cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

YourLocalCow
Journeyman III

Random Decrease In Performance, CPU Bottlenecking?

As of recently, my pc has been performing at a lower rate than normal.
I've tried some things to attempt to help but nothing has worked so far.
The problems I've been running into are as so.

PC struggling to maintain max fps (165) on generally low demanding games.

PC lagging a lot of a specific game that I could run fine just the day before.

Graphics card temperature struggling to stay at lower numbers, and has been generally higher on all games than before.

So as recently, my junction temperature on my graphics card has been at a unusual high reaching 90 C at some points, and my games have been running worse overall. I used Xbox game bar and MSI afterburn to see the usage of my CPU in comparance to my GPU, and in all games my GPU sits at around 95-100%, while my CPU never exceeds 20%. I used afterburn to check the individual temperatures, and while running a high demanding game, ARK Survival Evolved, my GPU was sitting at around 80 C, while my CPU was only at around 35-40 C. 
I thought that it might be a bottlenecking problem, but my CPU and GPU should be very compatible. My CPU and GPU:

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

Intel Core i7-12700K

That's pretty much all I have to say, if anyone could help diagnose this or even help solve this it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Reply

First thing is your RX6800XT wasn't overheating. The Maximum Operating Temperature is 110c for the Hot Spot of the GPU card. After that it would start to throttle to cool down.

So if the max temperature is 90c you are well within the 110c range. Plus the temperature of the GPU card is affected by various factors like Internal Air Circulation in the PC case, Age of the GPU card, Ambient Room Temperature, dirty PC case or GPU heatsink/fans, etc.

If you want to get a general idea if either your CPU or GPU is bottlenecking go to this FPS & Bottlenecking website and input your CPU, GPU, and RAM data: FPS & Bottleneck Calculator 

The above link will also show you the FPS in various games.