cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

xxmobius1xx
Journeyman III

R9 5900X on Asus X570 Hero VIII

So I have a weird issue, now I do not think it's the 5900x, it's 100% stable but you never know.

I have tried 2 boards from Asus, the B550m plus, and the X570 hero VIII, both have the same issue.

This issue is this, when ram occupy DIMM sockets 1/3 the boards will fail to post with ram set to DOHCP 3600 speeds ( or manually set as well even with voltage adjustments on SOC/ ram/ VRM line load ) it will run the ram at default JDEC speeds with no issue and completely stable. 

When the RAM occupies DIMM sockets 2/4 it will run DOHCP 3600 speeds with no stability issues. I am thinking it's a bios issue, but I figured I will see what the community thinks.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Slots 2 & 4 (counting from cpu socket) are the standard 2 dimm setup.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

hmm that is new to me, been building since 96 and built nearly every generation of hardware, 1/3 was always the go to. Weird how that changed, but then why would it be fine for the first gen Ryzen? What changed?

0 Likes

Read the motherboard manual.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
xxmobius1xx
Journeyman III

0 Likes

It is possible they moved the main DIMM Slots from 1 & 3  to 2 & 4 is due that DIMM Slot 1 is closest to the CPU and since many Air CPU Coolers are so large, many sometimes extends slight over the DIMM slot 1.

But then again that is just a guess. Maybe it was for technical reasons concerning the CPU and Mobo.

But I would think it should still boot up if you populate Dimm Slots 1 & 3 in Default settings without DOCP enabled.

I have an Asus Motherboard and when I used DOCP before a BIOS update it wouldn't boot up and BIOS would reset my RAM back to SPD speed. But if I did it manually in BIOS via a drop-down Menu with various RAM Speeds it works fine.

After updating my BIOS I was unable to locate DOCP . But it could be in a subset of BIOS settings.

NOTE: Forgot to mention, Is your RAM Memory listed in your Motherboard's QVL List for the 5000 series processor?

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Each board manufacturer is different so look at your mb manual to know for sure.  I came from an Intel build to this 5950x - x570 and I stuck them in the wrong slots at first.

0 Likes