• CPU: Ryzen 9 7950X
  • PSU: Corsair HX 1200
  • Memory: Gskill Flare X5 F5-5600J3636D32GX2-FX5
  • Motherboard: ASRock x670E Taichi
  • Local Drive: Samsung 960 EVO
  • Graphics Card: Onboard, no card attached to motherboard
  • Apple SSD SM0512F connected through PCIE through converter
  • WDC WD1502FAEX-007BA0 HDD

I keep getting constant errors which stop the display for a few seconds. The monitor turns off for a few seconds, then it turns back on only to repeat after a while, generally depending on what I do(watch video, read some text, edit some text, browse a web page, etc.) It can happen anytime with any application. This sometimes leaves a trace at Windows event viewer(Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.), but most of the time doesn't even leave a trace. And worse part is, sometimes screen artifacts form on the screen, and anything I do to change the display(move mouse, type something, etc.) creates more artifacts. Only a restart solves the screen artifacts issue. After the restart, everything repeats again. BIOS screen doesn't have any such error. It only happens on Windows.

I have tried to use USB-C and HDMI ports, different cables, disabled HDR on monitor, decreased refresh rate of the monitor, did clean graphics driver installation with different driver versions, reinstalled Windows, disabled EXPO profile, reseated CPU and memory sticks, tried with one stick, memtest, etc. to no avail. When I downgrade to ASRock BIOS 1.07, the screen artifacts do not form. Display driver timing out still happens without any trace at Windows Event Viewer, but it happens much less often(once every 5-6 hours).

I tried ASRock BIOS 1.18, released today, but issues repeat. ASRock support recommended me to exchange the CPU and MOBO. I would say it is BIOS of ASRock that is faulty but even with 1.07, the display driver timeout happens from time to time. So I suspect the CPU more. Unfortunately I can not try the MOBO or CPU on another PC. I am curious if anybody else faced the same problem. Is this a faulty CPU. MOBO or both?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ynr
Adept II

The replacement CPU seems to work. I have tried it for a few hours, and there have been no issues so far. I will post an update if there will be any issues with it.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

ynr, where did you get the driver for the iGPU? If not here, please get the latest and download nothing but BIOS from the MB vendor. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks for replying. I got it from the AMD website. I tried from ASRock as well, since running out of options But the outcome is the same. Every driver I tried causes the issues I mentioned.

0 Likes

ynr, please post the link where DLed your driver, Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Sorry, ynr, I am not familiar with that source. Please try here and let me know if they are the same. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

This is actually the same location. I just need to choose 'Processors with Graphics' instead of 'Graphics'. Afterwards, when I choose Ryzen 7950X, it takes me to the link I provided.

Update: If I make the computer go to sleep when there are screen artifacts and wake the computer up, the artifacts disappear. Of course they will be back after a few minutes, but still, they are temporarily gone after sleep. I don't know what to make of it. Replace all CPU, Mobo and Memory Sticks?

0 Likes

Screenshot attached.

ynr_1-1677886353500.png

0 Likes

Sorry, ynr. Please open a support request here. Also open a request with your MB vendor. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I will do so and will report a solution when I find it. Thanks John!

0 Likes
ynr
Adept II

Update:

Since my last comment, I got a replacement for ASRock x670e Taichi. I also got an ASUS Proart x670e Creator Wifi. Got replacement memory sticks and bought a Trident Z5 Neo Stick. I tried their different combinations and the same error repeats. When I uninstall AMD drivers and default to Windows drivers, it doesn't look like there are any issues but I am limited to 64 Hz and no HDR.

I am pretty sure this is either the CPU or the AMD drivers(Tried last 3 drivers).  I am in contact with AMD support and will update later again.

0 Likes

I have exactly the same issue with my new PC. But the black flashes are very short and frequent (multiple times in one minute), monitor doesn't turn off, but could be due to the difference in monitors.

• AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
  • Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX
  • G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N
  • Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
  • be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850W

It was even worse running prime95 torture test, but the system was stable. Uninstalling the GPU via device manager solved the problem, so I though ... but maybe I didn't give it enough time.

I did a fresh Windows 11 install to troubleshoot, Windows Update installed the Radeon iGPU driver. Now I have the same issue, but a lot les frequent (once every 5 to 10 minutes with Prime95 on). So not 100% sure that the uninstall was a 100% stable. But no artefacts with the Microsoft driver...

Running the Heaven benchmark (Microsoft driver), I did get the first eventvwr message: display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfuly recovered. More black flashes when running the benchmark.

0 Likes

I expressed myself not good before, monitor just has no input for a brief moment. I have the flashes every few minutes, if not multiple flashes in a minute. The event viewer doesn't even always have an entry. Our problem looks quite similar, if not the same. The higher the refresh rate, it gets worse. If I change to 144 HZ 2560x1440 over HDMI(whether HDR on or not), the screen flashes every few seconds until I revert back to 120 or 60 Hz. Of course, it will happen even at 60 Hz, but every few minutes. I can't even start Ryzen Master or Adrenaline, neither of them can be rendered at all. I tried each version of BIOS for Asus board and didn't change anything. EXPO or no EXPO, no overclocking, it just fails.

Going back to default Windows drivers(not the one from Windows Update, actual default on Windows installation or after uninstalling the device) seems to fix this as I haven't had an issue with them, except that quality of rendering isn't good and I can't change refresh rate.

This issue is bothering me quite a lot and I am yet to hear anything from AMD. The fact that it happens also on a 7700X makes me think more that this is a driver issue, but not hardware issue. (The CPU is pretty good otherwise, no issues with it in terms of processor stuff).

Yes indeed, when I mean black flashes, it's like no monitor connection but my monitor waits for a long time untill it would say "no hdmi input".

I think I've found (my) problem!

An overview of my troubleshooting:

1. Fresh windows install with Gigabyte drivers: very bad and can't work with this
  2. Kept the windows installation, but changed to AMD drivers: very bad can't work like this
  3. Fresh windows install with Windows Radeon drivers: a lot better, I can work but it's annoying
  4. Same windows install with AMD drivers for chipset, iGPU, ... same, I can work but it's annoying
  5. Switched to my BENQ 1440p 144Hz with the same HDMI cable: no problem!
  6. Switched back to my Samsung 4K 60Hz and again black flashes, workable but annoying.

So I conclude that a fresh windows install helps and that the iGPU has an issue with my Samsung monitor or with 4K.

When I set the Samsung to 1440p, Windows tells me that the signal remains 4K, but the desktop is shown like 1440p (it's a kind of scaling). Black flashes like before.

Scaling itself doesn't change the behaviour, so it's not that.

I daily use the Samsung 4K on my Laptop, never had an issue.

0 Likes

That's interesting. I don't even have 4K since I don't like any 4K HDR monitors out there right now.  I have a Benq 2560x1440 HDR monitor with HDMI 144 Hz connection. It's an HDMI 2.1 cable to HDMI 2.0 input on the monitor, but I don't think that it's an issue because display port with usb-c adapter at 165 Hz also has the same error(less often but it still does). And same cables work with my very weak laptop without issues.

I will give a try with another monitor tomorrow, 1920x1080 and 60 Hz.

To be honest, I am bored of this whole situation. I don't want to buy any graphics cards because of the prices, especially not Nvidia. I've been with AMD cards since 9600xt in 2004 and have never faced such an issue. Since I don't want to waste more time, I am thinking of buying some cheap old gen card since I don't even play games much anymore.

By the way, where are the specs for display capabilities of these processors? I don't see it on the processor's page. If I had a 10K monitor with 120 Hz,  I am pretty sure it won't support it. But what is the maximum that it supports?

The flashes are from the driver trying control monitor resolution and refresh, and its a trash driver like amd got us used..  if there are istances where it does not happens.. do you think its working ? lol

0 Likes
ynr
Adept II

Update: Bought a 6700 xt and disabled the iGPU. Everything works okay for now. When the monitor sleeps, there is a minor flash before HDR is turned on, but it takes less than a second and doesn't look like anything driver  or hardware related.

I am pretty sure iGPU drivers are at fault. I will update how it went with the card in a while. Started an RMA for the CPU in the meantime.

0 Likes

Well, why not? What makes you think we aren't?

0 Likes
ynr
Adept II

Update: Borrowed a Dell U2719D(2560x1440, 60 Hz, No Freesync or HDR). Borrowed two more HDMI cables that work well for this monitor on another desktop. Loaded BIOS defaults, enabled/disabled EXPO, etc. Still the same result. Only Microsoft basic drivers work. I am not sure what the issue is since Microsoft basic drivers work fine, but none of the  AMD drivers does. Waiting for RMA to be accepted.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear this!

Running stable since my last post with the BENQ EX2780Q (2560x1440, 144Hz, Freesync). Works with HDR but I don't like the dynamic brightness, which I can't turn off in HDR.

0 Likes
aless75
Journeyman III

Hello

Exactly the same issue with 7950x and asrock Taichi 650E.. the funny part is that before installing amd drivers it was working fine.. any found a solution ???

Its just ridicolous, this plus all issues that amd gpus are having with drivers.. to behonest 

0 Likes

Before I install any drivers, Windows loads some default drivers which are dated 2006. Quality and FPS is very bad(limited to 64 Hz, no HDR, etc.), but it is stable, no flashes, artifacts or driver errors. Whether Windows updates drivers via Windows update or I install manually, issue repeats for me.

As for the solution, I am still waiting for my replacement CPU.

0 Likes
ynr
Adept II

The replacement CPU seems to work. I have tried it for a few hours, and there have been no issues so far. I will post an update if there will be any issues with it.

Hi, I have exactly the same processor and the same problems you mentioned... I think it is a driver / windows problem, but could you please confirm that with the replacement of the CPU it has not happened again? Was it then a CPU problem? Thank you very much.

0 Likes

The problem probably doesn't repeat with Linux. Even when I had screen artifacts at Windows, the Linux VM I had running with VMWare under Windows wouldn't have issues. But Windows had issues every few minutes, generally seconds. After the replacement CPU, I had a flash once on Youtube, and Viber desktop app causes flashes from time to time. But there has never been any artifacts.

I can't say for sure if it's hardware or driver because AMD never told me anything about the reason. But the new hardware has fixed my issue for now. and none of the drivers for this CPU has fixed the problem.

I tried everything except PSU before starting an RMA. I ruled PSU out when external graphics card worked. If I were you, I'd try with another AM5 processor if you have the chance or an external graphics card to make sure.

0 Likes

iTunes is another app that causes a flash for half a second.

0 Likes
sallend
Journeyman III

on the driver whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.2.1-win10-win11-feb14 everything works great

0 Likes