard shutdown but hibernate or go to sleep how it is with your laptop?

Try this to disable hibernation: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/108391-add-remove-hibernate-after-power-options-windows.html

I read some internet and some other ppl have same problem with same model laptop and also TUF 15 it might be also power profile in bios/uefi which limits it. 

Otherwise try contacting asus support. 

0 Likes

Hello,

I don't know why but it is just today that I received a notification for your reply.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to describe potential solutions, I just sent the laptop back on Wednesday claiming defects as asus customer support just said "bring it for service"

I think modern laptops are all defective in one way or another as I read some reviews on different brands like Lenovo, HP, Dell, Acer and etc. They all seem to be having simillar issues. Some overheat, some are factory-under powered and with janky bios settings. Seems like the days of "just works out of the box" are gone.

Thankfully there are SFF options these days easing the portability.